Rio 2016 torch relay

• 2 months later...

TOP 10 NATURAL AND EXOTIC PLACES SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN THE ROUTE OF THE OLYMPIC TORCH

A few days ago someone said that the start of the Olympic Torch Relay in Sydney-2000 began in the desert. I remembered a interview with the communication director of the Comite River-2016 which said that Brazil has many lush places where the torch must pass, as the Amazonian forest for example. So I prepared a list of the top 10 natural places where the torch should go through Brazil, in my opnion. Here I go:

1 - IGUAZU FALLS

Is the 2nd place most visited in Brazil. Situated in the border of Argentina is one of the most famous natural landmarks of South America. We can found scenes of some movies of “007” and “Indiana Jones” filmed in this place.

7174549644_676c5e3d32_z.jpg

1024px-Iguazu_D%C3%A9cembre_2007_-_Panor

2 - SERRA GERAL NATIONAL PARK

This place is considered the “Brazilian Grand Canyon”, have a lot of tall moutains and canyons. Its not much visited but the image of the Olympic torch there would be impressive. Seems inaccessible, but is possible find a lot of roads in the borders of the canyons.

canyos.jpg01.jpg02.jpg104023261_cbfbc9411b.jpg

3 – AMAZONAS RIVER

Amazonas is the biggest river in the world and is the heart of the amazon rain forest. I think I don’t need say more.

rio-amazonas.jpg

4 – FERNANDO DE NORONHA

It’s a awesome island in the atlantic ocean. Is one of the most visited places in Brazil too and is considered the “Brazilian Hawaii”. Fernando de Noronha is to the nearest Brazilian place to Europe and Africa. In 2014 the Sancho Beach in Fernando de Noronha was considered the best beach in World.

8071651221_cf61327710_c.jpg11982890606_09fe9f354e_z.jpg

5 - COAST OF THE DISCOVERY

This was the first place that the Portuguese landed in Brazil. So is a important place to Brazilian history. Was called by the Portuguese by Pascoal Mountain. In the last World Cup the training center of the Germany team was there.

4514799951_022e8bb085_z.jpg

4258344256_75b4f3abf9_z.jpg?zz=1

6 – SÃO FRANCISCO RIVER

This river is one of the biggest river of Brazil. Runs through 5 states and 10% of the cities of Brazil. This river was a important factor to colonization of the northeastern of the country.

640px-Canind%C3%A9_de_S%C3%A3o_Francisco

7 – ROYAL ROAD

This road was an important way to Brazil's colonization in the epoch of the monarchy. Crosses several major Southeast cities, including Rio de Janeiro.

estrada%20real.jpgtabuleiro-1.jpg

8 – MOUNT RORAIMA

This probably is the most isolated and inaccessible place in the list. This is a huge mountain in the border of Venezuela and Brazil. Is considered a natural landmark of South America too. Was inspiration to the movie “Up” in 2009.

monte_roraima_alo_Alo_Bahia.jpg

6596014071_a957d17dcf_z.jpg

9 – PANTANAL

It’s the world's largest tropical wetland, is considered like the 2nd “amazon rain forest” of Brazil, in the border of two others South American countries: Paraguay and Bolivia.

pacote-turistico-para-o-pantanal-horseba%EF%BC%91%EF%BC%92.jpg

10 – CHAPA DIAMANTINA

Chapada Diamantina is a huge region in Bahia State, now is a huge park around important cities of the colonization time. Actually the cities of the Chapada Diamantina have around 400 thousand people.

640px-Chapada_diamantina..jpg

Cachoeira%2Bda%2BFumacinha.jpg

• Like 1

/\ A lot of those are too far out and remote to have any 'in-the-moment' significance. Aside from providing 'photo opps,' there is very little 'marketing' value to take the Torch Relay to such remote spots. Remember, the point of a Torch Relay...and which is why the IOC allows the sponsors to attach their names openly to the Relay is to get the populace excited for the upcoming Games -- which is why they run it in the cities and towns...where there are people -- NOT in the remote jungles where you only have the birds, the snakes and the crocs to see it -- and where Coke and Samsung and whatever Brazilian bank is a co-sponsor will waste their money.

Remember, there are at least 2 dozen vehicles and maybe 20-30 people in the support caravan; not counting the press who cover each leg. You don't want such a rowdy party disturbing areas which should remain pristine. Not to mention that you have to pre-position the runners (maybe every 500 yards each or whatever) -- so you have to bring all those people to those remote areas to create a "chain run" and then return the runners to where they came from.

