Singer Whitney Houston dies at 48

cormiermax

Singer Whitney Houston dies at 48

(AP)

LOS ANGELES - Whitney Houston, who ruled as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, erratic behavior and a tumultuous marriage to singer Bobby Brown, has died. She was 48. More here:

A sad loss for the world of music. She certainly was something special when she was still young and unharmed by those damned drugs. But I have to say: Just like Amy Winehouse's death last year, I somewhat saw this coming (and probably not only me). It's still tragic that some people in show business just can't handle their talent or their lives in general and resort to drugs.

By the way: Whitney Houston's cousin Dionne Warwick performed "That's What Friends Are For" just a week ago in a German award ceremony, the Goldene Kamera. She looked so dazzling and happy. So sad to imagine how she must feel now.

So, to remember the time when Whitney Houston was young and a dazzling artist herself, here's a performance of her on the Tonight Show (with guest host Joan Rivers) in 1986. The quality is not the best, but I find Joan River's reaction so indicative for the musical quality of Whitney Houston:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2DlbJJeg9E

Actually, here's a singer who was also taken us when she was so young, LENA ZAVARONI!! She died from anorexia complications.

Here she is doing one of my favorite numbers: Roses and Rainbows!! (I didn't exactly get to appreciate her when she was still alive.)

There are many other clips when she was like an 8- 9-year old singer. Really darling. I really love her in this one, especially the 2nd half. She was such a firecracker!!

So, Whitney -- altho 48, makes 3 of the best and brightest so far taken in the last 2 years: Jocko, Amy W., now Whitney! The Olympic flames seem to burn brighter and longer than theirs. Who's next?

Love you Whitney... :(

Hot body in the 1980's!

Drugs!!!...I'm sure it was the theme song from The Bodyguard 'I Will Always Love You' that actually did her in...It was the true pinnical of her talent. She could never top it after...and the expectation to perform the number to perfection everytime must have really done her head in!!!

The CBS show, "60 Minutes" had a story last night on Adele's return to performing. She can sing, she grooms herself very well and cleanly(i.e., no grunge) -- but her singing is BORING. Her recent songs are all sung on the UPPER register. I think she just alternates between 3 or 4 notes of the high "C" octave. Her melodies have very little variety or impressive originality.

I f*cking got tired of hearing that I WILL ALWAYS LUV U song. It really was so repetitious.

Tend to agree with you on this one. She undoubtedly had a good, strong voice with an amazing range but If anyone can 'oversing' a song then Whitney certainly did so with that one IMO. I found it grated on my nerves after hearing it being belted out here, there and everywhere for the umpteenth time. I guess I'll have to steel myself all over again now in the next few days and weeks!

Much preferred the original version by Dolly Parton, the song's composer.

Curious how often famous people have been found dead in the bath.

In addition to Whitney, Jim Morrison, Mama Cass Elliot and Christina Onassis were also found dead while lying in the bathtub!

Many others have been found dead or dying in the bathroom of course: King George II of Britain, Catherine the Great, Judy Garland, Elvis Presley, Sunny von Bulow etc.

They can be dangerous places, baths and bathrooms! :unsure:

Sad news, a great musical talent no doubt. Although thinking about it, she did have a very sad later life. i think she still had the voice in her soul, but the body would not sing it, because of the abuse. Whether she knew this and decided to end it or her death was an accident.

Baron, i totally agree with you about Lena. Being Scottish, i know a bit about her and her career and she is still celebrted back home. Yet another great talent lost to a sad illness and problems.

When you think of Lena, Karen, Amy, MJ, and now Whitney, it just reiterates the fact that money and fame does not equal happiness.

T least we still have greats such as Cher, Dolly, Tina, Madonna and Celine who are mega famous but seem to be able to control it.

I think you have it right there. For me, Leona is the only other female vocalist that just seems to have that something extra. She will never be a Whitney but she does give me goosebumps when she is on form. One of my other favourite female vocalists is Dusty Springfield. She may not have the range of Whitney and Leona but there is a tone to her voice I just love. I also loved Amy Winehouse's voice.

Archived