Reno-Tahoe Ready For 2022 Olympic Bid

GBModerator

Reno is no where near ready, but they could be with a lot of investment. I am a bit skeptical with how they could raise the funds for upgrading the airport, convention center, public transit and building or heavily upgrading nearly all of the venues needed. Reno is not Sochi.

I chuckled a little when he said "cram into Mackey Stadium". They would really need to cram in there since it only seats 30,000 at the moment. One rule in marketing... do not draw attention to your negatives by using words that make people think about that negative.

Reno is no where near ready, but they could be with a lot of investment. I am a bit skeptical with how they could raise the funds for upgrading the airport, convention center, public transit and building or heavily upgrading nearly all of the venues needed. Reno is not Sochi.

I chuckled a little when he said "cram into Mackey Stadium". They would really need to cram in there since it only seats 30,000 at the moment. One rule in marketing... do not draw attention to your negatives by using words that make people think about that negative.

I think if they include Sacramento in the bid it may be a problem - its 132miles (212km) apart

Denver to Vail is only 97miles (156km)

Munich to a different alpine desination other than Garmisch but using Berchtesgaden which doesn't have the enviromental and political problems is 96 miles (154km)

If the more compact bids win .....

I personally think Reno should go it alone with Lake Tahoe and forget Sacramento

I am almost of the opposite. Make Sacramento the main hub, but figure out how to do the ceremonies in Tahoe.

The downside, Sacramento doesn't have enough venues in place either, and it is further away from Tahoe. The upside, their airport is better, and they at least have the potential for building a nice size stadium for hockey or figure skating. Also, many will travel to Sacramento to get to Tahoe or Reno anyway.

I'm in Tahoe now and was in Reno the last few days.

I can report the city looks great, the airport looks just like SLC before 2002, i love it here just as i love SLC.

This would be great games......have NO doubt.

Don't listen to the misinformation written here, this is a fantastic region and city for the games.

Denver will host one day, but will not be as intimate, personal and euphoric as Reno/Tahoe games.

While I agree that having Sacramento as part of the Reno bid is not ideal, let's compare apples to apples, shall we.

You're forgetting that Sacramento wouldn't be hosting any of the outdoor sports, that would be Tahoe. And from Reno, that's very compact compared to what any of the other bids have to offer if you're comparing it to Vail & Berchtesgaden. All Sacramento is being planned for, at this stage, is hockey.

N I don't see how using the word "crammed" draws attention to your negatives. Every Opening Ceremony is crammed. That's the nature of the Olympic Games, & that's how I think the Lt. Govorner was trying to reference it.

Also, many will travel to Sacramento to get to Tahoe or Reno anyway.

How do you figure? By car or by air. If by air, I don't C how Sacramento would be a hub for that when you got Las Vegas, SFO & even LAX, that get all the international flights & you just make your connection to Reno from one of those.

Put hokey in Sac, perfect......easy, this ain't Canada.

Denver to Vail is Faaaaaarrrrrrrrrr, though i love Vail.

Mt. Rose is less than 30min from downtown Reno.....Im thinking freestyle...this bid can be very exciting guys.

more info later gotta go ski. :)

While I agree that having Sacramento as part of the Reno bid is not ideal, let's compare apples to apples, shall we.

You're forgetting that Sacramento wouldn't be hosting any of the outdoor sports, that would be Tahoe. And from Reno, that's very compact compared to what any of the other bids have to offer if you're comparing it to Vail & Berchtesgaden. All Sacramento is being planned for, at this stage, is hockey.

N I don't see how using the word "crammed" draws attention to your negatives. Every Opening Ceremony is crammed. That's the nature of the Olympic Games, & that's how I think the Lt. Govorner was trying to reference it.

How do you figure? By car or by air. If by air, I don't C how Sacramento would be a hub for that when you got Las Vegas, SFO & even LAX, that get all the international flights & you just make your connection to Reno from one of those.

If you add Berchtesgaden to the bid instead of Garmish, you have two rather than 3 areas - most of the Ice Events and Ceremonies in Munich and all of the outdoor events plus speed skating all within 30kms of each other.

Adding Sacramento smacks of Oslo trying to use Lillehammer facilities for their bid

Like I said, I know it's not ideal, but again, it's just hockey. Not the outdoor events.

If you want to talk about the compactness of Berchtesgaden (for outdoor sports), then compare that to Tahoe, it's equilvalent (for outdoor sports). Apples to apples, not apples to oranges.

"Ready" seems like a relative term here because there's a lot of variables going into this bid it seems. I have no doubts that when if the time comes, they'll be the first to jump, but I feel like some of this is politicking with the USOC in order to encourage them to bid.

I can report the city looks great, the airport looks just like SLC before 2002, i love it here just as i love SLC.