The Relay will be pretty much planned around population centers -- and a few remote, historic spots to create some sort of 'first-time-here' records. Creating and running an efficient Olympic torch relay is NOT for the feint of heart. It is very complicated and planners put in 24-hour days to get the run right.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

What You Said really makes sense Baron-pierre. But the director of the Rio-2016 committee Said that "Brazil has a large number of awesome places to receive the Olympic Torch, like the Amazon." This large number Certainly not just the amazon rain forest. I'm sure we will see the torch at the falls for example, that's a multinational landmark, this will Attract the attention of other South Americans countries and the world. Its only marketing.

You probably did not read what I wrote, most of these sites bordering other countries, or are very important to Brazilian history and are very visited by tourists. The São Francisco River for example through 10% of Brazilian cities, that are more than 500 cities!

The non inhabited places was not a problem in this relays for example: http://goo.gl/yod6vh, http://goo.gl/JSpLJx, http://goo.gl/5wj8Ba

/\ A lot of those are too far out and remote to have any 'in-the-moment' significance. Aside from providing 'photo opps,' there is very little 'marketing' value to take the Torch Relay to such remote spots. Remember, the point of a Torch Relay...and which is why the IOC allows the sponsors to attach their names openly to the Relay is to get the populace excited for the upcoming Games -- which is why they run it in the cities and towns...where there are people -- NOT in the remote jungles where you only have the birds, the snakes and the crocs to see it -- and where Coke and Samsung and whatever Brazilian bank is a co-sponsor will waste their money.

On the other hand, including such locations in speculation about the Torch route is a great excuse to show photos of some really fabulous scenery!

• Like 1

I checked the path of Pan American Torch Rio in 2007. He began the coast of discovery in Santa Cruz Cabralia, where the German team stayed in the world cup in 2014. Other places like as Fernando de Noronha and the Iguaçu Falls were also included.

0,,11066073-EX,00.jpg530806-3607-cp.jpg

Beautiful locations.... UGLY torch... I am sure the Olympic Torch will be better.

• Like 1

Good article in the British Media talking about the Serra Geral National Park, the 2nd place I have listed in my list of the TOP 10 NATURAL AND EXOTIC PLACES SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN THE ROUTE OF THE OLYMPIC TORCH.

The Guardian quotes the Serra do Rio Rastro as spectacular scenery from beginning to end

serra-do-rio-do-rastro-guto-kuerten-21-4

"A spectacular scenery from beginning to end." The setting is the Serra do Rio do Rastro, which again appears in an international article. This time it was the UK's best news agency, The Guardian, which put the SC saw among the ten roads in the world with stunning views and winding roads.

Source of the article.

Source of the list of The Guardian.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Fernando de Noronha must receive the Olympic Torch Rio 2016

8071651221_cf61327710_b.jpg

The torch of the 2016 Olympics must go through Fernando de Noronha. The cauldron, which symbolizes the Games, will tour 250 locations throughout Brazil and the island is in the script. The information was given by journalist Renato Ribeiro, one of the coordinators of the Olympics on TV Globo, during the Fair Events and Projects held in São Paulo on Wednesday (17). "Noronha is rather on the script of the organizers and this information should be officially announced in the coming days, when the Olympic Committee to inform the programming of the torch," said Renato Ribeiro to live blog Noronha, who attended the event. The island also received the torch of the Pan American Games in 2007.

It's just a piece of it, probably the least revealing. And, well, they better not put much brazilian diversity into it, otherwise it can get too Carmen Miranda. This seems to be the upper part, close to the burner and usually vulnerable to effects of the combustion. Because of this, pigments and other decorative materials are usually by the 'handle' of the torch, like Sochi, Athens, the wood of the Glasgow baton, etc.

Hmmm? The preview so far looks a bit too simplistic. It kinda reminds me of the London 2012 torch if anything. I hope the design we'll see this thursday is appealing and less busy than what we got in Sochi btw

"Feast of the Olympic torch is delayed: Dilma wants to hold it first

2015_827452839-20150623135101520ap.jpg_2

Scheduled for Thursday (day 2) at the Jockey Club in Rio, the launch party of the Olympic torch was postponed to the next night (day 3), in the same place.

The Organizing Committee of the Rio 2016 Games caters to a request from President Dilma Rousseff, who arrives late on the United States Tuesday. She wants to pose with the greatest Olympic symbol in Brasilia, before it is presented to the public.

The presentation of the torch is part of the "positive agenda" Dilma before and during the Games. The party, in principle, will have 400 guests, including celebrities, sports heroes and former Olympic champions.

The official announcement of the submission date of the change will still be made on Tuesday."