Denver 2022/2026 Winter Bid Details

Soaring

I really don't get this forum sometimes. We had a Seattle discussion in the Reno thread, now we're moving it to the Denver thread? Let's get Seattle out of the way right now. kernow.. they're interested in the Summer Olympics, not the Winter Olympics. You need to have more than a few venues for an Olympic bid, especially when you have the snow venues for which Seattle is probably lacking. On Safeco Field.. I've been there because. It is not an enclosed stadium, so I doubt they could use it. And if Vancouver didn't use BC Place for the hockey final where they could have had 50,000 fans instead of 20,000 (I know that was a consideration for a while), it's not going to happen in the United States. Now back to Denver, the actual subject of this thread..

I don't think Dick's Sporting Goods needs to be used. Too much of a gimmick when you have every ice venue other than speed skating accounted for.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Colorado Springs is included, in my opinion, it will severely damage Denver's bid if they are up against more compact bids from Switzerland, Norway and even Spain. It is already almost 100miles between Denver and the alpine resorts and adding an extra 60miles to include Colorado Springs makes it all a little ludicrous.

I've always said that all along. And some people here still insist on that C.S. should be part of a Denver bid simply bcuz the USOC has it's headquaters & some facilities there, but those R mainly for summer sports anyway. And it's a bit further at 70 miles, making it even moreso not that feasible. The notion of Colorado Springs should remain as such with any proposed Denver bid.

Forgive me for extending this tangent, but i cant ignore it....

I've seen zero evidence that Seattle wants Winter Games. It's news to me that they want Summer Games. Where did you hear this? Is there any real substance to it? Personally, I have a LOT of trouble seeing that. Geography is against them. Major transportation problem. Not enough venues and no real room for more. I question hotel capacity too.

Forgive me for extending this tangent, but i cant ignore it....

I've seen zero evidence that Seattle wants Winter Games. It's news to me that they want Summer Games. Where did you hear this? Is there any real substance to it? Personally, I have a LOT of trouble seeing that. Geography is against them. Major transportation problem. Not enough venues and no real room for more. I question hotel capacity too.

437604-Cartoon-Woman-Missing-The-Target-While-Throwing-Darts-Poster-Art-Print.jpg

Unless kernowboy knows something we don't, there is no substance to it. We know Seattle has shown a little interest in the SUMMER Olympics, but I've never seen

them taking a serious look at the Winter Games. And I don't foresee it happening anytime in the near future

Well, that's never going to happen. The IOC has made it crystal clear that they won't accept multi-city, much less multi-national Summer bids.

Most probably due to the logistical hurdles, even if said nations' cities were right next to each other, right?

437604-Cartoon-Woman-Missing-The-Target-While-Throwing-Darts-Poster-Art-Print.jpg

Unless kernowboy knows something we don't, there is no substance to it. We know Seattle has shown a little interest in the SUMMER Olympics, but I've never seen

them taking a serious look at the Winter Games. And I don't foresee it happening anytime in the near future

No, what I was suggesting is that cities capable of hosting a Winter Olympics undoubtedly consider it as a possibility especially if their winter sports exposure increases. If Seattle gets a NHL team, that might change their perspective.

As it is, the USA are putting forward a sorry group of candidates all with significant baggage.

I'd even suggest Burlington, Vermont might be a better location.

At the moment Denver is in the box seat but if they add Colorado Springs it could leave them dead in the water.

No, what I was suggesting is that cities capable of hosting a Winter Olympics undoubtedly consider it as a possibility especially if their winter sports exposure increases. If Seattle gets a NHL team, that might change their perspective.

As it is, the USA are putting forward a sorry group of candidates all with significant baggage.

I'd even suggest Burlington, Vermont might be a better location.

At the moment Denver is in the box seat but if they add Colorado Springs it could leave them dead in the water.

See what I'm saying about throwing darts? You can't suggest a location, list a few of their venues and automatically assume it's a good spot for the Olympics. I've been to Burlington.. nice city and all, but what do you really know about them that makes you think they could host a Winter Olympics, especially with Lake Placid less than 2 hours away?

Now, Seattle.. are they capable of hosting a Winter Olympics? Maybe they are (although I'd still like to hear about a mountain component), but we haven't seen a shred of interest in the Winter Olympics from them (although again, we have definitely heard about them talking Summer Olympics, even though it's based on a plan that could never get off the ground). You can't throw them out there and call it "a possibility" until someone in that city starts talking about it. Will things change if Seattle builds a new arena and maybe gets an NHL team? It could, but let's cross that bridge when we get there.

