Rob., it seems they will concentrate only on Euro 2024 and won't bid for Olympics 2024. That is what their media assumes. I would also assume that since they built or still build a lot of 30K+ stadiums all over the country. That says much ;)

Smart move. Whoever gets the 2024 Olympics, I seriously doubt it would be Istanbul. Especially if we end up with 3 Asian Games in a row.

• 2 weeks later...

Voting procedure for selection of UEFA EURO 2020 hosts confirmed

The voting procedure (See annex: http://uefa.to/1hIRlIt) for the allocation of matches for UEFA EURO 2020 was confirmed, and the announcement ceremony will take place at the Espace Hippomène in Geneva on 19 September 2014.

The winning bid for the final and two semi-finals will be selected first, followed by the four venues which will host the quarter-finals and three group matches.

Subsequently, regional zones, which will be finalised by the end of August by the UEFA Executive Committee members whose associations are not bidding, will apply for the appointment of venues for the round of 16 and three group matches, before the remaining venues are decided for the remaining matches. Regional zoning, each comprising at least two venues, will ensure that matches are held widespread across Europe.

UEFA

• 1 month later...

Now I found this topic and clearly I have to comment on this. At first I also thought this would be a bad idea splitting the EURO2020 so much up. But perhaps it could Work okay, for once.

Out of the 19 citys I see the following win with pairing in Groups, as I think it will be to reduce travelling way to much in the pre games.

Group A
Stockholm (+1/8)

Copenhagen (+1/8)

Group B
Glasgow (+ 1/8)
Cardiff (+ 1/4)

Group C
Baku (+1/4)
Minsk (+1/8)

Group D
Bruxelles (+1/4)
Amsterdam (+1/8)

Group E
Rom (+1/4)
Bilbao (+1/8)

Group F
Budapest (+1/8)
Bukarest (+ 1/8)

And of course the semi and final to Wembley and London.

This will spread it all over I think. But I can´s seem to find out how the teams shall be drawn. What if Denmark come in Group with Italy, who has then home field? or none of them? I cant find any good solution. Or is all 12 countries that gets chosen automatically qualified, and get paired automatically perhap? So if this happens Denmark and Sweden in the same Group. Hungary and Rumania in the same Group? Perhaps. :) Time will show

Regards
Hans

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
England’s bid for Euro 2020 boosted as Germany consider dropping Munich

England’s bid to host the semi-finals and final of Euro 2020 at Wembley may be completely unchallenged at next month’s vote, with Germany FA chiefs considering dropping Munich’s rival bid.

Germany wants to stage Euro 2024 and the German Football Association (DFB) may now only bid for Munich to host group games at Euro 2020 in order not to harm its campaign for the tournament four years later. Uefa is holding Euro 2020 in 13 different countries to mark the 60th anniversary of the tournament and only Wembley and Munich’s Allianz Arena have put in bids to host the climax of the competition – the semi-finals and final – ahead of the vote on 19 September.

The DFB president Wolfgang Niersbach said that a decision on whether to press ahead with a bid for the final remains “open” – but in a huge boost for England’s hopes made it clear that both the DFB and the FA would work together to support each other.

Niersbach said: “We still have the two options – to host the final rounds or four matches in the first rounds. Our decision is open. We have an excellent and wonderful relationship with the England FA. We are sitting together very often and thinking about the possibilities of how we can support the other association.

“It is still open but I am totally convinced that we will have both Wembley and Munich on the land map for Euro 2020. Discussions on the final round are still open. But we are very relaxed about it.”

It is understood talks took place between the FA and DFB in June where the possibility of withdrawing Munich’s bid for the final were raised by the Germans.

Niersbach also confirmed that Germany would bid for Euro 2024, which would be the first major men’s football tournament the country has hosted since its hugely successful World Cup in 2006. “I officially announced already at our general assembly in October 2013 that we want to host Euro 2024,” he added.

The FA has already tried to shore up support for Wembley within Uefa by pulling out of the running to host Fifa’s 2019 women’s World Cup, leaving the field in Europe free for France to bid against South Korea, New Zealand and South Africa.

For the Euro 2024 tournament, Germany would be up against Turkey in the bidding – the Turkish federation withdrew Istanbul as a potential candidate for the Euro 2020 final to target hosting Euro 2024 alone.

