Munich 2022

munichfan

Seriously?

I realize I am not the IOC, but I'm still unconvinced that Bach presidency + Munich 2022 = no-go.

U're NOT; but Bach (and/or his supporters) are certainly mindful that Munich's running could cost him the presidency. Just like the IOC has told Istanbul, either our 2020 only or U-ro 2020. Pick one.

I think they have their ear closer to the ground than you or me, AF. And that clear example of Ostersund losing 1994 to Lillehammer while Gunnar Ericsson ascended into the Executive Board, stands out mightily in theiir scenario. But hey, if you believe that Denver 1976 actions will not hurt a future Denver bid (but which the Bach forces here are mindful of, based on past IOC voting patterns), then who am I to contradict other readings?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except the IOC HAS said that Turkey cannot host both the Olympics and Euro 2020. They didn't say they couldn't bid.....

I don't know the finer points...but I believe the IOC wants Istanbul going into the 2020 race with only the Olympics on its slate. Istanbul appears to have dropped all pretense of also jockeying for Euro 2020. Now, if UEFA wants to keep its options open for Istanbul, if Turkey loses Olympics 2020, then that is another story that the IOC cannot control. But as far as the IOC is concerned: we want you (Istanbul) going into this race ONLY with our Games in your sights...not as a standby bid or an event to stage in the same season.

So, that in effect, lines up with my earlier argument that when running for anything major with the IOC, be prepared to come in with only ONE agenda. So Bach seems to know this, that after the IOC presidency changes next year, having Munich on the horizon so close to his run for presidency, might jeopardize his chances.

I'd take that gamble if I were the Germans. If I were them I'd rather have Munich than Bach. I'm sure Bach disagrees, but this is one case where the concerns of the many outweigh the concerns of the one. 2022 is tailor made for Munich. Why torpedo that because Bach wants to be president?

I'd take that gamble if I were the Germans. If I were them I'd rather have Munich than Bach. I'm sure Bach disagrees, but this is one case where the concerns of the many outweigh the concerns of the one. 2022 is tailor made for Munich. Why torpedo that because Bach wants to be president?

Being a passionate supporter of an Olympic Games in Germany, I couldn't agree more with your post! Thomas Bach doesn't exactly strike me as someone who is particularly distinguished (besides his team fencing gold medal from Montréal 1976, that is). Why he is ex officio already presumed to be Rogge's natural successor is frankly beyond me. After the relatively lacklustre performance of the German delegation in London, criticism has been levelled at him for the decline of standards under his chairmanship of the German NOC.

There are other candidates who are quietly positioning themselves for the position. Particular attention should be paid to a certain gentleman who goes by the name of Richard Carrion. He checks the boxes on a number of levels: intelligent, Hispanic (and North American) and fairly adept with the corporate side of things (he was responsible for the not-so-trivial undertaking of negotiating the TV broadcasting rights for the IOC). Of course, we have no clue whether he will formally declare - but there are credible indications to that effect.

That said, what may well happen (and I don't put scheming beyond IOC members) is that the IOC may deny Bach the presidency and hand the "consolation prize" of the 2022 Olympic Games to Munich. Germans ultimately want an Olympic Games in their country more than they necessarily want a faceless bureaucrat in Lausanne having a German passport. Just my two cents, really!

For me , it doesn't care if a german is IOC President or not . And I believe the most german's are with me . The Focus is to host the Games 2022 .

The Winter Games in Munich would be a spectacular Event ! But we sould never forget , an Olympiad could not wash away the Problems of a country/city , or advances the economy etc. The best Examples are EURO 2004 in Portugal, Olympics in Athens 2004, Winter Games in Torino 2006 . All these countries fight now against unemployment, sovereign dept and so on ... The Games can push the national spirit , but never bring the country ultimative forward .

Therefore I am stunned why Madrid bid for the Games !!! The money they spend for the Games are better invested in education , study , and so on . It is a shame what happens there now , I feel so much solidary with them .

For 2022 , when you see the aspect of economy , education , etc. only Norway and Switzerland can host the Games AND Invest much in new Sport Facilities . Munich can host the Games also , because nearly all Venues are still existing .

The Swiss have the Problem with the capacity . The ''Graubünden'' Region (speculated to candidate) , has a province Capital with just 33,000 people ! In 1960 this would be no Problem, but now it is an huge Problem in my eyes ...

Therefore I am stunned why Madrid bid for the Games !!! The money they spend for the Games are better invested in education , study, and so on . It is a shame what happens there now, I feel so much solidary with them.

Completely agree with you on your analysis re: Bach - I don't need a German in the IOC presidency if that means that Germany doesn't get to host the Olympic Games within a reasonable period of time. Yes, the Madrid bid is - to put it diplomatically - fairly irresponsible in this economic climate. I'm wondering when the Spanish people will wake up and recognize that the Olympic Games is a luxury the nation just cannot afford. If it's not them, I'm afraid that the IOC will ultimately do the job for them - with the result that even a great Spanish bid will be damaged in the foreseeable future.

As for Switzerland, I have doubts that the Graubünden population will be willing to vote "Yes" in the inevitable referendum...

Totally agree for first part :)

Is there a Referendum planned in Graubünden ? The Swiss jurisdictional is very different from other European States . I don't know how the people there think about OWG, but of course they would be great hosts ! When I see winter events hosted in Switzerland there is always a fantastic atmosphere !

As for Switzerland, I have doubts that the Graubünden population will be willing to vote "Yes" in the inevitable referendum...

