Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baron-pierreIV

Y do people try to rewrite plans cities have put forth?

Istanbul just released their plans; we are talking hypothetically about Reno and Denver plans in other threads. From what we know, y r GB'ers always trying to rewrite the plans? I mean if they were the technical experts, then the cities would probably have hired them...but they're NOT.

Sure you can critique but how do you know more than what those people on the ground actually know? I just don't understand this being 'more expert' than the people who are truly involved with the actual lay of the land.

If it were this or it were that. Well, it's NOT.

Since I'm pretty sure this is largely directed at me, here's my response to that..

This is a forum about Olympic bids. Clearly, some people here want to discuss the merits of these bids, the upside/downside, and break down what they're offering. Is it a little bit of armchair quarterbacking? Absolutely it is. Does that make any of us experts? Certainly not. But to me, it's no different than a fan forum on your favorite sports team questioning/analyzing their decisions. And these so-called "experts" you talk about.. they probably know what they're doing more than we do, but it doesn't always mean they're right. In 2005, I'm betting someone here suggested the West Side Stadium concept would never fly in NYC.. how'd that work out? Or last year when NBC offered $4.3 billion to the IOC when the next highest bid was only around $3.5 billion, how "expert" was that decision? And yes baron, you yourself have done it on occasion as well, and I'm pretty sure you know that. I mean, you wrote a book on the behind-the-scenes goings on at the Opening Ceremonies. So then why aren't you a consultant for London! :D

Bottom line is this.. this is nothing more than an Internet discussion forum. If people want to discuss, let them discuss. The Olympics go on for 2 1/2 weeks every other year, it's not like we have that much content to work with here. If you don't like what's being discussed, then don't participate. No one is forcing you to post here if you don't want to.

And yes baron, you yourself have done it on occasion as well, and I'm pretty sure you know that. I mean, you wrote a book on the behind-the-scenes goings on at the Opening Ceremonies. So then why aren't you a consultant for London! :D

If you don't like what's being discussed, then don't participate. No one is forcing you to post here if you don't want to.

6 billion people around the world all rise in unified applause of such to the point and 100% accurate commentary... BRAVO!!! ENCORE!!! ;)

And yes baron, you yourself have done it on occasion as well, and I'm pretty sure you know that. I mean, you wrote a book on the behind-the-scenes goings on at the Opening Ceremonies. So then why aren't you a consultant for London! :D

Because they couldn't meet my price. :P

BTW, I think there's a gnat on this thread..somehow. Luckily, the IGNORE button hides the worthless, childish drivel I am sure it has posted. Same worthless drivel, I believe, was just deleted on SSC.

Anyway, back to Q2001; the thread was also actually directed at Lord David. And no, I don't have to post -- and neither do you, but like you, I choose to do so and will post contrary views like anyone else. :D:D

Anyway, back to Q2001; the thread was also actually directed at Lord David. And no, I don't have to post -- and neither do you, but like you, I choose to do so and will post contrary views like anyone else. :D:D

And that's fine, no one is trying to stop you. But it's hard to sympathize with you when you say "I'm tried of this" or the like. If you don't like where the conversation is going, too bad. The forums are what they are. You can't define what they are (or are not) because you think it's pointless posturing. At the end of the day, this whole forum is pretty pointless! But that's what keeps a lot of us coming back for some reason, because we like talking about the Olympics and this is a pretty darn good place to do it.

Baron, I think it's time to invest in a mirror...

Large-Rectangular-Wall-Mirror1.jpg

Maybe just stick to talking about potential bid cities opening/closing ceremony options then, since that is your expertise. :lol:

Baron, I think it's time to invest in a mirror...

Large-Rectangular-Wall-Mirror1.jpg

Maybe just stick to talking about potential bid cities opening/closing ceremony options then, since that is your expertise. :lol:

Oh, thanks for your solicited "advice." And maybe, just on principle, you should stop pretending to be "open" to other potential bid cities. I wasn't born yesterday, ya know. ;)

I am open to Tahoe hosting, but I also want to make sure Denver gets a fair look. What's wrong with that?

Obviously, our approaches are different.

Well now what would be the fun if we agreed on everything, anyway! Again, to me it's just like if this were a forum for fans of a particular sports team. So what if we're playing armchair quarterback with these bids. Considering all the rhetoric that's gone on, especially with the potential 2022 candidates from the US, are you really expecting it to be something different?

are you really expecting it to be something different?

The original post was more of a rant and expression of frustration. I did not really expect anyone to tow the line.

But in answer to your question, yes, because some of you strike me as rational thinking beings. But I guess I was proven wrong again.

Same worthless drivel, I believe, was just deleted on SSC.

Huh? What exactly was deleted on SSC? Im glad that you must resort to name calling and insults to make a point, as it proves everyone else's points to thou on this thread.... but what are you referring to being 'deleted' on SSC??? Hmm? Oh please do tell...

But in answer to your question, yes, because some of you strike me as rational thinking beings. But I guess I was proven wrong again.

Tried to PM you this, but it's not working and I don't think I'm revealing anything new here...

You're 100% right that there are a handful of irrational folks on this site. I mean, anyone who is taking a Tulsa Olympics seriously probably needs to be taken out back and beaten. Then I suggest a pipe dream of a Philadelphia Olympics and people think it's the same thing. You know better than I do who the people on this site are. So there's going to be a ton of bullcrap out there. All you can do is let it happen and move on. We've both had moments of frustration on here. Don't let it get to you. I couldn't participate here if I took any of this seriously. There's more to life than what a bunch of schmucks on an Internet forum (and I include you and I both in that category) think about something we have very little to do with.