Rio 2016 torch relay

• 3 weeks later...
Olympic flame to visit Lausanne ahead of Rio 2016 torch relay

The Olympic flame will briefly visit the Olympic Capital of Lausanne in Switzerland before heading to Brazilian soil next summer.

The flame will be lit according to tradition in the olive groves at Ancient Olympia and will tour Greece before it is handed over to the Rio 2016 Organising Committee at a special ceremony in Athens.

Organising Chief Carlos Nuzman confirmed that Lausanne would be the only international stopover before the flame is flown to Brazil.

The flame will spend time at the Olympic Museum on the banks of Lake Geneva in a visit timed to coincide with a special exhibition on Brazil.

It will also be taken to Mon Repos, the elegant villa which served as Olympic headquarters from the twenties to 1968.

It will not be the first time the flame has been there.

In 1948, it was taken overland through Europe only a few days before the Games were due to open in London.

Runners took the torch to Mon Repos where IOC founder Pierre de Coubertin's widow Marie was waiting to greet the runners.

In 2004, Athens staged the most international relay yet seen.

The flame visited all the cities which had previously hosted the Games and others of special significance.

When the flame arrived in Lausanne, IOC President Jacques Rogge played his part in a relay to “Pass the Flame, Unite the World.”

He was one of 120 people to do so in the city.

It is likely that Nuzman will have the final say in deciding who will light the cauldron in the Maracana Stadium at the Rio 2016 opening ceremony next summer.

That will remain a closely guarded secret until the night but he did confirm that a representative of the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee will carry the flame as part of Rio’s relay in 2016.

“It will be a great journey with the torch but be sure, to choose the list of the torchbearers is not easy. It is split between the sponsors, National Olympic Committee and the government,“ he said.

The final list of those who will carry the flame around Brazil is expected by the end of the year.

Officials confirmed that the Olympic hymn will not be sung in Portuguese when the Olympic flag is raised at the Opening ceremony.

The original lyrics written by the 19th century poet Kostis Palamis are in Greek, but Rio has opted to follow London’s example with a performance in English.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1029801/olympic-flame-to-visit-lausanne-ahead-of-rio-2016-torch-relay

• 2 weeks later...

^ on 21 apr 2016

In a press conference at Barra Olympic Park, Carlos Nuzman, president of the Rio 2016 Organising Committee, announced that the torch will be lit in the Greek city of Olympia, according to the ancient tradition of the Olympic Games, on 21 April 2016.

After a quick tour of Greece, the torch will be passed to Brazilian organisers on 27 April. And, on 3 May 2016, the Rio 2016 Olympic Torch Relay will finally begin in Brasília, lasting 95 days and culminating in the lighting of the cauldron at the Maracanã Stadium, on 5 August 2016

http://www.rio2016.com/en/news/news/rio-2016-olympic-torch-relay-to-start-on-3-may

• Like 1

That brief Olympic Torch relay video doesn't mention Laussane being a brief stop before touching down to Brazil and having just left Greece. Had to be because it's only just announced after the video.

I also spotted that Nissan is a Rio 2016 sponsor too. So it stands to reason that the company will supply the cars for the Torch Relay like the deep grey one seen in the animation going all through Brazil like it's a road trip. But there's got be trucks and vans Nissan will supply for this too. Plus, there's got to be a Brazilian athlete hopeful with Greek heritage in Olympia who will have the distinction of being the first Brazilian to carry the torch.

No Nissan trucks or buses in Brazil. It will be something like the World Cup. Trucks and buses from other companies without their logos and ad boards from Nissan on it.

How do you know, Danny? #1 - The World Cup had no torch relay; so not the same thing.