Here's the other thing to consider. It costs a lot of money just to bid for an Olympics, let alone to actually host them. So even if you have a city/region that is capable, who says they have to try and land an Olympics, especially in a down economy. If a city and the USOC come together and think they have a winner, they'll bid. But I hardly consider it a knock against the United States (who hosted 4 Olympics in a span of less than a quarter century) that they're not as aggressively pursuing an Olympics as you seem to think they should. If you want to continue to throw cities out there, go right ahead. I'm more than happy to discuss the pros and cons. But when you're talking about a city (like Burlington.. and I'm sorry, but that's pretty laughable for you to bring them up) that has never shown a shred of interest in the Olympics, it's hard to see any reality in that possibility.

And BTW.. is Denver really dead in the water because of Colorado Springs? You find me a bid, winning or otherwise, that didn't have some baggage or some noticeable flaws and then get back to me. There is no perfect bid. You have to take the good with the bad.

See what I'm saying about throwing darts? You can't suggest a location, list a few of their venues and automatically assume it's a good spot for the Olympics. I've been to Burlington.. nice city and all, but what do you really know about them that makes you think they could host a Winter Olympics, especially with Lake Placid less than 2 hours away?

Now, Seattle.. are they capable of hosting a Winter Olympics? Maybe they are (although I'd still like to hear about a mountain component), but we haven't seen a shred of interest in the Winter Olympics from them (although again, we have definitely heard about them talking Summer Olympics, even though it's based on a plan that could never get off the ground). You can't throw them out there and call it "a possibility" until someone in that city starts talking about it. Will things change if Seattle builds a new arena and maybe gets an NHL team? It could, but let's cross that bridge when we get there.

Here's the other thing to consider. It costs a lot of money just to bid for an Olympics, let alone to actually host them. So even if you have a city/region that is capable, who says they have to try and land an Olympics, especially in a down economy. If a city and the USOC come together and think they have a winner, they'll bid. But I hardly consider it a knock against the United States (who hosted 4 Olympics in a span of less than a quarter century) that they're not as aggressively pursuing an Olympics as you seem to think they should. If you want to continue to throw cities out there, go right ahead. I'm more than happy to discuss the pros and cons. But when you're talking about a city (like Burlington.. and I'm sorry, but that's pretty laughable for you to bring them up) that has never shown a shred of interest in the Olympics, it's hard to see any reality in that possibility.

And BTW.. is Denver really dead in the water because of Colorado Springs? You find me a bid, winning or otherwise, that didn't have some baggage or some noticeable flaws and then get back to me. There is no perfect bid. You have to take the good with the bad.

I'm aware of the weaknesses of Burlington but it has a suitably sized metro area. When there is talk of a New England bid the only two realistic contenders are them and Portland, Maine as they are within the 100-110miles of the necessary distance of 800m.

If the East Coast want to hold another Olympics, Albany it way too far way so it would have to be a Lake Placid/Burlington event or something done by Maine - Portland did look at the WYOG not long ago

Personally I wouldn't miss a wink of sleep if the USA didn't hold another Olympics until 2094 or 2096

I think USA comeback all 20 years for WoG. (1960-1980-2002- next 2022). The turn is USA-Europe-Asia-Canada-Europe-USA. Etc. North America has only Two possibilities (Canada or USA) and it's the main winter host with Europe. You can't do without North America more than 8 years.

I imagine USA 2022 (Winter) and 2028 (Summer), like Atlanta-Salt Lake City.

I'm aware of the weaknesses of Burlington but it has a suitably sized metro area. When there is talk of a New England bid the only two realistic contenders are them and Portland, Maine as they are within the 100-110miles of the necessary distance of 800m.

If the East Coast want to hold another Olympics, Albany it way too far way so it would have to be a Lake Placid/Burlington event or something done by Maine - Portland did look at the WYOG not long ago

Personally I wouldn't miss a wink of sleep if the USA didn't hold another Olympics until 2094 or 2096

Suitably sized metro area?!?? The city of Burlington has a population of around 40,000. The metro area population is just over 200,000. Doesn't sound too suitably sized for a 21st century Winter Olympics to me. Yea, good luck with that one, especially in a domestic competition with Denver, Reno/Tahoe, and Salt Lake all out there.

And other than this board, where has there been serious talk of a New England Winter Olympics? When you call them realistic contenders, what are you basing that one? That they satisfy 1 of many requirements by having a mountain with an 800m vertical drop (let alone that it's 100 miles from the city you want to bid)? Again, if you want to talk in terms of every conceivable possibility, go right ahead. But there's nothing realistic about these cities bidding on an Olympics, certainly not anytime soon.

I think USA comeback all 20 years for WoG. (1960-1980-2002- next 2022). The turn is USA-Europe-Asia-Canada-Europe-USA. Etc. North America has only Two possibilities (Canada or USA) and it's the main winter host with Europe. You can't do without North America more than 8 years.