Some 19 countries are bidding to host games in Euro 2020, most targeting a package of three group-stage matches in the 24-team tournament, plus a single knockout match from the last 16 or quarter-finals. Glasgow, Cardiff and Dublin have bid to host early matches, along with Bilbao, Rome, Munich, Stockholm, St Petersburg, Amsterdam, Brussels, Copenhagen, Jerusalem, Sofia, Bucharest, Budapest, Baku, Minsk and Skopje

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/06/england-euro-2020-bid-wembley-munich-germany-dfb-football-european-championship

• 2 weeks later...

Baku 2020: Be Inspired

player.vimeo.com/video/103502723

AFFA

UEFA EURO 2020 hosts to be revealed in Geneva

The UEFA Executive Committee will select the 13 host associations for UEFA EURO 2020 on Friday 19 September 2014.

The announcement ceremony will take place at the Espace Hippomène, Avenue de Châtelaine 7, 1203 Geneva, Switzerland at 13.00CET.

The decision to stage a 'EURO for Europe' in various major cities throughout the continent follows an initial idea presented by the UEFA President Michel Platini in consultation with UEFA's member associations. It was ratified by the UEFA Executive Committee at its meeting in Lausanne in December 2012.

Match packages

The matches have been split into 13 different packages. There are 12 standard packages, including three group matches and one knockout round match (round of 16 or quarter-finals), and one package for the semi-finals and the final.

The 19 member associations/cities that have submitted bid dossiers for the standard package, in alphabetical order, are:

Azerbaijan/Baku

Belarus/Minsk

Belgium/Brussels

Bulgaria/Sofia

Denmark/Copenhagen

England/London

Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia/Skopje

Germany/Munich

Hungary/Budapest

Israel/Jerusalem

Italy/Rome

Netherlands/Amsterdam

Republic of Ireland/Dublin

Romania/Bucharest

Russia/Saint Petersburg

Scotland/Glasgow

Spain/Bilbao

Sweden/Stockholm

Wales/Cardiff

The member associations/cities that have submitted bid dossiers for the semi-finals/final package, in alphabetical order, are:

England/London

Germany/Munich

The programme for the day of the UEFA EURO 2020 hosts announcement ceremony is as follows:

09.00-13.00: Deliberation and voting by the UEFA Executive Committee

13.00: Announcement of the host associations of UEFA EURO 2020

13.30: Press conference, interviews with winning associations and bidding delegations

Voting procedure

The distribution of the bids into between six and eight geographical zones will be approved prior to the UEFA Executive Committee meeting on Thursday 18 September, by members of the UEFA Executive Committee whose member association is not among the 19 bidders.

Regional zoning, each comprising at least two venues, will ensure that matches take place throughout Europe.

The voting process itself will comprise four successive phases.

The first voting phase will determine the association/city that will host the final and semi-finals.

The second phase will determine the four associations/cities that will each host one quarter-final and three group matches.

The third phase will determine one association/city (to host one round of 16 match and three group matches) in each geographical zone that has not yet been selected in the first two phases.

And the fourth phase will determine the remaining associations/cities that will each host one round of 16 match and three group matches.

UEFA

Is Munich's withdrawl official now?

Maybe it's not official-official yet, but seems like an agreement between FA/DFB is in the making.

Would make no sense to bid for the 2020 finals and 2024 IMO.

Of course, the Euro 2024 bids both from Germany and Turkey could have direct implications for the Olympic bids they might also pursue.

Wembley Stadium here in London, England definitley deserves the Semi-Finals and The Final. We have waited too long for some sort of Football Tournament, it's our Time. If Fifa doesn't do the right thing and give us the 2018 or 2022 Fifa World Cup (Just My opinion), then we should at least get the 2030 Fifa World Cup.

Wembley Stadium here in London, England definitley deserves the Semi-Finals and The Final. We have waited too long for some sort of Football Tournament, it's our Time. If Fifa doesn't do the right thing and give us the 2018 or 2022 Fifa World Cup (Just My opinion), then we should at least get the 2030 Fifa World Cup.

