Rio 2016 torch relay

I really love the idea behind it.

Is it asking for trouble having all that technology inside it, technology that can go wrong.

But still round of applause for Rio 2016, just when you think you've seen it all. They have to carry that idea through to the cauldron somehow, surely!

• Like 2

It must have been tested thoroughly so that they could say it'll open when it is lit, so I think it'll be fine.

Theres not one torch though is there? There are 12,000 torches. Im sure the technology works fine, it just has to be fine 12000 times. Im sure they tested the Sydney cauldron and said it works just fine.

Anyway, Good luck to them with their ambition though, great idea, great execution.

Edited by daveypodmore

Beautiful, clean, elegant design which reflects everything else we've seen so far from Rio. Nice job.

I really want to see it in real life before I decide if it's good or great though because.

1. I hope the coloured areas are clear enough in real life and it doesn't just look like a curvy white stick with some small details from a distance. I hope they "shine" somehow, especially for the evening legs of the relay.

2. I'm not won over on the whole opening up thing. It seems a little bit of a gimmick to me right now, but willing to be proven wrong once we see it in action.

Overall, a fine job though.

• Like 3

Beautiful, clean, elegant design which reflects everything else we've seen so far from Rio. Nice job.

I really want to see it in real life before I decide if it's good or great though because.

1. I hope the coloured areas are clear enough in real life and it doesn't just look like a curvy white stick with some small details from a distance. I hope they "shine" somehow, especially for the evening legs of the relay.

2. I'm not won over on the whole opening up thing. It seems a little bit of a gimmick to me right now, but willing to be proven wrong once we see it in action.

Overall, a fine job though.

You can see file footage of the presentation:

http://globoesporte.globo.com/olimpiadas/noticia/2015/07/com-curvas-do-brasil-tocha-olimpica-do-rio-2016-e-apresentada.html

Concept is ingenious...but:

1. Works better at night

2. Does the "reticulation" of the parts LOCK in when the flame is lit? And with the constant jogging from the runner, won't the pieces "collapse" back into place -- thereby invalidating the whole idea??

3. The mechanics of this are a little too elaborate for a mere torch.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I changed my mind: this is so far the riskiest piece of design from Rio 2016, as it's concept isn't solely based on the flame, but the moveable parts as well. Let's hope the contraption don't turn to a distraction.

doesn't*, sorry.

• Like 1

You guys are thinking about a eletronic stuff, probably it's not electronic (it would increase the price of the torch and carry a lot of criticism to Brazil in times of economic downturn). I still think it's something as simple as some bottom to release the whole thing or hot air inflating and pushing the pieces up...

It's not risky, the torch will "work" as torch even if the thing doesn't open...

Human heat is another theme of this brazilian relay. I place my bet on a simple thermal thingie to lock/unlock it:

HEY! You can nominate a friend to run with the torch! Please, halp!!!!

Featuring "O Trenzinho do Caipira". Makes me cry every time.

• Like 1