ATR Power index... Tokyo is leading !

SwissO

I think it's fairly scientific -- but it's merely a guide for the caprices of the individual IOC voters. The 2 or 3 point differences might mean 20-min longer commutes for, say, the tennis players vs. the rowers in Istanbul over Tokyo; but then shorter commutes for the gymnasts in one city over the other. Or the Madrid IBC might be more centrally located than Tokyo's--and it just depends on which pet federation or sport an IOC member might focus on and vote that way.

In the end, it's like the Miss Universe contest, all the previous scores are a wash, thus thrown out, and the final Q&A decides it.

Then the above is encouraging for Istanbul because the odds show that the perceived "underdog" invariably comes out on top.

How can it be "pretty scientific" and "like Miss Universe"???

I put no stock in it. Perhaps the sheep will though. He's so fond of saying Chicago lagged technically. Obviously ATR (and I) disagreed.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like if the Power Index only evaluates accomodation and venue plans, where Madrid is way better than Istanbul, and not the "momentum" where Istanbul is better, Tokyo stands strong in both cases ;)

That's 'scientific' within its own parameters. There is only so much 'scientific' sense you can apply on things like these which are outside of the pure sciences or academe.

Miss Universe is the ultimate example of subjectivity. There's nothing empirical about it.

New ATR Power Index (June 2012)

atrpowerindexjune2012.jpg

1st : Tokyo

2nd : Madrid

3rd : Istanbul

Those scores are really low compared to the bidders in previous races. Especially when comparing Madrid and Tokyo to THEMSELVES just 4 years earlier, about 10 points lower. Or will their scores increase by 10 points before the final ranking a month before the vote?

Those scores are really low compared to the bidders in previous races. Especially when comparing Madrid and Tokyo to THEMSELVES just 4 years earlier, about 10 points lower. Or will their scores increase by 10 points before the final ranking a month before the vote?

Yes low... for the 2016 race, at the first ATR Power Index, Madrid scored 77 (vs 78 at the end) & Tokyo 74 (vs 77 at the end)....

• 7 months later...

new ATR index released

Tokyo strengthens its lead in the latest edition of the Around the Rings Power Index for the 2020 Summer Olympics. Rivals Istanbul and Madrid are tied for second.

Spurred by improvements in public support and the venue plan, the Japanese capital claimed 77 out of 100 points in the third installment of the 2020 Power Index. Istanbul and Madrid scored 72.

http://aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=42109

• 7 months later...

stanbul Drops, Madrid Climbs, Tokyo Leads in 2020 Index

8/22/2013

(ATR) Madrid edges closer to Tokyo in the race for the 2020 Olympics in the final edition of the Around the Rings Olympic Bid Power Index -- while Istanbul sags as the Sep. 7 IOC vote looms.

Tokyo scores 77 out of 100 points, Madrid rises to 76 while Istanbul falls to 75 from 78 in May.

ATR

Note: The city that was second in both 2012 and 2016 won the whole thing.

And the winners have also always been correctly predicted in the entrails of the virgins I've slaughtered before each recent vote. I'm sharpening up the old gutting knife now, so I'll tell you which way the guts tumble.

Okay, the blood splatter took the shape of a rising sun, so...

• 2 weeks later...

Cities with bigger names wins... London over Paris... Rio de Janeiro over Madrid... Istanbul over Tokyo or Madrid...

:P:D;)

PS: Actually the birth name of Rio is "São Sebastião do Rio de Janeiro"... Unbeatable! :rolleyes:

Cities with bigger names wins... London over Paris... Rio de Janeiro over Madrid... Istanbul over Tokyo or Madrid...

:P:D;)

PS: Actually the birth name of Rio is "São Sebastião do Rio de Janeiro"... Unbeatable! :rolleyes:

in that case bangkok will be the eternal host if they apply:D

Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit

lol

Gosh!!!

It's impossible to say the name of Tauma... Specially adding the English phonetics for me! hahaha

Poor Itaquaquecetuba, Pindamonhangaba or Jijoca de Jericoacoara...

We tend to just call it LlanfairPG, to make it easier.

That's nice... Nicknames always works for big names.

Here even cities with small names gets "nicknames" even smaller... Like São Paulo can be Sampa. Niteroi can be also Nikity.

Actually all cities have nicknames... Well, everything have nicknames in Brazil from Highways to hospitals to Airports to Parks... Even 2 stadiums in the World Cup are known by nicknames (Mineirão and Castelão) and if you ask for Havelange Stadium in Rio nobody will know it... The stadium is known as "Engenhão".

* "ão" is a suffix for "big" in Portuguese...

Archived