Capacity?

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=35100

(WFI) Five more European football associations tell World Football INSIDER they are not interested in bidding for Euro 2020, paving the way for Turkey to secure hosting rights later this month - unless the Turkish government chooses to back Istanbul's 2020 Olympic bid.

Previously touted as possible contenders for Euro 2020, the FAs told INSIDER they would not now be bidding against the favourite Turkey, whose football federation announced plans to bid in mid-April.

Officials from the FAs of Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Hungary, Romania and Serbia ruled out bids for their countries. The German FA ruled out a bid last Friday, while Bulgaria and the Netherlands also last month ended speculation they might enter the UEFA contest.

A joint Azerbaijan-Georgia bid remains a possibility, but INSIDER was told on Thursday by an Azeri source that the FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup hosts were only focusing on the Baku 2020 Olympic bid.

It leaves Turkey as the only bidder for Euro 2020.

A UEFA spokesman declined to comment on whether any other nations had submitted their interest in holding the European championships after France 2016. That won't be made clear until after May 15, the deadline set by UEFA for its 53 member nations to register interest in hosting Euro 2020.

But if Turkey turns out to be the only country bidding to stage the tournament, UEFA has said it would then proceed with collecting all necessary guarantees with the aim of confirming the hosts. Otherwise, the vote would not be held until late 2013 or early 2014.

UEFA president Michel Platini has expressed support for Turkey after it missed out to France by one vote in 2010 in the bidding contest to stage the expanded 24-nation Euro 2016. But he indicated last month that he would only back Turkey's candidacy if Istanbul's bid for the 2020 Olympics failed.

Istanbul 2020 officials maintain they have support at every level of government.

Bid leader Hasan Arat, who is also vice president of the Turkish NOC, told INSIDER that the bid had given all guarantees to the IOC and securing the Olympics was "a national priority" reinforced in recent comments made by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

But only last month Erdogan called on Platini to award Turkey the European Championships in a speech to the UEFA Congress in Istanbul in March. “I would like to repeat the request to host the European Championship in Istanbul in 2020," he told the congress.

In remarks to INSIDER at an Olympics and world sports convention in Moscow last month, Arat also said any Turkish FA pitch for Euro 2020 "will not hurt our bid".

However, if Turkey is a shoo-in for Euro 2020, it leaves the Turkish government with a major headache - does it back football, the country's most popular sport, or face losing a fifth Olympic bid in a tough five-city race for the 2020 Games.

With strong competition from Baku, Doha, Madrid and Tokyo for 2020 hosting rights, the easy decision for the Turkish government will be to drop its Olympic bid.

The IOC is scheduled to shortlist the 2020 cities on May 23 at SportAccord in Quebec City.

That process could yet be made easier if Istanbul abandons its bid campaign to focus on Euro 2020.

Might have sealed Istanbul's fate.

If they abandon the Olympic bid after making such a production of how this time is different and they're going all out, I don't see the IOC taking them seriously for quite a while.

Only 1 bid... The problem is the economic situation in Europe, nobody wants spend money to build stadiums...

But some countries could host this event without spend lot of money, like Germany or England...

Maybe UEFA/FIFA standard for stadium are to high to have lucrative stadium after Euro/Worldcup. It's the problem actually in Brazil, FIFA wants stadium with lot of lodge while it isn't in the Brazilian culture to have this kind of facilities in their stadium, but this lodges and other facilities are very expensive when you build a stadium, and the majority of stadiums sometimes are to big for cities (look in South Africa, lot of white Elephant).

But some countries could host this event without spend lot of money, like Germany or England...

Well, England is pissed off after their 2018 FIFA World Cup bid and the only football event Germany seems to be interested in in hosting is this year's Euro.

Only 1 bid... The problem is the economic situation in Europe, nobody wants spend money to build stadiums...

Spain, England, Germany. All could host tomorrow probably. But Germany isn't interested and probably doesn't feel like going into this race as UEFA's back-up plan to Turkey, Spain is bidding for the Olympics, and England was only in '96 plus there's no appetite for bidding for any kind of football tournament in this country right now.

For other countries, you're right, there's probably not the will to spend money on stadiums at the moment. Italy being a good example (see Rome 2020).

The problem is I think UEFA has come out too strongly in favour of Turkey to heal the pain of their 2016 defeat. All the noises suggest Turkey will get this, Platini has been very quick to back Turkey's bid, and other countries with pride and footballing history don't want to be in the race as 'back-ups' to the Turkish bid.

