Turkey withdrew. They will concentrate on EURO 2024 bid. IMO that is a wise desicion after being robbed in 2016 and later deceived in 2020. Turkey deserves the whole EURO tournament not a part of it.

Oh wow, that's big news if true.

Have you got a source? I'm Googling it now and looking on Twitter and can't see anything about this yet.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you got a source? I'm Googling it now and looking on Twitter and can't see anything about this yet.

All Turkish media is writing about it. Here is CNN Türk link http://www.cnnturk.com/haber/spor/futbol/turkiye-euro-2020ye-aday-olmayacak and here is ntvmsnbc http://www.ntvmsnbc.com/id/25512174/

Same here. I've been looking all over Google and Twitter. Sorry for off topic, Rob can you respond to my PM please. Thanks.

Looks like UEFA Euro 2020 Final and Semi-Finals are coming to Wembley! :D

Thanks Galandar, you're on the ball.

So, is 2024 going to be another fight between the Turkish FA who want the Euros and the government who want the Olympics? They're good at tying themselves in knots and ending up with bugger all. Not that I mind at the moment, as I'm not sure awarding Erdogan with anything is a wise move.

And who's now favourite for the finals matches? I'd suggest Wembley looks like the favourite now, but Germany has an excellent track record, UEFA might want to reward Spain for their recent form on the pitch, and Brussels is the only city offering a new build for the final so maybe they'll decide that offers the best legacy from the tournament.

Things getting interesting...I'm still not sure I like this idea, but it certainly throws up some talking points....

Rob., it seems they will concentrate only on Euro 2024 and won't bid for Olympics 2024. That is what their media assumes. I would also assume that since they built or still build a lot of 30K+ stadiums all over the country. That says much ;)

That's Istanbul's problem if they only Bidded for the Final Package. Wembley Stadium deserves the Final and Semi-Finals, especially after the bizarre Bidding Process Farce of the 2018/2022 Fifa World Cup's.

Can you explain the correlation between the bidding between both events? :rolleyes:

Thanks Galandar, you're on the ball.

So, is 2024 going to be another fight between the Turkish FA who want the Euros and the government who want the Olympics? They're good at tying themselves in knots and ending up with bugger all. Not that I mind at the moment, as I'm not sure awarding Erdogan with anything is a wise move.

And who's now favourite for the finals matches? I'd suggest Wembley looks like the favourite now, but Germany has an excellent track record, UEFA might want to reward Spain for their recent form on the pitch, and Brussels is the only city offering a new build for the final so maybe they'll decide that offers the best legacy from the tournament.

Things getting interesting...I'm still not sure I like this idea, but it certainly throws up some talking points....

Interesting indeed...DFB (the German federation) already threw its hat in the ring for 2024 some months ago, initially even planning only to bid for the 2020 group matches (to give Turkey a better chance apparently). Then they also decided to bid for the final/semi package as well, and now Turkey is making this move...

In a very, very wild case of speculation, one could argue that DFB might not go for 2024 now but instead Germany will aim for the Summer Olympics...but that's probably too far fetched.

from Reuters

"We will soon have the 13 stadiums that suit the capacity criteria of European Football Championship. That being the case, Turkey is in a position to host the whole tournament by itself with its communication infrastructure, travelling and accommodation opportunities and above all, passion for football," the Turkish Football Federation said on its website on Friday.

"For this reason, our board today decided not to bid for the semi-final and final games of Euro 2020," it added.

Istanbul was among the favourites to stage the final and both semi-finals.

The statement also said that Turkey will be bidding to host Euro 2024.

Isn't spreading this tournament across the whole continent going to be a travelling nightmare?

No more than having a World Cup tournament for example in USA. The railway and air connections between different countries are very good, especially between the major cities which would serve as host cities. Of course it's more convenient to stage a traditional tournament in one or two host nations but I don't see this as a major issue.

Looking at those finals packages, now that Istanbul has pulled out it's hard not to see Wembley as huge favourite here

You'd surely rule Kiev out now politically and given the fact they had Euro 2012. Brussels is proposing a swanky new stadium but the capacity is said to only be 60k. Munich's Allianz and Madrid's Estadio La Peineta are both 20k shy of what Wembley offers and Bilbao with a 53k stadium is surely a no hoper.

No Bernabau or Nou Camp from Spain whose capacities are a match for Wembley, France isn't bidding because of 2016 so Stade de France is out, Attaturk is out now Istanbul's gone, no Russian bid for the finals with their huge stadium. So Wembley looks like the only European mega-stadium bidding. UEFA loves Wembley as a venue because it is the most enormous cash cow in Europe and is a very easy stadium to organise big matches in.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing England miss out and Cardiff and Dublin winning the right to stage matches in the British Isles region (I'm still hopeful of seeing an England World cup under a reformed FIFA - optimistic much Rob!). I think this tournament is a good chance to see smaller nations host and the Millennium and Aviva Stadiums are both fantastic modern grounds well worthy of matches. Sadly I'm not sure Scotland's Hampden really compares.

