Sign in to follow this  
Gold Coast Lions

Another Sarajevo Olympics what do you think?

Well, 2034 would be the 50th anniversary for Sarajevo 1984.

It might be but rebuilding almost all the venues for a country that just sent 5 athletes to Vancouver makes no sense whatsoever.

Bosnia's GDP is 18 billion and hosting the WOG will literally ruin the economy.

Thumbs down, Yugoslavia no more, Each surviving ethnic group established a country of their own

Not sure how the breakup of Yugoslavia itself is really important to the viability of a second Sarajevo Games - aside from Bosnia not having the same level of economic support to take up such an endeavour as it did 30 years ago under the umbrella of Yugoslavia's economic protection.

It is a long stretch, but if they could, I think Sarajevo could definitely be one of the more interesting repeat OWG hosts from Europe we'll inevitably see over the next 50 years.

I‘m digging out this old thread because I‘m currently touring the Balkan and spent all day today in our 1984 host city.

There are obviously still traces from the war, including the ruins of the bobsled track where you can nowadays simply walk around on the concrete skeleton (pun intended) that‘s left of it. 

All in all though, the city is bustling with life again, including a huge increase in tourism. The political situation remains fragile however, and as long as Bosnia‘s administrative nightmare isn‘t resolved, any talk of another Olympics, as romantic as it might sound, can only be a pipedream. It would also require massive infrastructure investments, and not to forget nowadays the WOG are about two to three times the size of 1984.

But if you ever get the chance: go and visit Sarajevo, it is absolutely fascinating.

On 10/1/2018 at 10:27 PM, StefanMUC said:

I‘m digging out this old thread because I‘m currently touring the Balkan and spent all day today in our 1984 host city.

There are obviously still traces from the war, including the ruins of the bobsled track where you can nowadays simply walk around on the concrete skeleton (pun intended) that‘s left of it. 

All in all though, the city is bustling with life again, including a huge increase in tourism. The political situation remains fragile however, and as long as Bosnia‘s administrative nightmare isn‘t resolved, any talk of another Olympics, as romantic as it might sound, can only be a pipedream. It would also require massive infrastructure investments, and not to forget nowadays the WOG are about two to three times the size of 1984.

But if you ever get the chance: go and visit Sarajevo, it is absolutely fascinating.

I spent a few days in Sarajevo this past summer and I agree it's a fascinating city. The residents are some of the most welcoming I have come across. Unfortunately, while I think a return to Sarajevo would be amazing (it would show Bosnia has come full circle from where it once was) it is sadly unlikely. Their only shot would be to partner with someone else in the former Yugoslavia, maybe Croatia. Speaking of infrastructure, there were plans a couple years back to rebuild the ski jumps but it fell through. Most recently there's been discussion of demolishing the Juan Antonio Samaranch Hall (formerly Olympic Zetra) to build a new stadium for FK Sarajevo.

I think Sarajevo could still host. Remember they had close to nothing outside of Skenderjia and the ski resorts for their 1984 bid, which was their first attempt. 

If the proposed subway line does get built come bid time, you propose the next stage of a second line linking the north with the south and this existing subway line, passing through the 1984 Olympic Stadium and perhaps terminating north at a new Olympic complex or "New Sarajevo", North west of Betanija, the site of the Olympic Stadium.

The only venue at Betanija should only be the 1984 Olympic Stadium (assuming it is not replaced by a new modern stadium) and Olympic Hall Juan Antonio Samaranch. 

This "New Sarajevo" could have the following:
- A new major  modern Arena
- A new minor Arena
- A new indoor Speed Skating Oval
- A new modern Olympic Stadium that could be rectangular (which might permit the old Olympic Stadium to still be kept for athletics)
- An Expo Center for the Main Media Center
- A future Sports University
- Athletes' Village
- Media Village
- New hotels 
- A new Shopping Center
- Serviced by 1 or 2 metro stations. 

You then renovate all the 1984 venues and expand the international airport with a new terminal. 

Give it time and they can host again. Maybe a symbolic 2034 would be the ideal games to bid on. 

Another step back for Sarajevo if they could pull this off. Not saying that it would make Sarajevo a WOGs contender but it would certainly be a plus for any Eastern European city that makes a play for the WOGs. having a sliding track in the region.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1083544/sarajevo-1984-bobsleigh-track-re-build