Rio 2016 torch relay

You guys are thinking about a eletronic stuff, probably it's not electronic (it would increase the price of the torch and carry a lot of criticism to Brazil in times of economic downturn). I still think it's something as simple as some bottom to release the whole thing or hot air inflating and pushing the pieces up...

It's not risky, the torch will "work" as torch even if the thing doesn't open...

Danny, the "hot air" balloon principle works ABOVE the flame, from the rising heat generated by the flame. Most of the flame of the torch is partially inside and then tongues of the flame are ABOVE. I think the "locking" mechanism is probably manual....so something like this.??

26fe139d19c3373c29424805c3636de3.jpg

But when the runner runs, will the various pieces stay in place? I hope so.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Danny, the "hot air" balloon principle works ABOVE the flame, from the rising heat generated by the flame. Most of the flame of the torch is partially inside and then tongues of the flame are ABOVE. I think the "locking" mechanism is probably manual....so something like this.??

But when the runner runs, will the various pieces stay in place? I hope so.

But you still have the heat... But, I agree it's too much intricate to make the whole thing work.

I bet in something more simple like those "press-button" pens... C'mon, it's not hard to make the whole thing open with a simple coil spring and a plastic mechanism to hold it when closed... Several toys have it, it's not new nor expensive to do.

evento-tocha-olimpica-rio-2016_getty.jpgrevezamento-tocha-paralimpica.jpg

The logo of Paralympic Torch have it just turned back... The higher drawing have three Rio mountains: Sugar Loaf (featured in the left banner), Pedra da Gávea (featured in the right banner) and Corcovado (as I see on TV news at noon).

Featuring "O Trenzinho do Caipira". Makes me cry every time.

Amazing and nice choice of music... Trenzinho do Caipira is so so Brazilian!

Edited by DannyelBrazil

But you still have the heat... But, I agree it's too much intricate to make the whole thing work.

I bet in something more simple like those "press-button" pens... C'mon, it's not hard to make the whole thing open with a simple coil spring and a plastic mechanism to hold it when closed... Several toys have it, it's not new nor expensive to do.

The logo of Paralympic Torch have it just turned back... The higher drawing have three Rio mountains: Sugar Loaf (featured in the left banner), Pedra da Gávea (featured in the right banner) and Corcovado (as I see on TV news at noon).

Amazing and nice choice of music... Trenzinho do Caipira is so so Brazilian!

Danny. don't start getting defensive again. Am just trying to figure out how this thing is crafted. Am NOT criticizing it. It is BEAUTIFUL and INGENIOUS. But as Davey had previously pointed out -- there are 12,000 + pieces to be manufactured; at what compromise point do you reach for practicality, safety and cost vs. producing something sooooooooo complicated that it ultimately flops. As the others said...think Sydney and Vancouver cauldrons -- ingenious and complicated....and those were only ONE OF A KIND, yet they failed. What more this thing...as it goes thrut the assembly line?? Am just wondering, Danny...that's all I'm expressing here. Not saying it's ugly and awful as you think.

And remember the Queen's Baton at the Glasgow Games? It didn't even have a flame and the guy and Queen Elizabeth couldn't even open the damned thing at the right time?

London only had 640 petals made for the cauldron. This one has a production goal of 12,000+ (including rejects and faulty ones), so I hope the Quality Control in the production will be top-notch.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Danny. don't start getting defensive again. Am just trying to figure out how this thing is crafted. Am NOT criticizing it. It is BEAUTIFUL and INGENIOUS. But as Davey had previously pointed out -- there are 12,000 + pieces to be manufactured; at what compromise point do you reach for practicality, safety and cost vs. producing something sooooooooo complicated that it ultimately flops. As the others said...think Sydney and Vancouver cauldrons -- ingenious and complicated....and those were only ONE OF A KIND, yet they failed. What more this thing...as it goes thrut the assembly line?? Am just wondering, Danny...that's all I'm expressing here. Not saying it's ugly and awful as you think.

And remember the Queen's Baton at the Glasgow Games? It didn't even have a flame and the guy and Queen Elizabeth couldn't even open the damned thing at the right time?

London only had 640 petals made for the cauldron. This one has a production goal of 12,000+ (including rejects and faulty ones), so I hope the Quality Control in the production will be top-notch.

Defensive? First, you have the right to hate whatever you want (but, I'm glad you liked), and somehow, after all these years, with all respect, I couldn't care less about the opinions here... Even if you hate everything about the games (it's not the case), so far, all the reviews around the internet are great, so, I'm pretty okay with this... This card "the defensive host city member" is so 2008-ish. Don't use it again, it doesn't work anymore. At least with me.

This said, I'm also trying to figure out how it is made... As I said, I bet in coil spring and plastic simple mechanism...

IMO, it's not anything electronic nor very intricate, indeed, the games message about recycling materials gives us a tip...

Your point about 12,000 pieces is perfect. They won't make anything costy and crazy.

I didn't watch Glasgow CWG games (not broadcasted here in Brazil) and I don't know what is the Queen's baton... Sorry

About Vancouver and Sydney, I'm almost sure this torch does not involve hydraulics...

Edited by DannyelBrazil

I really love the idea behind it.

Is it asking for trouble having all that technology inside it, technology that can go wrong.

But still round of applause for Rio 2016, just when you think you've seen it all. They have to carry that idea through to the cauldron somehow, surely!

I don't think there's much technology in it, just a central shaft which acts as the gas pipe, attached to the burners in the top segment and the gas tank in the base, with a single mechanism in the base which pushes the gas tank (and hence also the top segment) upwards, dragging the intermediate segments upwards by simple latches.

Very pretty, but definitely more of a manufacturing job than a perforated and folded sheet of metal with a fixed tank and burner.

I don't think there's much technology in it, just a central shaft which acts as the gas pipe, attached to the burners in the top segment and the gas tank in the base, with a single mechanism in the base which pushes the gas tank (and hence also the top segment) upwards, dragging the intermediate segments upwards by simple latches.

In other words, like a lot of micro-surgery just to put it together and then have a seamless finish.

I thought there was going to be like colored glass/vinyl all-around. But apparently, the "locks" are in the back...so the cut-outs don't go around 360 degrees. Not so nice close-up; nicer from afar.

Rob, does 3D printing also recreate the innards? Plus, you have to throw in the fuel ampule sometime.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I love it already. So far one of the most innovating torches i've seen in a long, long while. The idea of the landscape fits perfectly for the city. Well done, Rio!

My only complain is if this wouldn't work better at night with the lights glowing and stuff. I also hope they bring this same idea for the cauldron.

PS: The logo already spoiled pretty much most of the design since months ago, though :lol:

I thought there was going to be like colored glass/vinyl all-around. But apparently, the "locks" are in the back...so the cut-outs don't go around 360 degrees. Not so nice close-up; nicer from afar.

If you go to the 360 view on this website you can see the cutouts go all around the torch.

U14VtIY.pnglFSEOlu.png

If you go to the 360 view on this website you can see the cutouts go all around the torch.

U14VtIY.pnglFSEOlu.png

I see. It "locks/unlocks" in the inside. Migosh, that makes the mechanics inside (together with the whole lighting mechanism) so complicated. I bet that will be the most expensive torch to produce, per torch.

That is beautiful. Way better than London's (which did look a bit like novelty bubblewrap from some distances). Must say, every design Rio's come up with so far has been attractive - cant wait to see what they do with the cauldron(s) :)

• Like 1