Rio 2016 torch relay

I think the part on the top that actually holds the flame is different from the golden recessed thing we saw before. In other close ups I saw on Twitter the torch appears to have this gray convex material instead.

Also I feel like we should have expected the top of the torch to get all grody since it's essentially white plastic being hit with an orange flame constantly.

It's possible that the sootiness is simply a result of the ancient Greek fuel used in the Olympia torch, and that it won't be a problem on the actual relay.

I hope.

This is where it started to feel very real four years ago. No doubt Brazilians will start getting the same feeling soon when the torch lands over there.

Best of luck!

Isn't it just Rob! I can't believe it is four years ago - I hope the Brazilians enjoy the games and the relay as much as we did here in the UK. Special days ahead!

• Like 1

The 1st day of the Torch Relay in Greece

The Olympic Flame was warmly welcomed, during the first day of the Greek leg of the Olympic Torch Relay. After the Lighting ceremony in Ancient Olympia the sacred light headed to Pyrgos where the cauldron was lit by the junior world record man in pole vault, Emmouil Karalis.

The young athlete received the warm applause of hundreds of students. Then the torch relay passed from Amaliada, then the site of ancient Ilida were a beautiful ceremony took place. The relay continued to Lechaina, Kyllini and traveled by ferry to the Ionian island of Zakynthos. Thousands of people welcomed the Flame carrying Greek and Brazilian flags. Tomorrow, in the second day of the torch relay, the Flame will start its journey from Zakynthos, to Patras, Astakos, Mesolonghi, Nikopoli and will arrive to Preveza

Sem_t_tulo.jpg
Cgjso_Ov_Ws_AA9_N4_V.jpg
  • Like 1

Great to see the lighting. London really does just feel like yesterday.

Have Rio just nicked Londons outfits and re-coloured them?

To tell the truth, I'm relieved that they are not using this thing you posted a while ago

2ed73uh.jpg

• Like 1

First time I watched a torch lighting ceremony. Excellent speech from Nuzman. We don't need Dilma for this. Some people from brazilian delegation was crying.

But is always the same? By these pictures you can see women wearing very similar dresses.

With all the crap going on in Brazil i'm just hoping this torch relay doesn't becomes a Beijing 2008 2.0.

Also, feels like it was yesterday when the torch relay of London 2012 began.

olympic-torch-lighting.jpg

The start of the torch relay:

CgjxeI2WwAAkNKk.jpg

But is always the same? By these pictures you can see women wearing very similar dresses.

They vary it a little each time. ALso, this time, the guys were in green tunics. They used to be in same beige, shorter version, as the priesteses.

They have a full-time choreographer/stager, Artemis Ignatiou. She tweaks the ceremony and the dances a little each time; so that indeed one ceremony is unique and doesn't look exactly the same as the last one. But the basic elements are the same. And then she also does the ceremony at Panathinaikos where the hand-off to ROCOG will be made.

• Like 1

Ah, memories of the 2012 relay - and the BBC torchcam. Are Brazil doing anything like that this year?

Technology has moved on a wee bit since 2012. The flame has its own Twitter account and it looks like they're using Periscope to broadcast, which saves having to get a national broadcaster involved!

https://twitter.com/OlympicFlame

The video in portuguese posted above contradicts this article. The presenter said the cauldron will be lit at Maracanã and will stay there. There will be a second cauldron. And they are in doubt if it will be placed in the olympic stadium or elsewhere in the city.

The other revelation is that they paid tribute to Baron Pierre, who died some time ago. The Baron who posts here is actually an impostor.

To tell the truth, I'm relieved that they are not using this thing you posted a while ago

2ed73uh.jpg

Its their loss I guess ; )

No mass hysteria about the location of the cauldron, thats good to see. God only knows what the reaction would have been if London had suggested such a thing.

• Like 1

That would be controversial if it had no precedent. If the cauldron really stay somewhere in the city, the good thing is that people will see the cauldron quite close anytime and take pictures without the need for a ticket for the stadium where it would stay. I can go to Barra for a basketball match, then go to Copacabana for the beach volleyball and stop at Mauá Square after to see the cauldron before take the ferry to come back to Niterói. I don't have tickets for the OC or football so I would never see the flame inside the stadium. I think this is a good idea.

Has anyone seen a video of the "kiss" extension (ha) actually working? You can already tell they modified the top of the torch to hold the flame better or something like that, but it seems like all the torches are extended when the flame is passed...

They said the torch would open when lit and I think this caused some confusion. The mechanism is manual and very simple. To open the torch you need to press a button at the bottom of the torch. I think the idea was to press the button when it lights but no one is doing this.