Munich 2022

munichfan

Why exactly does Munich "deserve" it?

-Germany is a winter sports power which has not hosted since 36'

-The top 7 in overall medals in Vancouver (USA, Canada, Norway, Austria, Russia, South Korea) have hosted why not the other Germany?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why exactly does Munich "deserve" it?

I don't like the word "deserves", but as a major sporting and economic power that won't have hosted any Olympics at all for 50 years, I think Germany can make a pretty strong case -- probably more compelling than anyone else's. Munich has the venues, the organizational ability and a passionate, educated spectator base.

I don't like the word "deserves", but as a major sporting and economic power that won't have hosted any Olympics at all for 50 years, I think Germany can make a pretty strong case -- probably more compelling than anyone else's. Munich has the venues, the organizational ability and a passionate, educated spectator base.

'Earned' might be better, in as much as earned the chance.

Honest to God, if someone brings up the Black September attack or the Nazis one more time as a reason why Munich is a bad choice, I may have to hurt someone. In the first place, neither event has any bearing on Munich and it's ability to host currently. In the second place, if both were such millstones, why has Munich gotten 25 votes in the last ballot and moreover, continued hosting events since then. And in the third place, Munich nor Germany needs to constantly be reminded of their past. If anything, this is an opportunity to embrace the negatives, make them positives, heal and for good and all move on.

Can we PLEASE stick to the actual ability of Munich and Germany to host these events and leave these tired red herrings out of it now?

Honest to God, if someone brings up the Black September attack or the Nazis one more time as a reason why Munich is a bad choice, I may have to hurt someone. In the first place, neither event has any bearing on Munich and it's ability to host currently. In the second place, if both were such millstones, why has Munich gotten 25 votes in the last ballot and moreover, continued hosting events since then. And in the third place, Munich nor Germany needs to constantly be reminded of their past. If anything, this is an opportunity to embrace the negatives, make them positives, heal and for good and all move on.

Can we PLEASE stick to the actual ability of Munich and Germany to host these events and leave these tired red herrings out of it now?

IMO Post of the Year

To be fair, I think there's only 1 person here bringing those things up with regard to Munich and he's told us he might leave us in a few months, long before the election in 2015. We can only hope!

As for Munich, I think "deserves" isn't such a bad word. Other cities might be equally or more deserving, but Munich and Germany have proven time and time again their ability to hold world class sporting events, the least of which is how many medals they've won. If they have the venues and the infrastructure and the fans and community to support them, and most importantly if they want it, then IMO it's an ideal choice for a Winter Olympics

Certainly, Munich won't get the Israeli vote.

You are wrong - Munich and the DOSB asked Israel and the Israeli NOC if they agree to the bid for 2018 - and they supported the bid!!!

By the way Israel participated at the ESC 1983 in Munich and became 2nd - the Israeli entry of 1983 is very popular in Israel - Israel is very proud that it participated in Munich in 1983!!

When you read the lyrics you will understand why: חי

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ajiF39xr0E

In 2002, so 30 years after the Olympics the European Athletics Championship took place at the Olympic Park in Munich. The Championship was one of the first bigger international events here in Germany after the attacks of September 11, 2001. Security was on top of the agenda. The Israeli Team took part and had an extra police corps (?) to protect them.

The event itself was average. On the first days it was raining very much. But still Paula Radcliffe was able to a new ER on the 10,000m. But the emotional highlight was the pole vault. The German men were quite good at that time and the expectations were high. Tim Lobinger won the bronze medal, while Lars Börgeling had to settle for silver. The gold medal was won by Alexander Averbuch, an Israeli. During the victory ceremony the stadium was filled with many spectators. Usually you see them speaking to each other or waving with the hand in the camara while the nation anthem is played and the flags are flying. Not so during this one. It was absolutely silent and many had their heads down.

I was not in Munich, but I watched it live on TV. I will never forget it since it was the most emotional one I have ever seen.

Yes, I'll never forget that as well. It was particularly memorable because the Israeli anthem, Hatikvah, is such a melancholic melody. But it somehow marked a new era: That a new chapter of Israeli athletes in Munich had been opened and that from now on, we can leave the tragedy of 1972 a little bit behind (which does not mean that we shall forget it). I wished that that beautiful moment could be found on Youtube.

Yes, I'll never forget that as well. It was particularly memorable because the Israeli anthem, Hatikvah, is such a melancholic melody. But it somehow marked a new era: That a new chapter of Israeli athletes in Munich had been opened and that from now on, we can leave the tragedy of 1972 a little bit behind (which does not mean that we shall forget it). I wished that that beautiful moment could be found on Youtube.

there are some very short impression of that medal ceremony in this docu about him (appr. at 02:00)

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't say now or never, but Munich should have their heads examined if they sit out 2022. It really is a golden opportunity.

It's almost being handed on a silver platter to Munich. With the US and Sweden unwilling, I only see Switzerland being able to mount a challenge that can match Munich on BOTH technical AND geopolitical grounds. I see Norway as a Madrid 2012/2016-type bid, one that has technical power and has *some* diplomatic favour but not enough to offset the geopolitical disadvantage when faced against Munich. If Munich is in the race, Norway can count on a good number of votes, but not an IOC majority.

