I would like to see England bid, but there is still a lot of bitterness, amongst the public and the FA, about the 2018 bid. As for the other home nations, I understand the Scottish FA have been reluctant to bid after Euro 2008, Wales didn't feel they had the money for a Commonwealth bid in 2022, and then there was the disaster of the Nations cup in Ireland. But I would still like to see this succeed:

football2y.jpg

How would it work: It would depend on whether the GAA allow their stadia to be used. Croke Park could be the largest capacity venue ever used for a European Cup Final. However, the Millennium Stadium seems more likely. Wales and Scotland have three UEFA elite stadia, that is three more than Poland and Ukraine. Those don't include the large Celtic Park, and the even larger rugby ground, Murrayfield. For the smaller games look to places like Cardiff City, Aberdeen, Swansea, Limerick, RDS and Kilmarnock. For any deficiency there are seven Gaelic games stadia in Ireland which seat 20,000. It would benefit England and Northern Ireland as well with hotels and training centres for national team bases. I believe that even without England these isles could host Euro 2012 if they were told today. So for 2020, or a future cup, all that's needed is the will (and the huge financial input that any such bid requires).

In an ideal world where none of the political issues exist I'd want to see a British isles joint bid, all five associations contributing something, with only the two largest contributors getting automatic qualification. Say (at random) the SFA and the FAW put more of the money in, and Hampden Park, Murrayfield and Millennium Stadium were used for the semi finals and final, then Wales and Scotland would be the official hosts, and the automatic qualifiers. However, I can't see the harm in having quarter finals at Lansdowne, or a couple of group games in Windsor Park, or even Wembley getting on the roster. Rugby's been doing this sort of thing for years, with Wales and Scotland even supporting a French hosted world cup, but the home nations football associations are so hostile to the idea of working together... in an ideal world, if only...

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would UEFA give Russia the tournament after they host the World Cup in 2018.

Norway and Sweden both have rather complex issues to deal with for them to be able to provide the 8 stadia minimum. They have 1 stadium in Solna that would meet requirements currently. Norway would need to build or upgrade stadiums in Trondheim, Bergen, Stravenger and Oslo and Sweden would have to build or upgrade stadiums in Stockholm, Malmo and Goteburg.

Sweden and Denmark would make more sense, and Denmark would probably be more willing to build/upgrade then Norway or Sweden.

Turkey almost seems destined for 2020. There really is just no other option that would make a whole lot of sense if you subscribe to the thinking that Belgium, Netherlands, France, Germany, Russia, Poland, Ukraine and Portugal are out of contention.

Turkey almost seems destined for 2020. There really is just no other option that would make a whole lot of sense if you subscribe to the thinking that Belgium, Netherlands, France, Germany, Russia, Poland, Ukraine and Portugal are out of contention.

I wouldn't rule Germany out at all. The others I agree wouldn't be in contention unless there's a particularly sparse field.

If Istanbul gets the Olympic games in 2020, I can't see Turkey hosting Euro 2020. Same for Baku and Azerbaijan, of course. Plenty of other nations rumoured- Czechia and Slovakia, Romania, the Nordic Countries. The major nations may be geographically close to France but would provide a 'safe option'.

I wouldn't rule Germany out at all. The others I agree wouldn't be in contention unless there's a particularly sparse field.

I think Germany hosting the 2006 World Cup has the DFB not too excited over, and they are next door to France.

I think Germany will go after 2024. And I will be there with bells on.

It would be nice to see Croatia-Hungary go after the tournament again, but I think the tournament has grown past them.

I think Germany hosting the 2006 World Cup has the DFB not too excited over, and they are next door to France.

It would be nice to see Croatia-Hungary go after the tournament again, but I think the tournament has grown past them.

Definitely grown past them. Another interesting possibility could have been Greece.

Apr. 11 2012 - Germany is considering bidding for the 2020 European Championships following the huge success of the 2006 World Cup (pictured left), according to the new German Football Federation (DFB) President Wolfgang Niersbach.

