Rio 2016 torch relay

I see. It "locks/unlocks" in the inside. Migosh, that makes the mechanics inside (together with the whole lighting mechanism) so complicated. I bet that will be the most expensive torch to produce, per torch.

I have sure this mechanics is not so expansive like the all golden of the London torch.

I have sure this mechanics is not so expansive like the all golden of the London torch.

Disagree. The R&D that went into this I bet was pretty high vs. if this model did NOT use five (5) "locking sections."

I also bet that the liability insurance the COJO and the 3 sponsors (since it carries their name) will be equally high.

But you won't believe me. Felipe. So, let's agree to disagree.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

evento-tocha-olimpica-rio-2016_getty.jpgrevezamento-tocha-paralimpica.jpg

That's no indication of how the Paralympic torch will look it - because the multi-color rendition of the regular Olympic poster produced a white torch; so how can the "blue" one in the Paralympic poster produce a "blue" torch? I think the Paralympic torch will be the same white design but just carry the 2016 Paralympic logo.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I did not see any comment about the amazing music they have chosen as the theme of the torch relay. The lyrics are amazing and really has a very big reference the travel of the torch. Probably we hear this music in ceremonies next year

A Traveler's Life - Luiz Gonzaga

"My life is to walk by this country

To see if one day rest happy
Keeping the memories
The land where I have spent
Walking through the backlands
And the friends that I left there
Rain and sun
And coal dust
Far from home
Following the script
Another season
And the joy in the heart
My life is walking through this country
To see if one day rest happy
Keeping the memories
The land where I have spent
Walking through the backlands
And the friends that I left there
Sea and land
Winter and summer
Show smile
Show the joy
But I do not even
And the longing in the heart"

This is a fantastic looking torch, which expands upwards when lit to reveal the inner colours and "wave" design.

London's was just plain horrible. Should have been aluminum (silver colour) rather than that gold bling, with a leather area (made of English leather of course) for the torchbearer's hands. In addition to this, there should have been 3 logos, the 1908 London one, 1948 London one and that awful one we eventually got facing the "front", which would be in Union Jack colours. The others would be in monocrome or silver relief.

This is a fantastic looking torch, which expands upwards when lit to reveal the inner colours and "wave" design.

London's was just plain horrible. Should have been aluminum (silver colour) rather than that gold bling, with a leather area (made of English leather of course) for the torchbearer's hands. In addition to this, there should have been 3 logos, the 1908 London one, 1948 London one and that awful one we eventually got facing the "front", which would be in Union Jack colours. The others would be in monocrome or silver relief.

You're forever trying to redesign everything to YOUR liking, Lord D. Maybe there's a reason you weren't asked?? And maybe you should found your own design firm so you can be in there competing with what you think should be the "right" designs. In the meantime, things are what they are. London's was fine. There is also such a thing as less is more; and simplicity sometimes is fine.

• Like 2

Sounds like a total mess.

Ours looked great during the relays - light, brilliant and reflected the sunlight (yes we did have some) or stadium floodlights. Still need to see how Rio's looks during the relay before I decide if I love theirs. For me, that will depend how prominent the coloured bits are.

• Like 2

Simplicity is fine- Londons aws not simple. Triangular, punched metal, blingy gold colour- a design that did not match the cauldron, logo or sub-graphics- it was an inelegant mess.

Punched metal = reduced weight and materials; blingy gold colour looked good on the relay in combination with the runners' white-with-grey-detailing uniforms.

The rounded triangle shape was indeed nothing to do with the London 2012 "look", perhaps because it was designed at a time when the most obvious manifestation of the "look" was Lisa Simpson. The torch design was, however, integrated with the 1948 cauldron design via the rounded-triangular travelling cauldron based on the 1948 stadium cauldron design, and it was integrated with the 2012 cauldron via the rounded-triangular profile of the individual "petals".

a single mechanism in the base which pushes the gas tank (and hence also the top segment) upwards, dragging the intermediate segments upwards by simple latches.

CJCmUwKWUAAUXFs.jpg

From the above pic posted by neneu10, showing the innards of the torch when fully extended, and the gas tank still right at the bottom, it seems that my guess was slightly wrong. Looks like that narrow section of the spinal tube immediately on the top of the gas tank may be significant (and why does there seem to be a little soda-siphon gas tank inside the main gas tank?)

A possible answer to my question is that the torch weight is quoted as "between 1kg and 1.5kg". That suggests that maybe there are two different gas tank options, a little one for urban relay stages and a big one for longer transits.