I'd just like to point out that the gap between the 1966 WC and Euro 96 was 30 years. So a 24 year break until a possible Euro 2024 final package does not seem "too long". There's other countries too, and frankly, in this decade, the UK has got more than a fair share of sports hostings, so you shouldn't complan at all.

• Like 1

lol

London (Wembley Stadium) hosted both 2011 and 2013 Champions League Finals so has had a major football event 2 years apart. London will host Euro 2020 matches thats pretty much a given but no city DESERVES to host the semi - finals/Final.

I'd just like to point out that the gap between the 1966 WC and Euro 96 was 30 years. So a 24 year break until a possible Euro 2024 final package does not seem "too long". There's other countries too, and frankly, in this decade, the UK has got more than a fair share of sports hostings, so you shouldn't complan at all.

Please stop saying UK. It's 4 Separate Countries. ENGLAND has Hosted a few. Russia and America has also Hosted alot.

Please stop saying UK. It's 4 Separate Countries. ENGLAND has Hosted a few. Russia and America has also Hosted alot.

Yeah, let's narrow it down to England only. And compare to what was/will be hosted there this decade to the hostings of Russia and "America" (which is a continent or even two, BTW - my guess is you're referring to the US and there I must ask what exactly us on their hosting agenda this decade???).

England: Olympics, Rugby WC, IAAF Worlds, Champions League final several times, just off the top of my head

Russia: Olympics, FIFA WC, Swimming Worlds, IAAF Worlds, Universiade, just off the top of my head

US: see above

A country (if you insist) the size of England is measuring quite well against much bigger Russia, no?

So stop whining about "deserving" and "waited too long".

• Like 1

Yeah, let's narrow it down to England only. And compare to what was/will be hosted there this decade to the hostings of Russia and "America" (which is a continent or even two, BTW - my guess is you're referring to the US and there I must ask what exactly us on their hosting agenda this decade???).

England: Olympics, Rugby WC, IAAF Worlds, Champions League final several times, just off the top of my head

Russia: Olympics, FIFA WC, Swimming Worlds, IAAF Worlds, Universiade, just off the top of my head

US: see above

A country (if you insist) the size of England is measuring quite well against much bigger Russia, no?

So stop whining about "deserving" and "waited too long".

Just because America and Russia are bigger in terms of land, doesn't mean they deserve to Host more.

England is the Home of Football. We are due a Fifa World Cup.

Sorry to go in to this thread. But you sound like a Little kid who can´t get his candy...

I do agree that it would be nice to have a World Cup in England, and if Germany want to go for 2024, therefor ofcourse the semi and finals go to England in 2020. But stop with that low arguments sounding like a kid for candy! We deserve and it´s our turn... That are not good arguments to win with!

What does Spain deserve then? They havn´t had a soccer tournament since 1982 World cup, Italy 1990. England has hat it 1996...

And why not go back to the topic for this thread. Do you think Denmark has a chance for one of the package?

• 2 weeks later...

Germany bids for Euro 2020

Germany will not withdraw its bid to host matches of the Euro 2020 tournament even though it could undermine the nation's chances of getting the whole 2024 edition.

German football federation president Wolfgang Niersbach said on Tuesday at a news conference in Austria that landing the 2024 event was the priority, but that the DFB will wait for the selection of 2020 host cities set for September 19 by the ruling body Uefa.

"We will stick to this until the day it is decided. What happens then remains to be seen," Niersbach said, adding "It is our biggest wish to stage the whole Euro 2024 tournament."

Euro 2020 is to be played in 13 cities across the continent. Germany is bidding with Munich for a group stage/early knock-out stages package, and along with London for the semifinals/final package.

Germany's chances of getting Euro 2024 are likely not good if Munich is chosen to host the 2020 semis and final.

Niersbach also said that a possible Olympic bid for 2024 (either in Hamburg or Berlin) would not clash with their Euro ambitions although the two big events would take place within a few weeks.

"I see no clash. A German Olympic bid would have our biggest respect. There is no competition," Niersbach said, adding that the matter has been discussed with German Olympic supremo Alfons Hoermann.