• Like 1

Spain, England, Germany. All could host tomorrow probably. But Germany isn't interested and probably doesn't feel like going into this race as UEFA's back-up plan to Turkey, Spain is bidding for the Olympics, and England was only in '96 plus there's no appetite for bidding for any kind of football tournament in this country right now.

For other countries, you're right, there's probably not the will to spend money on stadiums at the moment. Italy being a good example (see Rome 2020).

The problem is I think UEFA has come out too strongly in favour of Turkey to heal the pain of their 2016 defeat. All the noises suggest Turkey will get this, Platini has been very quick to back Turkey's bid, and other countries with pride and footballing history don't want to be in the race as 'back-ups' to the Turkish bid.

Germany like the Netherlands like Bulgaria-Romania had all previously expressed interest and only in the last 6 weeks have decided to withdraw from the process.

If Istanbul get the 2020 games that might go against Turkey's bid.

Germany like the Netherlands like Bulgaria-Romania had all previously expressed interest and only in the last 6 weeks have decided to withdraw from the process.

If Istanbul get the 2020 games that might go against Turkey's bid.

The whole point here is that if no one else bids by May 15, Turkey will get Euro 2020 by default, effectively scuppering their Olympic bid. UEFA has no incentive to wait for the IOC to vote before moving ahead. If they only have one bidder, they'll move to lock it in quickly. Turkey cannot do both Euro 2020 and the Olympics. The IOC wouldn't go for that anyway.

I think it would be smart of any country that was on the fringes to bid. It might be given to them by default if Turkey withdraws.

The whole point here is that if no one else bids by May 15, Turkey will get Euro 2020 by default, effectively scuppering their Olympic bid. UEFA has no incentive to wait for the IOC to vote before moving ahead. If they only have one bidder, they'll move to lock it in quickly. Turkey cannot do both Euro 2020 and the Olympics. The IOC wouldn't go for that anyway.

The question is, does Turkey have to lock itself so quickly? Turkey may have bid for the Euro 2020 under the presumption that the winner would've been decided after the IOC vote.

The question is, does Turkey have to lock itself so quickly? Turkey may have bid for the Euro 2020 under the presumption that the winner would've been decided after the IOC vote.

But UEFA has already said they'll move forward with Turkey if there are no more bidders. Even if UEFA said , "We'll sit on our hands and wait for the IOC." do you really think the IOC would seriously consider Istanbul? I don't.

Does anyone think, for example Cyprus bids and Turkey withdraws that Cyprus will be given the tournament automatically?

UEFA wants a compensation to Turkey, that's the only reason every country had withdrawn in less than 2 weeks!!

Nope, UEFA will only give the tournament to Turkey! Sad, since i support Istanbul for the 2020 SOG :( it's being time to choose another city to support! :lol: Madrid perhaps...

well if i was the football federation of Turkey, i will withdraw the candidature of 2020 uefa. and take revenge from Platini of 2016 ( let him think about who gonna organize it ) . and give a signal to IOC that whole country backing istanbul even we can definetly host uefa but back for safe of the games in istanbul.

well if i was the football federation of Turkey, i will withdraw the candidature of 2020 uefa. and take revenge from Platini of 2016 ( let him think about who gonna organize it ) . and give a signal to IOC that whole country backing istanbul even we can definetly host uefa but back for safe of the games in istanbul.

The complicated thing is that if Turkey is the only bidder, they would be awarded the EURO 2020 for sure, but if they withdraw, it doesn't mean the IOC would automatically give the Olympics to Istanbul. Turkey could end up hosting nothing in 2020, so they may decide not to risk laughing at UEFA and accept what is secure...

This would have been the best move, but it should have happened many weeks ago. Doing it now would be too late. The bid deadline is a little over a week away. For Turkey to withdraw now would look spiteful, dishonorable and self-interested. They would make a lot of enemies.

I think the die is cast. Turkey will host Euro 2020 and will not get the Olympics. The only question is whether they waste millions of dollars to continue an Olympic campaign they cannot win. It would be smarter for them to withdraw, although that will look bad to the IOC.

I hate to say it, but Turkey painted themselves into this corner by going for both events. Considering the uproar surrounding the 2016 vote, not to mention Europe's economic woes, it was foreseeable that Turkey would be the only bidder and they should have been more prepared for that possibility. As it is, it looks like they just didn't think any of this through.

You can be certain that if Turkey was to drop out, there are several countries who already have the stadia and infrastructure to host the Euros at minimal cost and at a profit, without all the razamataz that a bidding contest would bring.