#2 - When they select the Torch Relay sponsors...they take all of that into consideration. When they had the Salt Lake 2002 relay, GM was one of the sponsors because they used GM vehicles and GM dealerships across the country was where people picked up nomination forms for the Torch-runners. It's inconceivable that Nissan will pay at least $25 million to be a majro Rio 2016 partner and NOT be asked to supply the vehicles. Isn't it a Brazilian bank that's also a 2016 Relay sponsor? So that bank will also be a source of the Nominations forms and, if they haven't been already, a place where people w/o use of the internet, pick up their ticket order forms.

How do you know, Danny? #1 - The World Cup had no torch relay; so not the same thing.

#2 - When they select the Torch Relay sponsors...they take all of that into consideration. When they had the Salt Lake 2002 relay, GM was one of the sponsors because they used GM vehicles and GM dealerships across the country was where people picked up nomination forms for the Torch-runners. It's inconceivable that Nissan will pay at least $25 million to be a majro Rio 2016 partner and NOT be asked to supply the vehicles. Isn't it a Brazilian bank that's also a 2016 Relay sponsor? So that bank will also be a source of the Nominations forms and, if they haven't been already, a place where people w/o use of the internet, pick up their ticket order forms.

Baron, Nissan will provide cars for anything in the games and they are selling cars with Rio 2016 stickers on it and making TV ads about the Olympics. The dealerships around Brazil have Rio 2016 logos and so on.

I'm not talking about cars, but trucks and buses, and Nissan does not produce them in Brazil.

Understand: the costs of importing vehicles, specially Buses and Trucks to Brazil is absurd (and the bureaucracy is crazy to do so). I can tell you never saw any truck of bus that was not made in Brazil or Argentina in our roads and highways.

So, I'm sure Nissan won't spend tons of money for every single bus or truck needed to the games as much as Hyundai didn't for the World Cup, they probably will just add banners to buses made in Brazil.

31cdf8fb48d24955edbb46071c2be685.jpg

Marcopolo MERCEDES-BENZ engine and chassi buses using Hyundai banners during the World Cup in Salvador.

4164764156-marca-e-uma-das-patrocinadora

Cars from KIA (available in local market of Brazil) and Marcopolo-Mercedes buses used during the World Cup in Sao Paulo.

Nissan cars made in Brazil (there are a bunch of models) will be everywhere like in the PanAms and (Hyundai/Kia cars made in Brazil in the World Cup) giving support the games and torch relay (since Nissan is also the sponsor of the Games).

Brazil is a sensitive market for vehicles, since there is a strong national industry, the 4th in the planet - not to mention, Brazil have more different brands vehicle plants than any country in the world - and the govt requires huge taxes over the value of a car to import a model... Imagine this apllied to expensive things like buses and trucks.

About torch bearers, only Coca-Cola website are getting registrations in Brazil for people to carry the torch.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Baron, stop assuming things about Brazil from the American perspective that:

- Everything must be like in the US/Europe. It won't.

- If not, it's an absurd to not be like in the US/Europe. It's not.

South America is a different continent, it was isolated from the world (and had no influence from the American-British way of do things) until not much time ago, so in the meantime we created our systems and we have our laws, our mistakes, our problems but also our good things and our way of life. Get used to it. Our cars are made here and govts from South America biggest countries with car industries makes things very difficult to import vehicles from outside Latin America.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Baron, stop assuming things about Brazil from the American perspective that:

- Everything must be like in the US/Europe. It won't.

- If not, it's an absurd to not be like in the US/Europe. It's not.

South America is a different continent, it was isolated from the world (and had no influence from the American-British way of do things) until not much time ago, so in the meantime we created our systems and we have our laws, our mistakes, our problems but also our good things and our way of life. Get used to it. Our cars are made here and govts from South America biggest countries with car industries makes things very difficult to import vehicles from outside Latin America.

I'm not saying it should be "done" the American way ...but it's the "Olympic" way -- the way the IOC does things...which is why they award the bigger Summer Games to the industrialized and industrializing countries so all the high-tech demands of a SOG can be met domestically. That is my point -- NOT that I'm pushing the "American" way. I can only speak of how they did it here. I cannot speak of how they did it in Russia or China becuz I wasn't there, first-hand.

