If I were Turkey I'd skip this and go all out for the 2024 Euros, and not bother with a 2024 Olympic bid.

I agree on 2020, there's no point in hosting just the final matches if you could have the whole tournament in its traditional form in near future. I think Istanbul could be a strong candidate for 2024 though, unless South Africa bids, but if Turkey is again offered the Euro's at silver plate I don't know if it makes sense to reject the tournament again.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree on 2020, there's no point in hosting just the final matches if you could have the whole tournament in its traditional form in near future. I think Istanbul could be a strong candidate for 2024 though, unless South Africa bids, but if Turkey is again offered the Euro's at silver plate I don't know if it makes sense to reject the tournament again.

Going for both would cause problems for UEFA again and could easily risk losing both again. If they get word from UEFA they'd have a massive chance of hosting Euro 2024 they should put their Olympic ambitions on hold and go all guns blazing for the Euros.

The 32 countries interested in hosting Euro 2020 games:

Armenia (Yerevan), Azerbaijan (Baku), Belarus (Minsk), Belgium (Brussels), Bulgaria (Sofia), Croatia (Zagreb), Czech Republic (Prague), Denmark (Copenhagen), England (London), Finland (Helsinki), France (Lyon), Macedonia (Skopje), Germany (Munich), Greece (Athens), Hungary (Budapest), Israel (Jerusalem), Italy (Rome and Milan), Kazakhstan (Astana), Netherlands (Amsterdam), Poland (Warsaw and Chorzow), Portugal (Lisbon and Porto), Republic of Ireland (Dublin), Romania (Bucharest), Russia (St Petersburg), Scotland (Glasgow), Serbia (Belgrade), Spain (Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao and Valencia), Sweden (Solna), Switzerland (Basel), Turkey (Istanbul), Ukraine (Kyiv and Donetsk) and Wales (Cardiff).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24174069?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Maybe.....?????......:)

Azerbaijan (Baku), Bulgaria (Sofia), England (London), Germany (Munich), Hungary (Budapest), Italy (Rome), Netherlands (Amsterdam), Portugal (Lisbon), Republic of Ireland (Dublin), Russia (St Petersburg), Spain (Madrid), Sweden (Solna), Turkey (Istanbul),

Final: Budapest :)

The final tournament will be staged in 13 cities across Europe, following a decision taken by the UEFA Executive Committee in January 2013. The matches will be split into 13 different packages, with 12 standard packages, including three group matches and one knockout round (round of 16 or quarter-final), and one package for the semi-finals and the final.

Each of the 32 associations will be allowed to present up to two bids – one for the standard package and one for the semi-finals/final package. Each national association can decide to present the same city, or two different cities, for these two bids, but there will be a maximum of one venue appointed per country. The candidates have the right to change their initial host city selection, but must submit their final bid dossier by 25 April 2014.

The appointment of the host cities by the UEFA Executive Committee will take place on 25 September 2014.

UEFA

I now actually like this way of doing it. If I were Platini, I'd possibly make it so the tournament could be "centred" around a region of Europe, for example the Balkans, rather than spread out from Lisbon to Baku. It gives these countries that are smaller, Macedonia being a perfect example, a chance at hosting what would've been way out of reach before. It could also be good for FIFA, for example they could give a tournament to, say, 10 nations in central Africa or Eastern Europe. That said, I'd still rather they keep the old system as well, doing this every other tournament say.

Also, baron must be wetting himself; with no central tournament location, there could be 13 separate opening ceremonies! :lol:

FA says Istanbul is 'front runner' for Euro 2020 semi-finals and final

The Football Association believes Istanbul is the "front-runner" to host the semi-finals and final of Euro 2020.

The FA wants to stage those games at Wembley but general secretary Alex Horne says Istanbul is the favourite after missing out on the 2020 Olympics.

"We've taken some soundings," he said. "There's a sympathy for Turkey and it feels like they are the front-runners."

Uefa will stage the 2020 event across 13 cities and says 32 countries have expressed an interest in hosting games.

Final bid dossiers have to be submitted to European football's governing body by 25 April next year, with a decision due on 25 September.

Uefa president Michel Platini has previously said he would back Turkey for Euro 2020 if Istanbul's Olympic bid was unsuccessful.

Istanbul eventually lost out to Tokyo in the race to host the 2020 Games.

"We get the politics around Istanbul, having not got the Olympics," added Horne.

Uefa is offering member countries the chance to bid for two packages of matches encompassing either group stage games and a knockout round match or the semi-finals and final.

The FA will now bid for both packages as will Belgium, Spain, Germany and Wales.