Don't listen to the misinformation written here, this is a fantastic region and city for the games.

Denver will host one day, but will not be as intimate, personal and euphoric as Reno/Tahoe games.

Flabbergasted. Some people's taste is all in their mouth.

Flabbergasted. Some people's taste is all in their mouth.

What does that even mean? :unsure: But regardless..

I can't speak from experience of having been to RNO, but I have been to SLC, both during and not during the Olympics. It is beyond laughable that people are comparing RNO to SLC and if you think they are similar, you clearly don't know much about air travel. SLC is a major hub for Delta Airlines. They were long before the Olympics came to town. They have flights to cities on 3 different continents spanning from Toyko to Paris. RNO is, at best, a regional airport. They have 23 gates to SLC's 90. The only airline they've ever been a hub for is Reno Air which lasted a grand total of 7 years before being bought out by American Airlines (the planes they bought were mostly disposed of shortly thereafter). I mean, if Reno can't organize an airline, how can they organize an Olympics!!

Seriously though, I don't care what Reno officials think of their airport. If they or anyone else think it's comparable to SLC, you're all flippin' nuts!

I'm flabbergasted by the review and the only explanation I can think of is that sone people's taste is all in their mouths. It's a common turn of phrase meaning all the person has is taste buds rather than good taste or a discerning sense of what is appealing.

Here come the choruses of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".... That argument suggests that there is no such thing as beauty or quality and that every city is equally wonderful and worthy of hosting the Games and that objective standards are mythical.

Thanks for pointing out the concrete issues with the airport, Quaker. At least that much is difficult to dispute....

I'm flabbergasted by the review and the only explanation I can think of is that sone people's taste is all in their mouths. It's a common turn of phrase meaning all the person has is taste buds rather than good taste or a discerning sense of what is appealing.

Here come the choruses of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".... That argument suggests that there is no such thing as beauty or quality and that every city is equally wonderful and worthy of hosting the Games and that objective standards are mythical.

Thanks for pointing out the concrete issues with the airport, Quaker. At least that much is difficult to dispute....

Not a phrase I've heard before, but whatever. Anyways.. beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. You think Reno is a dump and completely unworthy of hosting an Olympics. I have a friend who thinks the same thing. Others here think it's much better than that and could be made suitable for an Olympics. Just because you disagree with them (and yes, I know there's a lot of people out there that share your opinion) does not presume that you have taste and they don't. After all, that's all these are at the end of the day.. opinions.

As opposed to what I mentioned about the airport. Those are facts. They can't be argued. You can't say that Reno has a similar airport to Salt Lake because there are specifics that dispute that claim. And if the Reno folks are banking on those comparisons as a selling point of their bid, I think they're in for a rude awakening.

Athens, like I've said before.. if you think Reno-Tahoe's bid is untenable because the technical side of things is lacking, I'm inclined to agree with you on that one. But if you're still on this idea that anyone who thinks that Reno isn't a dump must be wrong, that's just your opinion versus the next guy's. And how much do you really know about some of these other bid cities, especially for the Winter Olympics where there's always a component that doesn't involve the host city itself.

So I guess if I said Fresno was prettier than Paris, I'd be totally justified too? After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is hotter than Beyonce and a Nissan Sentra is better looking than a Boxter. McDonald's is nicer than Spago.

They're just opinions... None of them can be wrong and you're not allowed to accuse me of having poor taste.

Beginning with ancient Greek philosophy, humanity has acknowledged that aesthetics are real. Everything is not equally beautiful and there are objective standards. STYLE (or fashion) may be a matter of personal preference, but the principals of balance, composition, rhythm, color harmony, texture hold true across any age and culture.

I'm not dismissing Reno because it's the equivalent of rap and I'm an opera lover. I'm dismissing Reno because it's the equivalent of BAD rap.

That said, even if you disqualify all aesthetic considerations (ATR includes them in their index, but whatever), there are still plenty of technical reasons why Reno won't be competitive internationally.

So I guess if I said Fresno was prettier than Paris, I'd be totally justified too? After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is hotter than Beyonce and a Nissan Sentra is better looking than a Boxter. McDonald's is nicer than Spago.

They're just opinions... None of them can be wrong and you're not allowed to accuse me of having poor taste.

