3 co-hosts cities ???? No way............

Countries**, it seems do-able as all three have the potential to qualify, unlike Azerbaijan and Georgia. With Turkey not sure if to bid and no other credible bids stepping up this might be a golden chance for this bid.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Germany doesn't bid and If Turkey host 2020 SoG, Which European country will host Euro 2020?

I think Turkey will be given Euro 2020 by default, right after bidding closes with the official decision in late 2013/early 2014. That would impact the voting becuase that would effectively eliminate Istanbul and make Tokyo the only option.

Well it is the only new frontier that makes realistic sense don't you think?

I've always thought Istanbul had potential, but it remains to be seen if they can deliver the goods. From what I understand, the mini-bid book isn't enough of an improvement over their previous attempts. The missing logo is odd as is their bizarre notion of bidding for Euro 2020 and the Olympics.

In order for Istanbul to seriously challenge Tokyo, they had to come out swinging. Super-organized. Strong message. Clear vision. I haven't seen that from them at all. I actually think Baku has handled the early campaign better than Istanbul. I don't think Baku can win, but their bid seems much more focused.

I've always thought Istanbul had potential, but it remains to be seen if they can deliver the goods. From what I understand, the mini-bid book isn't enough of an improvement over their previous attempts. The missing logo is odd as is their bizarre notion of bidding for Euro 2020 and the Olympics.

In order for Istanbul to seriously challenge Tokyo, they had to come out swinging. Super-organized. Strong message. Clear vision. I haven't seen that from them at all. I actually think Baku has handled the early campaign better than Istanbul. I don't think Baku can win, but their bid seems much more focused.

Well I don't see the IOC awarding Baku the games at least not yet. That leaves Istanbul as the only new frontier. Tokyo IMO is the favourite atm.

I Agree!!! Baku has well understanded that vision and planning the IOC wants from a candidate, they've learned from their past bid a lot! But Istanbul seems to gave the same thing... Perhaps building a brand new plan might help them...

If Germany doesn't bid and If Turkey host 2020 SoG, Which European country will host Euro 2020?

God only knows! The only other options seem to be rather "interesting" sounding joint bids from countries whose ability to stage such events would be questionable.

If Turkey is the only bidder they will host Euro 2020 and their Olympic bid will be dead in the water. UEFA will have the host nation contracts signed, sealed and delivered long before the 2020 SOGs vote if this is the case.

If Turkey is not the only bidder then UEFA are at the mercy of the IOC. They could really screw up UEFA if they choose Istanbul.

It sounds like a weak UEFA field will ultimately harm Istanbul 2020 though. If the field for the Euros was strong and contained, say, Spain and Germany as well as Turkey then the IOC could choose Istanbul and UEFA could choose Spain or Germany. But a weak field will mean UEFA will be pressuring Turkey and the IOC and the Turks' focus will probably move towards an inevitble Euros victory with the Olympic bid suffering as a result. Unless the IOC REALLY wants Istanbul and is willing to screw over UEFA to get their wishes I think this is what will happen now.

Well I don't see the IOC awarding Baku the games at least not yet. That leaves Istanbul as the only new frontier. Tokyo IMO is the favourite atm.

I didn't say the IOC would give the Games to Baku (they won't). I said that Baku has run a better campaign than Istanbul so far. In my book that means Istanbul is not capable of challenging Tokyo.

Istanbul will certainly go farther in the bid process than Baku. But without superb bid organization and clear vision they can't rival Tokyo. The best they can hope for is a very distant second.

God only knows! The only other options seem to be rather "interesting" sounding joint bids from countries whose ability to stage such events would be questionable.

If Turkey is the only bidder they will host Euro 2020 and their Olympic bid will be dead in the water. UEFA will have the host nation contracts signed, sealed and delivered long before the 2020 SOGs vote if this is the case.

If Turkey is not the only bidder then UEFA are at the mercy of the IOC. They could really screw up UEFA if they choose Istanbul.