The deal guarantees the provision of 4,500 vehicles of different models which are required by Rio 2016™ at Games time to transport clients, such as athletes, technical officials, media, operational teams, National Olympic Committees, International Sports Federations, the International Olympic Committee and commercial partners. The Games-time car fleet will prioritise the use of clean energy (ethanol or electricity) supporting Rio 2016™’s efforts to achieve sustainability targets across the Games. Furthermore, a proportion of the fleet will be wheelchair-accessible and vehicle models will include top sedans, medium size sedans and SUVs.

http://www.rio2016.com/en/news/news/rio-2016-announces-nissan-as-automotive-sponsor-of-the-olympic-games-in-rio

Basically any "taxi" service the IOC needs for its members, athletes, 'props' that isn't a permanent part of the transport infrastructure in the city will be Nissan. As it was with London 2012 and BMW.

I wonder what car they'll use on the infield this time...

• Like 1

http://www.rio2016.com/en/news/news/rio-2016-announces-nissan-as-automotive-sponsor-of-the-olympic-games-in-rio

Basically any "taxi" service the IOC needs for its members, athletes, 'props' that isn't a permanent part of the transport infrastructure in the city will be Nissan. As it was with London 2012 and BMW.

I wonder what car they'll use on the infield this time...

Yes, probably with Nissan Altima, Nissan Frontier and Nissan Sentra

Nissan-Altima-2015.png

0,,16066544-EX,00.jpg

novo-nissan-sentra-2015-fotos.jpg

Maybe Brazilian Nissan Versa can be used for less relevant people transportation service

Nissan-Versa-2014-1.jpg

I'm not saying it should be "done" the American way ...but it's the "Olympic" way -- the way the IOC does things...which is why they award the bigger Summer Games to the industrialized and industrializing countries so all the high-tech demands of a SOG can be met domestically. That is my point -- NOT that I'm pushing the "American" way. I can only speak of how they did it here. I cannot speak of how they did it in Russia or China becuz I wasn't there, first-hand.

In this case and some few more, olympic way probably will be bended to Brazilian law as much FIFA way was bended about buses and trucks for the first time ever.

Hyundai/Kia was not able to bring their buses to Brazil because of import restrictions of these kind of vehicles, not to mention the huge costs to bring buses from the other side of the world just to showcase a product that is not available in this very market.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Obviously, it will be what vehicles Nissan can supply. If it's non-Nissan vehicles, then they just won't get those in front of the cameras somehow.

In LA-1984, Buick was the Official Automobile...and they used those for the IOC members, etc. but they used existing schoolbuses, covered with the LA Star in Motion logo, for transporting the athletes and the media.

Obviously, it will be what vehicles Nissan can supply. If it's non-Nissan vehicles, then they just won't get those in front of the cameras somehow.

In LA-1984, Buick was the Official Automobile...and they used those for the IOC members, etc. but they used existing schoolbuses, covered with the LA Star in Motion logo, for transporting the athletes and the media.

School buses? How tacky

School buses? How tacky

LA did that with the Special Olympics earlier this year. I thought it was pretty cool. A strip from the "look of the games" was used to cover the LAUSD signage, so the whole thing looked pretty festive (and money-saving!). During the opening ceremony, there was a whole line of them parked in the Coliseum lot, and I thought it looked really neat, though, it probably won't be too practical for an actual Olympics.

So cute! Maybe Rio can have mini brt lanes around the stadia and have mini buses roll on 'em?

On second thought, that would be a terrible idea. Gondalas are way better!

During the PanAms, Rio city hall used city buses with stickers to transport athletes and media...

BREDA10.jpg

CDO_RJ_RJ_ACARI%200170.JPG

Rio have one of the biggest bus fleets in the world (in the 1990s, it was the second biggest only behind Sao Paulo, and the biggest bus per capita in the whole planet)

Edited by DannyelBrazil