Turkey and Ukraine are believed to have bid only for the semi-finals and final, leaving 25 other nations, including Scotland, bidding solely for group stage and knockout fixtures.

Horne, speaking as the FA announced its financial results for 2012, believes Wembley and London would benefit from the award of either option.

"The impact on the stadium and London of hosting either group stages and semi-final and final will be significant," he said.

"It's something we want to be part of, so we've bid for both."

BBC

I don't think anyone should be surprised at the idea of Istanbul being frontrunners for the semi-finals and the final and I wouldn't be too bothered if that turned out to be the case. I'd much rather have matches in the early rounds and us having a bit of home advantage.

• 2 weeks later...

Uefa plot to turn the Euros into alternative World Cup

Revolutionary plans to expand the European Championship into a huge rival to the World Cup are being discussed by advisers close to Uefa’s president, Michel Platini.

In the biggest change to international football for three decades, the revamped tournament would see national teams from other continents invited to take part. Under the new blueprint, which is another sign of the growing rift between Platini and Fifa’s president, Sepp Blatter, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico and even Japan would be invited to compete against Europe’s leading teams at Euro 2020.

The plans are still to be finalised, let alone approved, but one senior adviser to Platini said: “The ideas are at an early stage but they are very feasible. The South Americans have been doing it for decades, inviting teams from outside their continent to take part in the Copa America. So why cannot Europe?”

Since 1993 three teams from North and Central America – USA, Mexico and Costa Rica – have been regular participants in Copa America.

A decision has already been taken to expand the 2016 European Championship to 24 teams, just eight fewer than the World Cup. According to Platini’s adviser the tournament could be run on similar lines to Fifa’s showpiece event.

Although the two tournaments are held two years apart, Uefa insiders are clearly aware that Fifa would regard the new venture as a significant threat, since the World Cup is their major source of income.

The development comes amid widespread disillusion with the way Fifa, and the controversial Blatter, have handled the awarding of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar, the fallout from which dominated last week’s Fifa Executive Committee meeting in Zurich. Premier League clubs have led the opposition to moving the tournament to a winter schedule, and a Fifa task force has been set up to try to find a way forward.

That the European Championship plans are being openly talked about in Uefa circles also shows the split that has developed between Platini and Blatter, world football’s two most powerful men. That in turn reflects a wider battle which has seen Fifa seek to dilute Europe’s influence.

As the adviser said: “Many in Fifa are talking of cutting back Europe’s power, reducing the number of European teams in the World Cup [currently 13 out of 32 in 2014] and also our representation on the Fifa executive [eight out of 24].”

If the plans are implemented, they would mark the final evolution of a tournament which began in 1960 as a competition run along the lines of the old European Cup. Teams played each other home and away in the early rounds, with only four teams contesting the finals. The present format of qualifying group stages was only introduced in 1980, but last year Platini shocked everyone by announcing that the 2020 tournament will be held in 13 cities.

The proposed new tournament would be a huge money-spinner and could also be justified on football grounds. The European Championship has long been regarded as producing a better calibre of football than the present World Cup, because of the latter’s need to accommodate all continents. This contrast was particularly pronounced in the last tournament, in South Africa in 2010.

Uefa denies plans for larger European Championship

Uefa has rejected a newspaper claim that it wants to revamp the European Championship to rival the World Cup.

The Independent on Sunday said the European governing body was considering expanding the tournament to include Brazil, Argentina, Mexico and Japan.

A spokesman said: "Uefa is not aware of the plans mentioned in the story."

BBC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My Wembley Stadium should host the Final.

These are the 13 Venues who I think should be Venues for UEFA Euro 2020:

Wembley Stadium, London, England (90,000 Seats - Final, Semi Finals and Standard Package).

Allianz Arena, Munich, Germany (71,000 Seats).

Estadio La Peineta, Madrid, Spain (73,000 Seats).

Ataturk Olympic Stadium, Istanbul, Turkey (76,092 Seats).

Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, Wales (75,000 Seats).

Baku Olympic Stadium, Baku, Azerbaijan (68,000 Seats).

Stade des Lumieres, Lyon, France (61,556 Seats).

Aviva Stadium, Dublin, Republic of Ireland (51,700 Seats).

National Stadium, Bucharest, Romania (55,600 Seats).

Donbass Arena, Donetsk, Ukraine (52,518 Seats).

Friends Arena, Solna, Stockholm, Sweden (50,000 Seats).

Estadio da Luz, Lisbon, Portugal (65,647 Seats).

National Stadium, Warsaw, Poland (58,148 Seats).

Archived