Another Sarajevo Olympics what do you think?

Gold Coast Lions

Sarajevo hosted the 1984 Winter Olympics Games when it was apart of Yugoslavia since then 8 years latter there was the siege of Sarajevo 1992-1996 in 1996 it became the Capital city of a new of Bosnia and Herzegovina. 16 years latter in 2012 the city is nearly rebuild after the war the country economy is building itself up the Tourist are now going to Sarajevo getting more touristy like it was in 1980s so when do you see Sarajevo hosting the Winter Olympics Games again? Do you think that the IOC will go back to Sarajevo or not what do you think?

I think if it goes back to Sarajevo then it will be in 2034 50 years after 1984 a chance make Sarajevo to shine again like in 1984 give Bosnia and Herzegovina more time to build up there economy and make it a strong place by 2027 to host the games by 2034 22 years from now.

I would rather see a Ljubljana bid to be honest. For me they are the most natural hosts in central Europe. I would rather Sarajevo had an Expo or a summer event instead.

Ljubljana is probably out. The country withdrew from hosting the 2013 Universiade, doesn't look good on them, especially when the olympics cost more.

Bosnia sent 5 athletes to the 2010 Games, hardly a winter tradition (granted in 1984 Yugoslavia had none as well). However Saporro which hosted in 1972 a mere 12 years before bid and Gothenburg where the venues would be far from the city. Sarajevo made the best sense. People on these boards agree 2022 is too soon for Salt Lake which would have been a shorter wait for Sapporo if it got 1984 as well.

Is Bosnia is up against no other choice then yes, but against Munich, a French bid, Denver it will likely not be shortlisted.

Nah, Y go to Sarajevo again when there R other Eastern European locales that could host that haven't yet, like Sofia or even Poland. Maybe the second to next time the winter games should go to Eastern Europe but not before.

Altho the whole Slavic "angle" will be taken up by Sochi for at least the next 4 WOGs

• 1 month later...

Ljubljana is probably out. The country withdrew from hosting the 2013 Universiade, doesn't look good on them, especially when the olympics cost more.

Bosnia sent 5 athletes to the 2010 Games, hardly a winter tradition (granted in 1984 Yugoslavia had none as well). However Saporro which hosted in 1972 a mere 12 years before bid and Gothenburg where the venues would be far from the city. Sarajevo made the best sense. People on these boards agree 2022 is too soon for Salt Lake which would have been a shorter wait for Sapporo if it got 1984 as well.

Is Bosnia is up against no other choice then yes, but against Munich, a French bid, Denver it will likely not be shortlisted.

Denver and Berne have previously withdrawn from competitions and its not affected them.

I think 2 years away in 2013, and lets say a minimum 10 years away in 2022 are different questions.

Unlike Maribor, Ljubljana is the capital city with a population 3x the size. There are already sports venues in place in the capital which could be used, and a sporting culture that could use all of the facilities post games.

There is a world class ski jumping venue at Planica with hills of HS215, HS140 and HS100, and a stadium with a 30,000 capacity.

Kranjska Gora already hosts annual World Cup slalom events and has a vertical of 838m and is less than 90km from Ljubljana. The nearby town of Jesenice with its ice hockey team could be another possible indoor venue.

If Ljubljana bid, you could bet the government would not withdraw funding for such a signifcantly more prestiguous event than the Universiade

Except Kazakhstan's unequivacably Asian ... still, I get your point.

Yes your right, Kazakhstan is in the Asian Olympic Council. I should have clarified and said the former USSR Games. However 2026/30 would be the earliest and probably depends on Sochi's success.

Although 10% of their territory is in Europe and they switched from Asia to UEFA in football. But still, I think a Kazakhstan would be regarded firmly as an Asian bid.

Yea, because they compete in the Asian Winter/Summer Games. Who knows though if China turns their focus to a WOG then they might be the favourite. However China's two winter cities (Harbin and Changchun) have far to spread out venues.

I should have clarified and said the former USSR Games.

Doesn't matter. I referred to it as such as well before, & was quickly pointed to the "fact" that Kazahkstan still lies in Asia & therefore will be dealt as such, & not by some "former Soviet status".