© Sapa-DPA

sm_printer.png

http://www.supersport.com/football/germany/news/140902/Germany_bids_for_Euro_2020

Well, this article from today (in German)

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/fussball-em-2024-deutschland-schliesst-deal-mit-england-a-989730.html

cites the DFB Secretary General as saying a deal was made with the FA so that Munich will not bid for the 2020 final package, getting support from the FA for a full 2024 tournament and again supporting England for a full 2028 tournament.

The latter is the first time mentioned, maybe FA is really not interested in dealing with FIFA anymore and much to Tony's despair not aiming for the 2030 centennial WC...

• Like 1

Well, this article from today (in German)

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/fussball-em-2024-deutschland-schliesst-deal-mit-england-a-989730.html

cites the DFB Secretary General as saying a deal was made with the FA so that Munich will not bid for the 2020 final package, getting support from the FA for a full 2024 tournament and again supporting England for a full 2028 tournament.

The latter is the first time mentioned, maybe FA is really not interested in dealing with FIFA anymore and much to Tony's despair not aiming for the 2030 centennial WC...

It's not, certainly not 2026, and 2030 might be asking a lot of our FA and our government too. This from July after Greg Dyke's first FIFA congress as head of the FA...

"It was like something out of North Korea. It was all `Hail to the leader,"'

"We've already taken the decision that we will not bid for FIFA tournaments - our decision is we will concentrate in the years ahead on bidding for UEFA tournaments"

"Would we leave FIFA? Not on our own, no. I don't think we should walk out of FIFA because within a week everyone has forgotten you."

"I don't think that sort of gesture-politics would help. I think trying to reform through UEFA and from the inside is the better way forward."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fifa-is-like-north-korea-and-we-wont-back-sepp-blatter-if-he-stands-for-reelection--fa-chief-greg-dyke-9621541.html

Not dealing with backwards, corrpupt nations that keep Blatter in power is a decision I'm perfectly happy with. After the disgusting display of borderline xenophobia that FIFA congress treated us all to in 2011, in reaction to our FA questioning Blatter's one-man election, I think keeping our distance from the cesspit that is FIFA is a rather good idea. Frankly. we're better than to get involved with it all.

So yes,,,anyway, rant over. A deal between Germany and England for mutual support eh? It would be strange to have a sequence of finals which read Paris - London - Berlin - London. Surely 2032 would have to go to Eastern or Southern Europe if the deals were successful and that transpired.

• 3 weeks later...

UEFA announced the list of host cities today:

England/London – semi-finals and final
Azerbaijan/Baku – three group games, one quarter-final
Belgium/Brussels – three group games, one round of 16 game
Denmark/Copenhagen – three group games, one round of 16 game
Germany/Munich – three group games, one quarter-final
Hungary/Budapest – three group games, one round of 16 game
Italy/Rome – three group games, one quarter-final
Netherlands/Amsterdam – three group games, one round of 16 game
Republic of Ireland/Dublin – three group games, one round of 16 game
Romania/Bucharest – three group games, one round of 16 game
Russia/Saint Petersburg – three group games, one quarter-final
Scotland/Glasgow – three group games, one round of 16 game
Spain/Bilbao – three group games, one round of 16 game
you can rewatch the announcement ceremony here: http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/about-euro/index.html
The big loser is Stockholm, they have a great modern stadium that never hosted a major football event, but UEFA went for Copenhagen instead.

The big loser is Stockholm, they have a great modern stadium that never hosted a major football event, but UEFA went for Copenhagen instead.

No, Danemark never hosted a major football event, Sweden hosted EURO 1992 and FIFA World Cup 1958, but I agree that Stockholm is the big loser here.

Baku is the biggest suprise for me.

Well I´m ofcourse happy we were chosen, but sad about Stockholm. I really sa

I really saw it as the most logic that both Copenhagen and Stockholm hosted a Group. But this is our best chance to hold a big football tournament. Perhaps Womens championschip is a possibility, but not mens best. So happy and a bit surprised because our stadium is clearly the smallest of all.

No, Danemark never hosted a major football event, Sweden hosted EURO 1992 and FIFA World Cup 1958, but I agree that Stockholm is the big loser here.

Baku is the biggest suprise for me.

Baku is not a surprise. The Aliyev regime is trying to promote itself through sports ( and Eurovision). They seem well connected, just think of this European Games thing next year.