2020 Applicant files - Let's share the links...

SwissO

And if the IOC has made some concessions to considering Doha, I don't see why Istanbul cannot easily make the grade. They made the Short List for 2000, all of a sudden, they would not?

well, that was for 2008 actually (for 2000, the shortlist process did not exist. So everyone bidding made it to the voting table). N yet for 2012, Istanbul was strangely enough, not good enough anymore. But considering that there are really only 3 credible options on the 2020 roster, and with a better plan than in the past, I can not see Istanbul not making the shortlist this time around.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still no link to the Baku mini bid book, but apparently Around The Rings got it :

Baku Highlights Desire for Global Profile

Baku 2020 stresses in its Applicant File to bid for the 2020 Olympics that the Games would put Baku “on the world map.”

Saying that “neither Azerbaijan nor Baku are as well known or understood as they should be,” Baku claims hosting the Games would create “another ‘Barcelona’”. The 1992 Olympics were seen as transformational for the Spanish city.

In the 121-page document, Baku notes the Olympics neatly align with the city’s transformation and vision for the future.

Plus, Baku says the Azeri economy is “one of the most robust economies in the world.”

Twenty-six venues would be used for the Games. Of those, 11 currently exist, with four of the remaining venues already planned. Baku would need to build an Olympic Stadium and Olympic Village, both of which are already planned.

While no exact figure for the OCOG budget is listed, the document notes “the majority of the OCOG budget will be publically funded”, with the balance coming from the IOC, TOP Sponsor contributions and marketing revenues. Baku estimates revenues of $792 million. The bid estimates a total budget of $52 million for the duration of the contest.

No public support data is listed in the Applicant File.

Baku’s website is http://www.baku2020.com/

Baku's case doesn't sound compelling in the least. All they seem to talk about is what the Olympics can do for them, N not so much what Baku & Azerbaijan can do for the Olympics. That doesn't get you too many votes.

And no figures for the OCOG budget mentioned in the application files?? Don't they think that the IOC would at least like to know an important aspect such as that one?! :blink: Hasn't the IOC just tossed out vague application files before. I can see that's where their questionaire documents are headed. Right in the trash bin.

Baku's case doesn't sound compelling in the least. All they seem to talk about is what the Olympics can do for them, N not so much what Baku & Azerbaijan can do for the Olympics. That doesn't get you too many votes.

And no figures for the OCOG budget mentioned in the application files?? Don't they think that the IOC would at least like to know an important aspect such as that one?! :blink: Hasn't the IOC just tossed out vague application files before. I can see that's where their questionaire documents are headed. Right in the trash bin.

I can't wait to see it... because, yes, this summary is strange... it sounds like they did not answer properly to some key points !!!

No OCOG figure is requested in phase 1, only domestic revenue potential. None of the 5 applicant cities file contains any OCOG budget....

Sorry but "domestic revenues" are OCOG figures !!!!

With them you can assume the overall OCOG budget by adding the TV rights & TOP sponsorship (using for example the ones received by London 2012)....

Thanks for the lecture I know that.

What I meant was that no OCOG budget was requested in phase 1... one of the reason being that the IOC hasn't provided the applicant cities with the amount they will get from the IOC Contribution (taken from TV Rights) + share of TOP sponsorships.

Point is: Baku's applicant file contains OCOG domestic revenue targets like the other 4.

I just like the way no one reacted about the Tokyo and the Madrid bid questionnaire not containing any OCOG budget either...

Thanks for the lecture I know that.

What I meant was that no OCOG budget was requested in phase 1... one of the reason being that the IOC hasn't provided the applicant cities with the amount they will get from the IOC Contribution (taken from TV Rights) + share of TOP sponsorships.

Point is: Baku's applicant file contains OCOG domestic revenue targets like the other 4.

I just like the way no one reacted about the Tokyo and the Madrid bid questionnaire not containing any OCOG budget either...

Sorry, but apparently you have some problem of 'lecture'... as none of use or even ATR is speaking about a missing OCOG budgets... but we are questionning those OCOG figures !!!!

And none of us are reacting yet to Tokyo or Madrid as we have been able to see what they wrote in their published applicant file....

We are just wanting to see the one from Baku (and the 2 other) and we are just questionning ourself based on the ATR's report !

Why did Baku hiding its mini bid book ???? When they said it is published on their website.....

And don't worry, once all applicant files published, i will do an overall comment on their financial answers ;)

Uhmmm...partially wrong. The IOC Executive Board meeting in Quebec coincides with SportAccord, the biggest Sports-Business Convention in the world. So it's NOT exactly a "private" function. (I thought I was going to attend to promote my book, but the costs are a little high.) And if the IOC has made some concessions to considering Doha, I don't see why Istanbul cannot easily make the grade. They made the Short List for 2000, all of a sudden, they would not?

Istanbul's unveiling of their logo at SportAccord is very appropriate. It's last big important IOC inner circle meeting before the entire body meets in London before the Games. (Why are you so impatient on these things, LD? It's not like they're jumping to your beat, anyway.)

What I meant was that Istanbul would most likely have it's own function away from the formalities and official stuff to unveil it's bid logo.

As for the shortlist in 2000, well it failed in 2004 and 2012, imagine if the bid was still weak, it would fail again, so it would be a sort of waste to unveil a bid logo a few days before you're eliminated. I don't think it's appropriate, since they're essentially the last bid team to reveal any logo of sorts. Even if a logo is not a real deciding factor, they really should have promoted it much earlier and revealing it late shows how "slow" the bid team can be.

Baku is supposed to have it on its website since several days...

And no idea with Istanbul...

Yeah, but we can't find in on the baku's website, while istanbul ? They really not take this chance seriously, I'm really disappointed by istanbul, the way they prepare for this race, they way they are not releasing the logo yet, their website also eem very unprofessional, they submit the bid on the very last second, etc, istanbul, if you are not serious in this race, better to to spend your money on the else maybe 2020 EURO or world expo :)

http://www.madrid202.../02/q_m2020.pdf

http://www.tokyo2020...cant/index.html

The first one is Madrid's and the second one is of Tokyo. These are my two favourites for this race. So Doha and Baku will be the following days and Istanbul's bid looks really unprofessional. They're website can't be seen serious - still no logo and many data missing.

I can't wait to see it... because, yes, this summary is strange... it sounds like they did not answer properly to some key points !!!

So regarding the Baku's applicant file, it's not as worst as expected !!!

On the budget side, everything is almost there. Just strange to not have evaluated the public subsidies... So partial answer on that !

So through that we have no idea of their actual evaluation of their OCOG budget....

Archived