• Like 1

You know poopooing another torch design does not make this and more or less beautiful.

London's Torch was serviceable and was in cohesion with the 'look' of London. (Although not as obvious)

Not look at the torch. I not as impress with it. The in real life photos looks like a storm troopers dildo. And the mechanism has a dread of having a 1200+ Sydney cauldron incedents.

We have just seen the Rio 2016 torch and are thrilled to announce that it is the most sensationally creative and ambitious statement of Olympic spirit exquisitely blended with Latin flavour. It is now the new benchmark of excellence. It is Officially a 10!

We have just seen the Rio 2016 torch and are thrilled to announce that it is the most sensationally creative and ambitious statement of Olympic spirit exquisitely blended with Latin flavour. It is now the new benchmark of excellence. It is Officially a 10!

Who is "we"?

Edited by Rob.

Punched metal = reduced weight and materials; blingy gold colour looked good on the relay in combination with the runners' white-with-grey-detailing uniforms.

The rounded triangle shape was indeed nothing to do with the London 2012 "look", perhaps because it was designed at a time when the most obvious manifestation of the "look" was Lisa Simpson. The torch design was, however, integrated with the 1948 cauldron design via the rounded-triangular travelling cauldron based on the 1948 stadium cauldron design, and it was integrated with the 2012 cauldron via the rounded-triangular profile of the individual "petals".

Actually, you forgot. There was a reason for the triangular shape. That was to mark the 3 times that London has hosted the SOGs; and it was conveyed in a very subtle way. It was elegant and simple. Not fussy the way this Rio torch is -- but fussy in a beautiful way.

A possible answer to my question is that the torch weight is quoted as "between 1kg and 1.5kg". That suggests that maybe there are two different gas tank options, a little one for urban relay stages and a big one for longer transits.

Very astute observation and deduction, JMark.

• Like 1

Honestly, I think we are facing the most creative, innovative and best Olympic Torch ever.... The desing of the Torch this time get to the top!!!!! Really...

The colors, the innovation, the vivid movement, and dynamism.... that energy is te classical Brazilian spirit...

But I still love the London Torch design, elegant, simple and with class.... reflecting the British spirit...

My favorite torchs are:

Salt Lake 2002: Love the ice sensation... too elegant.. And so far Salt Lake cauldron is my favorite...

Beijing 2008: Love the design, colors and the topic (rolled paper) at that time ... Hence, lots of similarities have been made...

Sydney 2000 : Love the dyanmism at that time: the curve of the boomerang and the Opera House roof represented on it. White and blue colors gave me a fresh sensation: beach and joyfull...

Seoul 1988 : Elegant... May be an overloaded design... but love the colors reminds me thousands years of culture, like trying to say "a golden culture"

Lillehammer 1994: Simply, but innovative... the wood with fire at the top really works...

Nagano 1998 : The colors really liked me... also may be a little overloaded, but it carries the Japanese spirit on it, clearly...

Atlanta 1996 : Don't know why, but I love it... maybe for its simplicity... elegant....

For me, the Torch I dislike the most:

Almost every old torches who looked like toilet plungers

Barcelona '92: Ironically, one of the best games ever had one of the ugliest torch ever... It seemed like a piece of iron taken out of any garage... no sense... no form... no colors... it looked like too heavy, difficult to find an appereance thaat reminds me something easily...

The worst... Albertville 1992 which really looked like a piece of turd....

• Like 2

Tour de force! Congrats to Rio 2016 - really sums up Rio's design tradition! Hope you have a successful relay as London 2012's was & enjoy the moment!

So next big reveal should be the medals - London revealed theirs at the year to go mark - wonder if Rio will do the same? Expecting a great design! Really forward to what promises to be a great games!!

For me, the Torch I dislike the most:

Barcelona '92: Ironically, one of the best games ever had one of the ugliest torch ever... It seemed like a piece of iron taken out of any garage... no sense... no form... no colors... it looked like too heavy, difficult to find an appereance thaat reminds me something easily...

The worst... Albertville 1992 which really looked like a piece of turd....

U r right. The 3 absolute worst are:

- Albertville

- Barcelona; and

-Sochi!

I think it was only starting w/ Seoul, in the Samaranch era, where the IOC was also open to more daring and innovative designs of the torch. Remember, the IOC has to OK the design of the torch -- as they have to OK everything.

My 3 favorites now are:

1. RIo

2. Salt Lake; and

3. Beijing

• Like 1