I imagine USA 2022 (Winter) and 2028 (Summer), like Atlanta-Salt Lake City.

You sure about that one? There's no such thing as turns. And the IOC seemed to have done just fine with 14 years from Calgary to Salt Lake and now with at least 12 from Vancouver to whatever. I think many would argue here (myself included) that 2022 seems more destined for Europe than for North America. Then maybe 2026 sets up nicely for the United States. And if 2022 does land here, do you really think it will be just 6 years later than a Summer Olympics winds up here as well? I sincerely doubt that. Just because that happened once does not imply it's at all likely to happen again.

You sure about that one? There's no such thing as turns. And the IOC seemed to have done just fine with 14 years from Calgary to Salt Lake and now with at least 12 from Vancouver to whatever. I think many would argue here (myself included) that 2022 seems more destined for Europe than for North America. Then maybe 2026 sets up nicely for the United States. And if 2022 does land here, do you really think it will be just 6 years later than a Summer Olympics winds up here as well? I sincerely doubt that. Just because that happened once does not imply it's at all likely to happen again.

Hum for summer games, If South Africa doesn't bid (And without Oceania before 1 or 2 decade), I think we could imagine CIO will respect Continent rotation : 2008 Asia, 2012 Europe, 2016 America, 2020 Asia or Europe, 2024 Europe or Asia , 2028 America

2022 seems to be obscure for Europe : Swiss will have lot of difficulties to convince population to bid (remember Geneva 2018), Munich is very uncertain (German Summer Bid?), Oslo seems very soon for Norway after Lillehammer, Barcelona? Is It serious?... For the moment Europe doesn't have serious bid. If USA bid to 2022, they could win without difficulties. I can't imagine Barcelona win WoG, Swiss and Germany could be serious adversary for USA if they bid, but without Germany or Swiss, I can't imagine European city win in 2022.

And moreover USA remains the main market and economic place for Olympic Games, we could imagine 2022/2028, but of course it's a supposition, but I think it could be realistic.

Oslo has one of the world's leading Winter Sports nations - and they've even now got an up and coming Ice Hockey team could easily deserve another Winter Olympics especially as it will be 28years since they last held it.

As for the Swiss, they've actually been quite clever in bidding with Graubunden. With the exception of Valais it was the most clever location. The problem with Geneva and Berne before it, has been the location of events in different cantons, meaning all had to vote in favour. Host the games in one canton, and you've only got one referendum to win.

As for Barcelona-La Molina, if Madrid doesn't win 2020, then you've got a world class city, close enough to the Alpine locations with both good and rail links and almost all the indoor facilities available and ready to use, or teams ready to occupy any new venues.

What is there not to like?

2022 seems to be obscure for Europe : Swiss will have lot of difficulties to convince population to bid (remember Geneva 2018), Munich is very uncertain (German Summer Bid?), Oslo seems very soon for Norway after Lillehammer, Barcelona? Is It serious?... For the moment Europe doesn't have serious bid. If USA bid to 2022, they could win without difficulties. I can't imagine Barcelona win WoG, Swiss and Germany could be serious adversary for USA if they bid, but without Germany or Swiss, I can't imagine European city win in 2022.

And moreover USA remains the main market and economic place for Olympic Games, we could imagine 2022/2028, but of course it's a supposition, but I think it could be realistic.

I don't know that the United States has a serious bid for 2022 either. Even if they do, I hardly think they're about to win that race as easily as you seem to think. The thing to remember about the United States.. NBComcast committed more than 4 billion dollars for a package of 4 Olympics not knowing the hosts for 2 of them. So does the IOC really need to award an Olympics to the United States on that basis if it's not going to make a difference in terms of television rights? As for Europe, someone will emerge eventually, I'm sure. And as discussed, the United States hardly has a compelling bid like they did with Salt Lake for 1998 and 2002.

Does anyone ever discus Denver in the Denver thread.....I don't read this forum very often now but when I do look there is so much thread drift from what I was hoping to read that I quickly loose interest.

Are people really talking about Burlington! I have to laugh.

Does anyone ever discus Denver in the Denver thread.....I don't read this forum very often now but when I do look there is so much thread drift from what I was hoping to read that I quickly loose interest.

Are people really talking about Burlington! I have to laugh.

We are all guilty of it :lol:

Seriously.. I barely even check the thread title anymore. It hardly seems to matter!

Personally, I like how Gbids lets the conversations flow and take the threads into new, and often interesting directions. I've been on other forums when as soon as something is deemed “off-topic” (often in incredibly nit-picking ways), the threads are closed.

But, hey, I'm always a fan of “lite” moderation.

Archived