Hold on, scrap most of that, it seems we've only got TWO bids for the finals package....

The member associations/cities that submitted bid dossiers for the standard package are, in alphabetical order;

Azerbaijan/Baku, Belarus/Minsk, Belgium/Brussels, Bulgaria/Sofia, Denmark/Copenhagen, England/London, FYROM/Skopje, Germany/Munich, Hungary/Budapest, Israel/Jerusalem, Italy/Rome, Netherlands/Amsterdam, Republic of Ireland/Dublin, Romania/Bucharest, Russia/Saint Petersburg, Scotland/Glasgow, Spain/Bilbao, Sweden/Stockholm, Wales/Cardiff.

The member associations/cities that submitted bid dossiers for the semi-finals/final package are, in alphabetical order;

England/London and Germany/Munich.

http://www.uefa.org/mediaservices/mediareleases/newsid=2096100.html

Nineteen bids for UEFA EURO 2020
Published: Saturday 26 April 2014, 12.05CET

UEFA has received final bid dossiers to host UEFA EURO 2020 from 19 member associations, following the expiry of Friday's deadline set out in the bid regulations.

The UEFA EURO 2020 final tournament will be staged in 13 cities across Europe, following a decision taken by the UEFA Executive Committee in January 2013. The matches will be split into 13 different packages, with 12 standard packages, including three group matches and one knockout round (round of 16 or quarter-finals), and one package for the semi-finals and the final.

The member associations/cities that submitted bid dossiers for the standard package are, in alphabetical order: Azerbaijan (Baku), Belarus (Minsk), Belgium (Brussels), Bulgaria (Sofia), Denmark (Copenhagen), England (London), Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (Skopje), Germany (Munich), Hungary (Budapest), Israel (Jerusalem), Italy (Rome), Netherlands (Amsterdam), Republic of Ireland (Dublin), Romania (Bucharest), Russia (Saint Petersburg), Scotland (Glasgow), Spain (Bilbao), Sweden (Stockholm), Wales (Cardiff).

The member associations/cities that submitted bid dossiers for the semi-finals/final package are, in alphabetical order: England (London) and Germany (Munich).

Thirty-two member associations had expressed an interest in hosting the tournament by the first deadline of 12 September 2013 and were thus provided with the detailed bid requirements to allow them to prepare their dossiers for the subsequent phase of the process.

"We are extremely happy to have received so many bids to host UEFA EURO 2020," said UEFA President Michel Platini. "The 60th year anniversary edition of the tournament will be an historic one, with matches played in many European countries.

"By spreading the EURO across our continent, we will allow more fans from more nations to share in the excitement of hosting such a magical event. Member associations will also benefit greatly from this format, since more of them will be exposed to an elite tournament and have the opportunity to increase the development of football in their respective countries. I wish all the candidates the best of luck in this bidding process."

The UEFA administration will examine the bid dossiers and prepare written evaluation reports for submission to the UEFA Executive Committee. The final decision on the appointment of the 13 hosts of UEFA EURO 2020 will be taken by the UEFA Executive Committee on 19 September in Geneva.

Further information on the announcement ceremony will be communicated in due course.

UEFA

Ok. I know that Gotosy's Post contains the Bidding Cities/Countries, but here is the list with the Stadiums:

1) England - London - Wembley Stadium (90,000 Seats). No Works Required.

2) Germany - Munich - Allianz Arena (66,000 Seats) All Seater Mode.

3) Republic of Ireland - Dublin - Aviva Stadium (51,700 Seats). No Works Required.

4) Spain - Bilbao - San Mames Barria (54,000 Seats). No Works Required.

5) Wales - Cardiff - Millennium Stadium (75,000 Seats). Minor Renovations and Expansion.

6) Scotland - Glasgow - Hampden Park (53,000 Seats). Minor Renovations.

7) Holland - Amsterdam - Amsterdam Arena (56,000 Seats). Renovations and Expansion.

8) Hungary - Budapest - New National Stadium (65,000 Seats). No Works Required.

9) Sweden - Stockholm (Solna) - Friends Arena (51,000 Seats). No Works Required.

10) Belgium - Brussels - New National Stadium (60,000 Seats). No Works Required.

11) Denmark - Copenhagen - Parken Stadium (39,000 Seats). Renovations.

12) Israel - Jerusalem - Teddy Stadium (50,000 Seats). Renovations and Expansion.

13) Azerbaijan - Baku - Baku Olympic Stadium (68,000 Seats). No Works Required.

14) Belarus - Minsk - Stadium Traktar (33,000 Seats). Renovations and Expansion.

15) Bulgaria - Sofia - New National Stadium (30,000 Seats). No Works Required.

16) Italy - Rome - Olympic Stadium (73,000 Seats). Renovations.