I would even argue that Munich has a slight elevation over a Swiss bid. I think that the fact that the Germans are offering the setting of a larger city, might be tempting for the IOC after going "Lillehammer style" with Pyeongchang, and to a lesser extent, Sochi. Also crossing the Summer-Winter bridge as a host city is somewhat iconic.

I believe the Winter Olympics would suit modern Germany better than Summer.

Interesting note-

I was discussing the Munich 2018 bid with a German friend here in Sydney a few months ago. They mentioned that the Ceremonies at the Olympic Stadium were not 100% locked in, and that Allianz Insurance (which heavily supported the bid) were behind the idea of having the Ceremonies at Allianz Stadium, instead of the assumed 1972 Olympic Stadium. It was suggested that if Munich had/does win, that during the organisation years we may see the ceremony venue change to Allianz Stadium, in the face of the sentimentalism for the 1972 Olympic Stadium. I believe comfort in winter would be a compelling and tempting reason to stage the Ceremonies at Allianz, and the fact that it is a more modern, enclosed stadium which would offer the ceremony more, technically, than the rather open air Olympic Stadium.

Interesting.. he worked for Allianz in Munich at the time and seemed to be sure that they were going to push for a change at a later date.

Asia is out for Winter 2022

To be picky, Asia is a big place. While East Asia is out, I don't think Kazakhstan is out due to geography. I do think the IOC members will want to go to a familiar comfortable place like Munich or Oslo after '14, '16 and '18... *especially* if Istanbul wins 2020.

And IOC vice president and German NOC boss Thomas Bach considers the USA's withdrawal from the 2022 race an "important signal". He said that "this gives a positive direction for an European, possibly German bid". Also Bavaria's sports minister Ludwig Spaenle said that "Munich, Bavaria and Germany now get a new chance of becoming the host of Olympic Winter Games. We have suitable venues and excellent athletes especially in winter sports - those are ideal conditions for a new bid."

Source (in German): http://www.stern.de/sport/sportwelt/usa-votum-wichtiges-signal-fuer-muenchen-1852650.html

At the risk of sounding arrogant, unless they don't bid, the Games are going to Munich in 2022. It's almost as inevitable as the sunrise at this point. Now, that being said, I do hope Oslo bids because it will set them up well to try again in 2026 and I'd certainly be looking toward those Games.

Make no mistake, I am not discounting the Swiss at all, I'm just not feeling it right now.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, unless they don't bid, the Games are going to Munich in 2022. It's almost as inevitable as the sunrise at this point. Now, that being said, I do hope Oslo bids because it will set them up well to try again in 2026 and I'd certainly be looking toward those Games.

But if Munich wins 2022, Oslo won't win 2026.

Süddeutsche Zeitung - Olympia 2022: USOC's decision is "important signal" for Munich

The article is about the new situation after USOC decided not to bid for Winter Olympics 2022, but for 2024. Bach is quoted that this decision is an "important signal" for the possibility of another German bid.

Bach said: "That is a strong information, an important signal. There is positive development for an european bid - maybe a german bid."

You can act in assumption that the door opened a little bit for a second bid of Munich for Winter Olympics when the precautions Bach says that.

Before another German bid the DOSB wants to wait until the 2020 Summer Olympics are awarded in september 2013.

The last three months of 2013 will become interesting according Mr. Rogge. Bach hasn't still announced yet if he will bid for the IOC presidency, but it seems that Mr. Rogge is quite sure that Bach will bid: "He is the frontrunner for us, definitely. Bach is somebody, who you could trust." (according a Sport-Bild interview with the IOC president). Furthermore Rogge told the German sport newspaper, that a German bid - no matter if it is a Summer or a Winter bid - would be important for the Olympic movement.

But if Munich wins 2022, Oslo won't win 2026.

Given the right circumstances, I still think there's a chance Europe can host 2 winter games in a row, if they're in a different region of Europe. If a US bid is underwhelming in 2026 (and what if the US chooses not to bid?), I think the IOC would more likely have back-to-back European winter hosts than go back to Asia after 8 years.

True. Oslo would never be given the right to host the Olympics only 4 years after a European Alpine German city.

Precident for this exists with Lillehammer hosting right after Albertville. It may not be as comperable, but what about SLC hosting only 14 years after Calgary?

I think it's possible. Maybe not likely, as it depends on what other countries can come up with, but still possible.

Given the right circumstances, I still think there's a chance Europe can host 2 winter games in a row, if they're in a different region of Europe. If a US bid is underwhelming in 2026 (and what if the US chooses not to bid?), I think the IOC would more likely have back-to-back European winter hosts than go back to Asia after 8 years.

If the USA do not Bid for the 2026 Winter Games and if Almaty Kazakhstan or Harbin China bids for the 2026 Winter Games then it will go back to Asia to new markets a country which have 1.4 Billion or a new region in Asia Central Asia Astana - Almaty Kazakhstan hosted last years Asian Winter Games and they did a very good job and the IOC liked those Games as well and want to come to Kazakhstan one day where East meets West also Kazakhstan will be the first Muslim country to host the Winter Olympics Games or the IOC will like to say in East Asia for another Winter Olympics Games and pick Harbin China by 2026 China will be nearly be the Superpower of the world and want to go to back to China Harbin hosted the 1996 Asian Winter Games and the 2009 World Student Winter Games they are growing fast and got a big main stadium to host the Ceremonies and China is becoming a power in Winter Sports.

Archived