UEFA, European football's governing body, recently sent out invites to all 53 member federations and Niersbach (pictured below) said the issue will be discussed at the DFB's Executive Committee meeting on April 27.

http://www.insidewor...-euro-2020-ring

I find the timing of all this quite interesting. This is the first we've heard from Germany at all on Euro 2020.

Recently we've had Platini publically leaning on Turkey to favour the Euros over the Olympics. An unusual move I think, perhaps done because he's worried the field for 2020 could be sparse.

And Turkey's public response has, more than once in recent weeks, been geared towards the IOC's ears - the Olympics is "our national priority". Not what Platini wants to hear.

Then all of a sudden Germany is talking about Euro 2020 only a matter of weeks before the deadline for expressions of interest. Is it possible UEFA has leaned on Germany to put in a bid? Of course we all know Germany could host tomorrow if they wanted.

We talk a lot about rotation and Germany right after France might not be ideal. But it would consolidate UEFA's risky 24-team venture for another cycle and give them a bit of breathing space, especially if Turkey - as is looking increasingly likely - doesn't throw its hat in.

I find the timing of all this quite interesting. This is the first we've heard from Germany at all on Euro 2020.

Then all of a sudden Germany is talking about Euro 2020 only a matter of weeks before the deadline for expressions of interest. Is it possible UEFA has leaned on Germany to put in a bid? Of course we all know Germany could host tomorrow if they wanted.

Well, this is the first time it is internationally recognised. In fact, Niersbach yet has said in an interview in the beginning of March that Germany could bid for the UEFA Euro 2020 or 2024.

I rather a german bid for 2022 WOG ;)

Ok, if Germany puts on a bid then things might get intresting... Turkey as the sentimental frontrunner, Germany techincally better, and having in mind that if Istanbul gets the 2020 SOG, they can't win the Euro 2020. Perhaps Spain bids too! Even more intresting ;)

To me that is rather surprising. Given that a few German members here have out-right said the 2020 Euro is not a priority. One argument was that because of the recent World Cup no major Bundesligia team needs a stadium upgrade. Germany could host the tournament sleep-walking.

I mean you already have your choice of Rostock, Berlin, Bremen, Hamburg, Hannover, Dortmund, Dusseldorf, Munich, Leipzig, Nurnberg, Sinsheim, Stuttgart, Frankfurt etc.

In Nuremberg, there are plans to build a new stadium for about 40,000 spectators 'cause the actual stadium with its track and its low numbers of VIP and business seats is not profitable. Euro 2020 would be the perfect stage to pervade this.

I would actually say that Nurmberg would be left off.

Hamburg - Intech Arena - 57,000

Berlin - Olympiastadion - 76,000

Leipzig - Red Bull Arena - 44,000

Munich - Alliaz Arena - 66,000

Stuttgart - Mercedes Benz Arena - 60,000

Sinsheim - Really Long Name - 30,000

Frankfurt - Commerzbank Arena - 52,000

Dortmund - Signal Iduna Arena - 81,000

Dusseldorf - Espirit Arena - 54,000

M'Gladbach - Borussia Park - 53,000

Hannover - AWD Arena - 60,000

Bremen - Weserstadion - 40,000

Turkey submits bids to UEFA to host Euro 2020

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) -Turkey has submitted a bid to UEFA to host the 2020 European Championship, the head of the country's football federation announced Tuesday.

Turkey is also bidding to stage the 2020 Olympics in Istanbul. UEFA President Michel Platini has previously said he would back the country to host Euro 2020 only if it loses the Olympic bid.

The International Olympic Committee will vote on the 2020 Games in September 2013. UEFA said a hosting decision would be made in late 2013 or early 2014.

Two years ago, Turkey was edged out by France for hosting rights for the expanded 24-nation Euro 2016. Officials complained that Platini - who is French and was not allowed to vote - had favored his home country's winning campaign.