So.. because you have your opinion on Reno, if I disagree with you, I must be wrong? Look, maybe you're right about Reno and it is a dump. Like I said, I've never been there, so I can't form an opinion (although the 1 person I know who's been there multiple times laughed at the notion they could host an Olympics). But don't give us this nonsense "if you think Reno has any beauty, then you clearly have no standards." We're not comparing Fresno to Paris here. We're largely comparing Reno to.. well, nothing. And symptomatic of this site, it's like everyone wants to take a side and no one wants to hear from anyone who doesn't share their opinion, and those anywhere in the middle like myself think everyone is nuts. Here's where I'm confident about with regard to Reno.. it's not an Olympic euphoria as some believe. And it's probably not an untenable disaster in the making. It's probably somewhere in between. I just think it's going too far to say that a Reno Olympics would be an international embarrassment because if that happens, obviously the USOC and/or the IOC see something there and I doubt they're going to step off the plane and say "oh crap, THIS is what we voted on?.. what the hell were we thinking!"

That all said, there are a lot of negatives, some of which they won't be able to overcome. And that this thread is responding to the "Reno is ready" claim, their level of confidence is just amusing and that they're already throwing out a date and time for the Opening Ceremony just reeks of smugness.

If someone loves Reno, I have nothing against them and it doesn't make them wrong.

I really have to take issue with your post though, Quaker. We're not comparing Reno to nothing. MUST compare Reno to other cities. The USOC will compare them to other American cities and the IOC will compare them to other international cities. Therefore we must be realistic about how Reno will measure up. If we only have the opportunity to invite the world to one American city every two or three decades, we must ask if Reno is what we want to showcase to the world.

I don't think it is "wrong" for me to say that choosing Reno would certainly not be putting our best foot forward. I don't think that's mere opinion. There are all sorts of facts and photos to support my position (which I and others have cited).

Of course people are free to disagree with me, but I'm also free to try to persuade them to adopt my perspective instead. If they choose not to, oh well.

If someone loves Reno, I have nothing against them and it doesn't make them wrong.

I really have to take issue with your post though, Quaker. We're not comparing Reno to nothing. MUST compare Reno to other cities. The USOC will compare them to other American cities and the IOC will compare them to other international cities. Therefore we must be realistic about how Reno will measure up. If we only have the opportunity to invite the world to one American city every two or three decades, we must ask if Reno is what we want to showcase to the world.

I don't think it is "wrong" for me to say that choosing Reno would certainly not be putting our best foot forward. I don't think that's mere opinion. There are all sorts of facts and photos to support my position (which I and others have cited).

For the record, that comment about comparing Reno wasn't just directed at you. There's a lot of people (including some directly involved with the bid) that seem to think that all that needs to happen is for the USOC to give the green light and then it's a done deal. As we know, that's pretty far from the truth. It's absolutely not wrong to say that a Reno bid may not be all it's cracked up to be. I've said repeatedly I agree with you on that one. I just think it's a step too far to say it can't be done and they should quit now which generally seems to be your sentiment. There's a lot of people on the ground there that think they've got a shot and have been working at it for decades now. My assessment is that they're in for another rude awakening, but we're probably going to see that play out. And you're right that Reno may or may not be the best the USOC can put forward for a once every generation-type event (count me in the 'not' category, I think we know my thoughts there), but then again was Atlanta the best the USOC could offer in terms of a Summer Games? In the greater sense no, but they won and the alpha cities that followed failed for various reasons.

For the record, that comment about comparing Reno wasn't just directed at you. There's a lot of people (including some directly involved with the bid) that seem to think that all that needs to happen is for the USOC to give the green light and then it's a done deal. As we know, that's pretty far from the truth. It's absolutely not wrong to say that a Reno bid may not be all it's cracked up to be. I've said repeatedly I agree with you on that one. I just think it's a step too far to say it can't be done and they should quit now which generally seems to be your sentiment. There's a lot of people on the ground there that think they've got a shot and have been working at it for decades now. My assessment is that they're in for another rude awakening, but we're probably going to see that play out. And you're right that Reno may or may not be the best the USOC can put forward for a once every generation-type event (count me in the 'not' category, I think we know my thoughts there), but then again was Atlanta the best the USOC could offer in terms of a Summer Games? In the greater sense no, but they won and the alpha cities that followed failed for various reasons.

Thanks for a balanced, thoughtful response. Just to clarify, I'm not saying Reno shouldn't bid. I'm just saying I hope the USOC chooses Denver instead of them. If Reno is the candidate, I don't see any way they'll win over the IOC.

This is the USA and freedom to pursue dreams is part our DNA. That goes for Reno too. I just don't think they can win and, given the chance, I personally wouldn't vote for them.

Thanks for a balanced, thoughtful response. Just to clarify, I'm not saying Reno shouldn't bid. I'm just saying I hope the USOC chooses Denver instead of them. If Reno is the candidate, I don't see any way they'll win over the IOC.

This is the USA and freedom to pursue dreams is part our DNA. That goes for Reno too. I just don't think they can win and, given the chance, I personally wouldn't vote for them.

That should work out then... with the US failing to get a Winter Games, then hopefully we can focus on a Summer Games!

Archived