ATR Power index... Tokyo is leading !

SwissO

Another example near me is how we shorten Birmingham, our second largest city, to "Brum". Everybody knows what you mean if you say you're going to Brum.

Brum is kinda different sound to me

Probably our most famous nickname is Pompey, short for the south coast port city of Portsmouth. But there are more, such as Notts (Nottingham), The Pool (Liverpool) & others. Most cities have other nicknames too, but they aren't suitable for broadcast on a family show. :P

• Like 1

Probably our most famous nickname is Pompey, short for the south coast port city of Portsmouth. But there are more, such as Notts (Nottingham), The Pool (Liverpool) & others. Most cities have other nicknames too, but they aren't suitable for broadcast on a family show. :P

hhahaha, here in Brazil, there are some cities with names that are jokes without nicknames...

Feliz Deserto (Happy Desert!!!),

Feliz Natal (Merry Christmas),

Mata Pais (Kill Parents),

Anta Gorda (Fat Tapir),

Tio Hugo (Uncle Hugh),

Lagoa da Confusão (Mess Lagoon),

Não-Me-Toque (Don't Touch Me),

Varre-e-Sai (Sweep and Take Out),

Passa e Fica (Pass and Stay)

And the bad ones:

Bem-Bom (Very Good, but can be also a slang for sexual relation), Ponta Grossa (Thick Stub), Arroio Veado (Deer's Stream), Veado Velho (Old Deer), Curralinho (Almost sounds like "small ass hole"), Pau Grande (Big Stick, but "stick" in Brazil can be Penis too)...

hahaha

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Danny, some places I've actually been to or through with good names:

Cockermouth (Cumbria) , Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma Gate (A street in York), Pity Me (near Durham), Birdlip (near Gloucester), Chipping Sodbury (near Bristol) & Wetwang in Yorkshire.

Britain is also home to the so-called "Scunthorpe problem" where the town's name is displayed as S****horpe to avoid causing offence. Other towns suffer from this too, such as Penistone.

For loads more of this, just Google "funny British place names" & get ready to laugh. :)

Danny, some places I've actually been to or through with good names:

Cockermouth (Cumbria) , Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma Gate (A street in York), Pity Me (near Durham), Birdlip (near Gloucester), Chipping Sodbury (near Bristol) & Wetwang in Yorkshire.

Britain is also home to the so-called "Scunthorpe problem" where the town's name is displayed as S****horpe to avoid causing offence. Other towns suffer from this too, such as Penistone.

For loads more of this, just Google "funny British place names" & get ready to laugh. :)

I'll do for sure!!! I love weird names of things!!! I already laughed at these ones!

I've been to a district in Araruama, Rio state, called "Woodstick in the hole Road" hahahaha (woodstick can be also a slang for penis)

Madrid and Tokyo are both great cities but maybe it is time to give a chance to Turkey, since it is the only country out of those three which has never hoster Olympic games. Istanbul, a city which has been working as a natual bridge between continents and civilizations, which tried itself as major destination for many global political, cultural and sport events, this time needs some culmination in its tranformation into a sustainable world class city. I really have high hopes for Istanbul and its ability to organize one of the best Olympic games ever. Olympic games in Turkey would also work as signifficant accelerator for both urban redevelopment of Istanbul and leaving a great sport legacy for the people of Turkey.