It sounds like a weak UEFA field will ultimately harm Istanbul 2020 though. If the field for the Euros was strong and contained, say, Spain and Germany as well as Turkey then the IOC could choose Istanbul and UEFA could choose Spain or Germany. But a weak field will mean UEFA will be pressuring Turkey and the IOC and the Turks' focus will probably move towards an inevitble Euros victory with the Olympic bid suffering as a result. Unless the IOC REALLY wants Istanbul and is willing to screw over UEFA to get their wishes I think this is what will happen now.

But Istanbul hasn't showed us anything that would make the IOC REALLY want them. They're just kind of "ok."

Well yes, but we're still in the very early stages though - there's loads of time for that to change. And The logo thing has been stupidly overplayed by some here also (as if it matters a jot). I say it again, but look at London 2012 at around this stage in their campaign. I see no evidence that the Istanbul bid team is being any less professional than previous winning bids at this early stage.

Unfortunately for Istanbul 2020, even if they are looking to emulate London by building momentum later in the campaign, the circumstances around Euro 2020 are going to throw a huge spanner in the works.

There's another aspect to this...the match-fixing scandal in Turkey which seems to have been reignited again today.

http://en.wikipedia....l_investigation

And if I understand it correctly, it sounds today like Turkey is about to be in a major dispute with UEFA since the Turkish FA are likely to announce there will be no further sanctions against those involved (incidentally, the the hashtags #matchfixingislegalinturkey and #UEFAbanturkey are gaining traction on Twitter in reaction to this).

We could be in the extraordinary situation where the Turkish FA and UEFA are at loggerheads, where it would seem almost inconveivable that Turkey should be awarded a major tournament, but where Turkey is UEFA's only realistic hope for 2020.

Here's a better explanation of what's going on....they're basically retrospectivley changing the rules so their biggest clubs aren't automatically demoted...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turkish federation eases penalty for match-fixing

Turkish soccer clubs caught trying to fix matches but where the outcome of the game is not affected will no longer face relegation, the football federation said on Monday.

Turkey is still reeling over a major match-fixing investigation in which 93 defendants, including leading soccer officials and players, are being tried in a case which has cast a shadow over the country's multi-billion dollar league.

Clubs attempting to rig matches but who do not manage to change the game's result will now face a minimum 12-point penalty but will be allowed to continue playing in their division, Turkish Football Federation (TFF) Chairman Yildirim Demiroren told a news conference.

Previously, all teams involved in match-fixing faced demotion regardless of whether or not the result was affected.

"Everybody was of the same opinion that the penalties regarding attempts to influence results were disproportionate," Demiroren said following federation meetings over the weekend.

The changes to the disciplinary regulations posted on the federation website also stated that individuals who attempt to fix a match will be barred from playing or working at a club for up to three years.

Individuals who influence the result on the pitch face a lifetime ban.

Monday's announcement is likely to draw a stern response from European governing body UEFA and will also anger clubs not affected in the scandal, who had already rejected an earlier reform proposal.

A previous TFF chairman and his two deputies resigned in frustration in January over the federation's failure to agree on how to punish clubs caught up in the scandal. Former Besiktas chairman Demiroren was elected as the new TFF chairman in February.

The scandal erupted last July when police carried out raids against those accused of involvement in rigging 13 matches, including Fenerbahce's 4-3 victory over Sivasspor which clinched the league championship on the final day of last season.

The indictment names eight clubs, including Fenerbahce, Besiktas and Trabzonspor. Fourteen players are among the defendants.

The TFF has been carrying out its own investigation and Demiroren said 22 separate Super League games had been referred to a higher disciplinary committee. He did not name the individual teams but Turkish media reported 15 separate clubs were involved.

Despite the referrals to the disciplinary committee, Demiroren said the federation did not think any of the results in the top league had been affected, suggesting there would be no relegations.

"The most pleasing point is that attempts to harm the values that make football what it is have not reached a damaging point and have not been reflected on the pitch in any way," he said.

Aziz Yildirim, chairman of last year's champions Fenerbahce , is among the defendants and has been accused of being a ring leader.

Yildirim, who is still in custody, denies the charges and says the case was specifically designed to undermine the 18-times domestic champions.

Fenerbahce, who were barred from the Champions League this season due to their alleged involvement in the scandal, dropped a court case last week against UEFA and the TFF over their exclusion from the tournament.

http://au.news.yahoo...r-match-fixing/

Archived