Youth Olympic Games 2018 : the official bidders

SwissO

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I bet for Buenos Aires, to be cutted...

The country is not gaining momentum (pretty much otherwise) with the latest news on economics and politics...

And Yes, Buenos Aires must seek the real deal and fight for Summer Olympics in some decades.

I bet for Buenos Aires, to be cutted...

The country is not gaining momentum (pretty much otherwise) with the latest news on economics and politics...

And Yes, Buenos Aires must seek the real deal and fight for Summer Olympics in some decades.

If I had to pick one I would also pick Buenos Aires with Rotterdam (which came very close to withdrawing for not having funding) being a close second.

The other 3 have experience and the venues to host the 2018 games.

OC and South American sources have told ATR that Guadalajara is most at risk from the chop. Financial problems still linger from the Mexican city’s staging of the 2011 Pan American Games.

Rotterdam also faces a nervous wait after its struggle to deliver government guarantees; they were only submitted last month.

But Claudia Bokel, who led the IOC’s working group for the 3rd summer YOG, has roots in the Netherlands and provides a boost for the Dutch bid in her EB role.

When is the announcement? Is it today or tomorrow?

Tomorrow.

409x224-FOTO_BOLET%C3%8DN_FEB_12_EN.JPG

IOC TO REVEAL FINALIST CITIES TO HOST THE 2018 YOUTH OLYMPIC GAMES

The international Olympic Committee (IOC) will announce the shortlisted candidate cities to host the 2018 Youth Olympic Games on Wednesday, 13 February.

The bid competition began on 15 September 15 2011 Medellin, Buenos Aires (Argentina), Guadalajara (Mexico), Glasgow (Scotland), Poznan (Poland) and Rotterdam (Netherlands) amongst the cities vying for the right to host the event in 2018.

The applicant cities submitted formal bid dossiers to the IOC last October in which they outlined their plan to host the YOG 2018, an event that brings together young athletes between the ages of 15-18.

The IOC President will announce the cities that will remain in the race during a press conference taking place in Lausanne, Switzerland, at 8:30 am COT. The shortlisted cities will be decided based on a report from a Working Group tasked to analyze and review the bid books and documents submitted in October.

The Medellin bid team remains optimistic it will pass this step in the process. Medellin 2018 CEO Juan Camilo Quintero stated on behalf of the city mayor Aníbal Gaviria Correa: "Our city submitted a very comprehensive dossier to the IOC. We showed in a holistic way that Medellin has the infrastructure capabilities, communication and transportation system, housing, health networks, culture and education, among other necessary requirements. We are excellent hosts and we have shown in the past that due to the choices made by authorities, due to the warmth of the people and the available resources, we have everything ready to host the Youth Olympic Games. We feel passionate about this challenge and are very enthusiastic. Medellin 2018 is a dream that we will make happen"

http://www.medellin2018.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=198:ioc-to-reveal-finalist-cities-to-host-the-2018-youth-olympic-games&catid=38:news&Itemid=198〈=en

OC and South American sources have told ATR that Guadalajara is most at risk from the chop. Financial problems still linger from the Mexican city’s staging of the 2011 Pan American Games.

Rotterdam also faces a nervous wait after its struggle to deliver government guarantees; they were only submitted last month.

But Claudia Bokel, who led the IOC’s working group for the 3rd summer YOG, has roots in the Netherlands and provides a boost for the Dutch bid in her EB role.

South American sources talking about Mexico??????? WTF?

409x224-FOTO_BOLET%C3%8DN_FEB_13.JPG

MEDELLÍN SHORT LISTED FOR THE 2018 YOUTH OLYMPIC GAMES

The city of Medellín was confirmed today by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Executive Board as one of three cities short listed to host the 2018 Youth Olympic Games.

At a press conference held today in Lausanne, Switzerland, IOC President Jacques Rogge confirmed Medellin’s bid proposal “corresponds with the vision of the Youth Olympic Games.” The report from the IOC Working Group responsible to analyse the bid dossiers and provide feedback on each city’s candidature was also released. In the report, the IOC recognised Medellin’s experience and capability to host international sport events and praised the bid’s compact venue plan and use of its existing venues, confirming the IOC’s confidence that Medellin is an ideal city to host the Youth Olympic Games in 2018.

“We are thrilled with today’s announcement from the IOC,” stated Andres Botero Phillipsbourne, IOC Member and Minister of Sport for Colombia. “It is a validation of the commitment the entire country has to bring this wonderful event to Colombia. We would like to thank the IOC for continuing to show confidence in our candidature.”

“The city of Medellin has a particularly compelling story and the IOC has recognised the city as an example of how sport can play a key role in social change,” explained Botero Phillipsbourne. “There has been a huge public investment in the city over the last decade in youth, education, sport and culture -- the very same priorities as the Youth Olympic Games. The reality today is that Medellin would be the perfect fit to organise this event."

In particular, the report from the IOC Working Group confirmed that Medellín’s project “presents minimal risk to the IOC.” In addition, the report highlighted the “clear and good quality” bid guarantees that show the full support from the highest level of government. Medellin’s programmes for the athlete experience in culture and education offer “good content with innovative proposals.”

“This is another positive step in the transformation of the city and we are pleased that the IOC confirmed that our bid proposal demonstrates not only a strong and compact venue concept, but also a unique cultural and educational experience for Games participants,” said Medellín 2018 CEO Juan Camilo Quintero.

http://www.medellin2018.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=202:medellin-short-listed-for-the-2018-youth-olympic-games&catid=38:news&Itemid=202〈=en

Even though yesterday's rummors indicated Guadalajara was going to be out, I consider it a surprise...

Call me wierd, but this process is being more intresting than Lillehammer's and Nanjing's one! :lol:

Considering Lillehammer had no opposition, yeah, much more interesting.

It's still only the YOGs though. I'm hoping for Glasgow, but can't raise too much enthusiasm or interest in the race.

I admire the openess of the Dutch in many ways. They doomed their own World Cup bid because the government wasn't willing to bow to FIFA's every demand, and questioned aspects of what FIFA asked for far more than, for example, the British government. And I wouldn't be surprised if a similar situation arose with this bid.

They seem far more comfortable in their own skin and less willing to bend over backwards to please people than most other countries. That's somehow quite refreshing.

But it isn't going to help their bids! I reckon any Dutch Sports Federation will be looking for government guaruntees before they bid in future. Launching a bid then trying to pester the government over guarantees is obviously not an option in the Netherlands.

Archived