Public Support

Security

Transportation

Venue Plans

POWER INDEX

TOTALS

Sorry about that...

atrpowerindexmarch2012.jpg

"The Power Index – now in its seventh year – is the only independent, authoritative review of Olympic bid cities." (?)

Yeah, you show them! Are you gonna send a nasty email to Ed (do you guys see each other all the time around the traps?)

Anyway, when's the Bid Index coming out?

Not much between all the scores for the Power Index. No surprise to see Tokyo on top. But surprised to see Baku ranked last with Madrid on financing. I thought all the Baku boosters had been telling us they're flush with ready cash?

Can't wait for the BidIndex to come out. However, it is about 2 months away, before the list is cut to the candidate cities eligible to bid for 2020.

I dont like it in the way the score aren't to preciselly as if they should use a decimal note... Ex: 67.4

Cuz that Madrid/Istanbul in the second place... If it should use decimal notes i bet there will be a 2nd and a 3rd place defined!!!

Anyways i agree :S can't wait for bid index!!! ;)

And Doha and Baku bith will be candidates... Doha is following the rules, and Baku is making merits...

why does doha have a less legacy i would've thought it'd leave a pretty big legacy there, why is tokyo same finance as doha i mean NOONE can beat qatar with finance well maybe saudi arabia.... and whats last games (out of 5) mean, im new to this so dont really understand...

Wait, you're comparing Japan's (and therefore Tokyo's) economy against that of Qatar's? :rolleyes:

So Qatar can blow whatever it wants on the games, so can everyone else! Debt is debt regardless where it comes from. I'm certain that a Doha Olympics won't be free from debt, nor would any of the other bids, they just need to be paid off... ...which will happen eventually.

"The Power Index – now in its seventh year – is the only independent, authoritative review of Olympic bid cities." (?)

I struggle to take it seriously. Especially when looking at the comparative scores.

- An "equal" security rating?

- Madrid has almost double the accommodation capacity of Istanbul...

- Venue plans only has Madrid 1 point ahead of Istanbul?

What are these people smoking?

I struggle to take it seriously. Especially when looking at the comparative scores.

- An "equal" security rating?

- Madrid has almost double the accommodation capacity of Istanbul...

- Venue plans only has Madrid 1 point ahead of Istanbul?

What are these people smoking?

just asking ... whats the hotel capacity of Madrid ? Istanbul is 90.000+ and will be 113.000 following 3 years.

just asking ... whats the hotel capacity of Madrid ? Istanbul is 90.000+ and will be 113.000 following 3 years.

A look into the mini bid books should be enough:

Madrid's number of existing hotel rooms within 50km from the games centre is 93,080 (mostly 4 stars) whilst Istanbul got 63,963 (mostly 1 to 3 stars). By 2020, Istanbul will have another 33,236 rooms, in Madrid there'll be another 2,606 and another 340 additional so at games time they will have about the same capacities.

• 1 month later...

why does doha have a less legacy i would've thought it'd leave a pretty big legacy there, why is tokyo same finance as doha i mean NOONE can beat qatar with finance well maybe saudi arabia.... and whats last games (out of 5) mean, im new to this so dont really understand...

I think 'Last Games' implies that the applicant city has not recently (or ever) hosted an Olympic games. I could be wrong to think that, but it would explain at least why Tokyo scored lowest, as it has previously hosted, whereas all the other cities would be are new hosts. What concerns me with this assumption is that Tokyo's hosting in 1964 is a strike against its bid where Barcelona's hosting in 1992, much more recent, does not affect Madrid'd bid at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, its not particularly scientific. (Not at all.) But at least you can see how they arrived at their numbers. It's so subjective though and the numbers are so close that it really doesn't mean much of anything.

Yes, it is totally subjective (and I already had the opportunity to tell Ed Hula my disagreement with some of their analysis...), but at the end more a technical ranking than an overall vote prediction !

So they had wrong at all Power Index they published (from 2014 to now... can't find some earlier ones). And yes, close ranking, so that shows that everyone is able to organize...

Final index (a month before vote) :

2018 : Munich 83 / Pyeongchang 79 / Annecy 69

2016 : Chicago 80 / Madrid 78 / Rio 77 / Tokyo 77

2014 : Salzburg 82 / Pyeongchang 77 / Sochi 75

Well, its not particularly scientific. (Not at all.) But at least you can see how they arrived at their numbers. It's so subjective though and the numbers are so close that it really doesn't mean much of anything.

I think it's fairly scientific -- but it's merely a guide for the caprices of the individual IOC voters. The 2 or 3 point differences might mean 20-min longer commutes for, say, the tennis players vs. the rowers in Istanbul over Tokyo; but then shorter commutes for the gymnasts in one city over the other. Or the Madrid IBC might be more centrally located than Tokyo's--and it just depends on which pet federation or sport an IOC member might focus on and vote that way.

In the end, it's like the Miss Universe contest, all the previous scores are a wash, thus thrown out, and the final Q&A decides it.

Final index (a month before vote) :

2018 : Munich 83 / Pyeongchang 79 / Annecy 69

2016 : Chicago 80 / Madrid 78 / Rio 77 / Tokyo 77

2014 : Salzburg 82 / Pyeongchang 77 / Sochi 75

Then the above is encouraging for Istanbul because the odds show that the perceived "underdog" invariably comes out on top.