I disagree. Previous Swiss bids have floundered due to multiple cantons having to vote. Sion went all the way because they had only Valais involved and the area of Switzerland even more winter sports made is Graubünden

Just my possibility of an improved Munich 2022 concept:

Ice Cluster (Munich)

- Olympiastadion (70,000) - Opening & Closing Ceremony - legacy: possible IAAF Athletics World Championships, possible venue for TSV 1860 München

- Olympiahalle (15,000) - Figure Skating & Short Track - legacy: concerts, sports events, etc.

- Olympia-Eissportzentrum (reconstruction with about 10,000 seats) - Ice Hockey - legacy: venue for EHC München

- Event Arena (installation of about 6,000 seats) - Ice Hockey - legacy: venue of FC Bayern München's basketball players

- Olympia-Schwimmhalle (with temporary seating 4,000) - Curling - legacy: public pool and training centre

- Olympic Oval (temporary venue for about 10,000) - Speed Skating

- Olympic Village - same as 2018

- IBC and MPC - Messe München, so same as 2018

- Media Village - to be built near the IBC and MPC

Olympic Oval is the 1972 Olympic Velodrome?

Olympia Eishalle could be one of 2 ice hockey venues

• 2 weeks later...

Mh ... :unsure:

(google translator)

19.10.2012 - For Munich's mayor Christian Ude is undisputed that Thomas Bach 2013 President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) will be.

The SPD politician, the same year candidate for the office of Prime Minister of Bavaria, sees this as a problem for the intended Munich's bid for Winter Olympics 2022nd

In an interview with the 'Münchener Merkur "Ude said the role of Bach at the German bid for the Winter Games:" The fact that he wants to be President of the IOC, is correct that would be for the German sports incidentally very gratifying. ".

Bach's election as President of the IOC on 10 September 2013 in Buenos Aires would be from the perspective of Ude not the end of the Munich bid after IOC members were announced on several occasions that there is no two gifts for Germany.

Ude, "It is not true that an IOC President may experience no matches in their own country." Conversely, could say: "A president has the greatest influence."

Bach himself is likely to manifest itself only in the early summer of 2013 on a possible candidacy. Deadline for this would be the 10th June, then it would still be exactly three months until the election of the successor to IOC chief Jacques Rogge. This is Bach, against which no challenger has been positioned in a previously certified:

"Thomas Bach has all the qualities that a president needs: He's smart, knows the sport, loves the sport, can form teams, he has the skill."

http://www.sport1.de/de/olympia/olympia_winter/newspage_627057.html

I'm not sure why the potential Bach presidency is seen as such a slight on Munich's plans. Surely with the transparency offered by the IOC nowadays the President doesn't have that much sway - besides, its quite obvious to anyone that has a clue that Munich is a shoe in for 2022. The real crime would be that if it gets shafted by Bach himself for his own perceived gain (perhaps he prefers Hamburg or Berlin?)

In that one interview with Bach it did sound as though he was playing down Munich's chances for personal gain.

It doesn't seem to me that the two have to be mutually exclusive either, but then I'm not an insider.

I think Munich would a great host. I would go so far as shoo-in, but I think their chances are great.

Oops. I meant I WOULDN'T go so far as shoo-in.

• 4 months later...

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/muenchen-und-olympia-abhaengig-von-den-interessen-eines-mannes-1.1616821

Bach and his influence on a new Munich bid

unfortunally my english is not good enough to translate the article

but it seems the NO from Graubünden/St.Moritz bring up a "it never was that easy to get the games" in several medias

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/sportpolitik/olympia-2022-in-muenchen-keimt-neue-hoffnung-12102724.html

and rumours about a chinese winter-bid for 2022
http://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de/inhalt.muenchen-olympische-spiele-peking-wird-zum-rivalen.acac5975-2b2f-4e10-92b2-87ae6007a88a.html

but it is nice to have the topic back in german media

I think China (or Japan, if Tokyo 2020 falls on its face) would have a stellar chance at 2026.

Perhaps we may see a Sapporo or Harbin 2026?

I think 2022 it's European turn, 2026 North America (If USA don't win 2024 race). In 2022 maybe will have Oslo VS East Europe (Poland, Ukraine).

2022 (North Europe or East Europe)

2026 (USA or Alps)

2032 (Alps or USA/Canada)

2036 (comeback in Asia ?)

I think 2022 it's European turn, 2026 North America (If USA don't win 2024 race). In 2022 maybe will have Oslo VS East Europe (Poland, Ukraine).

2022 (North Europe or East Europe)

2026 (USA or Alps)

2032 (Alps or USA/Canada)

2036 (comeback in Asia ?)

all this "rotation" stuff could be end if no real capable european city/country bids

there is no garantuee for a Munich and/or Oslo bid for 2022

all this "rotation" stuff could be end if no real capable european city/country bids

Trying to predict future Olympic sites with any accuracy is almost an exercise in futility, especially if you're trying to base it on patterns. All 1 takes is 1 anamoly to throw off the entire balance. For example.. let's say Athens had been ready for 1996 and won that bid over Atlanta. Perhaps that gives Salt Lake a couple of extra votes and they host 1998 instead of 2002. That could have changed any number of host sites in the 2000s and beyond.

The Winter Olympics moving back to Olympiad years? Tulsa, do you have a source for these outrageous claims?

Sorry, I Would like mean 2030 (Alps or USA/Canada) and 2034 Asia.

Indeed, If European cities refuse to bid, it will be a problem. I think the problem it's the CIO. The winter market is Europe and North America, in Asia it's very marginal. It isn't in the Asian culture to follow winter sport or to practice these sports (excepted Japan) and without European bid, WoG could be threatened.

CIO should show their interest about Medium size bid city in Europe.

Archived