There are concerns that bidding for Euro 2020 could jeopardize Turkey's chances of winning the Olympic rights. But officials for the Istanbul 2020 Games bid said they retain government support.

The Olympic bid team said the Euro 2020 plan "does not change any aspect of our bid.''

"Turkey's Prime Minister, every level of government and every party is aligned behind the bid team and that unequivocal support will remain guaranteed throughout the bid process,'' a statement said. "Turkey has already guaranteed that if Istanbul is selected as the host city for the 2020 Olympic Games in September 2013, no other important national or international event will take place in Istanbul or its vicinity around the games period.''

Yildirim Demiroren, head of the Turkish Football Federation, said the government has also backed projects to speed up the construction of modern football stadiums in several cities and to improve transportation infrastructure between the cities.

"We will spend every effort to host the European Championship in Turkey,'' Demiroren said.

The federation's bid comes despite Turkish football being affected by a match-fixing scandal involving more than a dozen games last season.

The chairman of defending league champion Fenerbahce is among 93 club officials, players and trainers currently on trial because of the scandal, which resulted in Fenerbahce being barred from the Champions League.

Fenerbahce believes the Turkish federation was pressured by UEFA to deny its entry to Champions League, and is challenging both football organizations at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

A potential 'Kalmar' bid could be interesting. When we consider a 16 team tournament with two hosts has 14 places, a 24 team tournament with 3 hosts still leaves 21 places.

Sweden are desperate to hold a football tournament again and have tried to bid with Norway, Denmark as well as the entire Nordic area. I think they could pull it off.

Sweden

Solna - Swedbank Arena 50,000

Gothenburg - Ullevi 43,000

either Stockholm with the new Stockholmsarenan (30,000) and/or an expanded Malmo Swedbank Stadion (24,000)

Norway

Oslo - new National Stadium - 50,000

Trondheim - Lerkenhal - 35,000 - 40,000

either Stavanger with an expanding Viking Stadium (15,600) or Bergen with a new stadium for Brann

Denmark

Copenhagen - Parken 40,000

Brondby - Brondby Stadium 26,000 (to be expanded)

Aarhus - NRGI 20,000 (replaced with a new 30,000-35,000 seats stadium)

Opening - Oslo

QF - Oslo, Gothenberg, Solna, Copenhagen

SF - Oslo, Solna

F - Solna

A potential 'Kalmar' bid could be interesting. When we consider a 16 team tournament with two hosts has 14 places, a 24 team tournament with 3 hosts still leaves 21 places.

Sweden are desperate to hold a football tournament again and have tried to bid with Norway, Denmark as well as the entire Nordic area. I think they could pull it off.

Sweden

Solna - Swedbank Arena 50,000

Gothenburg - Ullevi 43,000

either Stockholm with the new Stockholmsarenan (30,000) and/or an expanded Malmo Swedbank Stadion (24,000)

Norway

Oslo - new National Stadium - 50,000

Trondheim - Lerkenhal - 35,000 - 40,000

either Stavanger with an expanding Viking Stadium (15,600) or Bergen with a new stadium for Brann

Denmark

Copenhagen - Parken 40,000

Brondby - Brondby Stadium 26,000 (to be expanded)

Aarhus - NRGI 20,000 (replaced with a new 30,000-35,000 seats stadium)

Opening - Oslo

QF - Oslo, Gothenberg, Solna, Copenhagen

SF - Oslo, Solna

F - Solna

Bid with 3 countries? Isn't it too much? UEFA is agree with taht? This kind of bid couldn't win against Germany or Turkey... It seems very difficult to have a future bid with nordic countries...

Bid with 3 countries? Isn't it too much? UEFA is agree with taht? This kind of bid couldn't win against Germany or Turkey... It seems very difficult to have a future bid with nordic countries...

Since UEFA expanded the Euro to 24 teams, they're now accepting bids with three hosts, too.

Archived