When there were concerns about Ukraine being able to complete their stadia it was suggested that Germany could step in at the last moment.

i have no idea what they r talking about behind doors. but what im sure is recep tayyip Erdogan wont be very happy if both organizations flip away from our hands . i dont like him, im sure they r thinking st not to upset IOC and UEFA ... may be a proper plan, just the final match in ıstanbul for euro 2020 they gonna make. but we will see. im as much as excited as u guys about how this catastophic situation gonna solved :D

Honestly, I think Turkey needs to press on with the Euros bid if it's the only candidate for the tournament. Any other course would be foolhardy.

I think it then needs to withdraw its Olympic bid but do so in a way that limits the damage. I think this is entirely possible by the way.

Explain that the Euros weren't seen as the national priority unlike the Games but that the opportunity to host the Euros is too good to miss. State that the circumstances surrounding the Euro 2020 award are unusual and that it is not Turkey's fault nobody else bid causing the expected awarding timelines to be reversed. Restate how committed Turkey has been in the past with several failed bids, and make a promise to be back for 2024.

• Like 1

Honestly, I think Turkey needs to press on with the Euros bid if it's the only candidate for the tournament. Any other course would be foolhardy.

I think it then needs to withdraw its Olympic bid but do so in a way that limits the damage. I think this is entirely possible by the way.

Explain that the Euros weren't seen as the national priority unlike the Games but that the opportunity to host the Euros is too good to miss. State that the circumstances surrounding the Euro 2020 award are unusual and that it is not Turkey's fault nobody else bid causing the expected awarding timelines to be reversed. Restate how committed Turkey has been in the past with several failed bids, and make a promise to be back for 2024.

I totally agree. They need to embrace Euro 2020, drop out of the Olympic race with apologies and pledge to return stronger than ever because of their Euro experience.

If only it were that easy. Think about it this way. We have factions in Toronto, Chicago, Durban and Paris that are probably kicking themselves that they aren't bidding for 2020, who chose not to bid because back when the deadline hit, they all thought it wasn't their time. What good will it do for Istanbul to prematurely withdraw from the race 15 months before the vote, only to possibly kick themselves after? They are in an envious position of being 1 of 5 cities with the chance to win 2020, and most of those cities aren't really resonating to begin with. The worst that happens is they lose 2020, big whoop. They aren't getting 2024 regardless.

It was too soon for Toronto because of Vancouver. They would not have won. The USOC wouldn't bid without the revenue deal and there have been no signs that Chicago ever wanted 2020. Durban stepped out not because they were afraid of the competition, but because they had more pressing domestic concerns. Paris could've had a shot at 2020, but didn't have time or heart to spin out another bid after Annecy's crushing loss. With the possible exception of Paris (and even that's dubious, considering the new government) I doubt any of those cities see 2020 as a missed opportunity.

Istanbul is not lucky to be an applicant city. They're an applicant because they paid a fee and submitted an application. Staying in this race will cost them tens of millions. If the IOC does accept them and if they do stay in the race. They won't have won my respect. I will just see them making a foolhardy choice to throw away millions.

Euro 2020 makes it completely impossible for them to beat Tokyo. And you can bet the Japanese see exactly what's happened. This race couldn't be shaping up any better for them. They aren't going to let anything stand in their way now.

It was too soon for Toronto because of Vancouver. They would not have won. The USOC wouldn't bid without the revenue deal and there have been no signs that Chicago ever wanted 2020. Durban stepped out not because they were afraid of the competition, but because they had more pressing domestic concerns. Paris could've had a shot at 2020, but didn't have time or heart to spin out another bid after Annecy's crushing loss. With the possible exception of Paris (and even that's dubious, considering the new government) I doubt any of those cities see 2020 as a missed opportunity.

Istanbul is not lucky to be an applicant city. They're an applicant because they paid a fee and submitted an application. Staying in this race will cost them tens of millions. If the IOC does accept them and if they do stay in the race. They won't have won my respect. I will just see them making a foolhardy choice to throw away millions.

Euro 2020 makes it completely impossible for them to beat Tokyo. And you can bet the Japanese see exactly what's happened. This race couldn't be shaping up any better for them. They aren't going to let anything stand in their way now.

You can't compare Toronto to a winter games in Vancouver. Toronto is two time zones away, would offer a "safe host", an economy that is in much better shape then current frontrunners Tokyo, and a very compact plan which would be hard to refuse for the third time. If Rome wasn't bidding from the get go and Toronto's huge surplus in its budget came earlier I truly believe Toronto would have bid, and potentially would have been a frontrunner.