17) Macedonia Fyr - Skopje - Philip II Arena (34,000 Seats). Renovations.

18) Romania - Bucharest - National Stadium (55,600 Seats). Minor Renovations.

19) Russia - St Petersburg - Zenit Arena (68,000 Seats).

Stadiums I would choose:

1) Wembley Stadium, London, England (90,000 Seats). (Final and Semi-Finals Venue).

2) Allianz Arena, Munich, Germany (66,000 Seats).

3) Aviva Stadium, Dublin, Republic of Ireland (51,700 Seats).

4) San Mames Barria, Bilbao, Spain (54,000 Seats).

5) Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, Wales (75,000 Seats).

6) Hampden Park, Glasgow, Scotland (53,000 Seats).

7) Amsterdam Arena, Amsterdam, Holland (56,000 Seats).

8) New National Stadium, Budapest, Hungary (65,000 Seats).

9) Friends Arena, Stockholm (Solna), Sweden (51,000 Seats).

10) New National Stadium, Brussels, Belgium (60,000 Seats).

11) Parken Stadium, Copenhagen, Denmark (39,000 Seats).

12) Olympic Stadium, Rome, Italy (73,000 Seats).

13) National Stadium, Bucharest, Romania (55,600 Seats).

London will likely get the final. I wonder if Azerbaijan will sneak it way into hosting games :lol:

Azerbaijan might. It's the matter of sightlines, because of the Running Track.

19 candidates. 6 will have to go.
Denmark, Belarus, Bulgaria and Macedonia is bidding with stadiums smaller than 50,000 seats. And hence only competing over 2 potential spots. Which means that at least two of them have to go. I think Denmark and Bulgaria will win that competition. They have bigger football traditions.

Both England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales is bidding. I have a hard time seeing all four of them getting a spot. England will get the final package. Scotland will get one spot due to football traditions. Leaving Ireland and Wales to compete over the last spot. Wales have the advantage of having a big enough stadium to host one of the quarter finals. Which demand a 60,000 seat stadium. While Ireland has a better record to show for. Having qualified three times for the World Cup. And twice for the European Championship. Most recently in 2012. While Wales only have that one World Cup participation in 1958 to show.

Then there's 3 left to go.
I think Russia will have to go due to them hosting the 2018 WC.
While I think Azerbaijan and Israel simply won't be picked due to distance and travel times. UEFA stated a goal of maximum 2 hours flight travel between cities. Leaving Jerusalem and Baku to far away.

Which leaves
Sweden
Denmark
England
Scotland
Ireland/Wales
Netherlands
Belgium
Spain

Germany
Italy
Hungary
Romania
Bulgaria

Wales if UEFA need a 60,000 seat stadium to host the last quarter final. Ireland if they don't need it.

I believe there are many candidates from the region of Balkans and UK so it does not make sense to let them all organize this event. On the other hand, Azerbaijan is the only country except for Russia representing the CIS region and the Caucasus. I believe this time Baku has a good chance to stand out to be picked up.

Flight distance between Baku and some of the candidate cities:

Baku - Jerusalem - 1600 km

Baku - Bucharest - 2000 km

Baku - Minsk - 2200 km

Baku - Sofia - 2200 km

Baku - Saint-Petersburg - 2500 km

Baku - Budapest - 2500 km

I believe there are many candidates from the region of Balkans and UK so it does not make sense to let them all organize this event. On the other hand, Azerbaijan is the only country except for Russia representing the CIS region and the Caucasus. I believe this time Baku has a good chance to stand out to be picked up.

Flight distance between Baku and some of the candidate cities:

Baku - Jerusalem - 1600 km

Baku - Bucharest - 2000 km

Baku - Minsk - 2200 km

Baku - Sofia - 2200 km

Baku - Saint-Petersburg - 2500 km

Baku - Budapest - 2500 km

Conveniently picking those other candidates closest to Baku...even less relevant given that at least some of those won't be picked anyway, reducing travel time from there to zero km.

Oh, and isn't Minsk CIS as well?

Conveniently picking those other candidates closest to Baku...even less relevant given that at least some of those won't be picked anyway, reducing travel time from there to zero km.

Oh, and isn't Minsk CIS as well?

You can pick up those candidates but how reasonable is to pick up several cities from the same geographical region? All UEFA regions must be represented in this tournament.

And true, Minsk is also in CIS. Thank you for correcting me.

I'm lost! Was Wembley chosen to stage the Final? Was there no bidding stage for the final?

edit: Okay, i'm up to speed now. So it will either be Wembley (90,000) or Munich (66,000)? Right! Well I assume UEFA will vote with their pockets in mind, and what with Germany interested in a full competition, it all but seems done that London will stage these finals. A big tick in the appropriate column for a future England World Cup bid. Though, only when FIFA's top brass has been thrown out and exposed for the cowboys they truly are.

Archived