Diamond jubilee

Sir Rols

Yeah, I don't think it will be part of the package.  The Games will be planned around the IOC's rules, not the Queen's.  And besides, if something should happen to HRH before 2012, there won't be a celebration for the Queen.  I think it will just be a nice topper for her Jubilee to open the Olympics in London and cheer on British athletes in the stadium.

it was the queen's golden jubilee in 2002 and that didn't impact on the commonwealth games on manchester - the celebrations were independent of it and were held in june (if i remember correctly). so i would imagine that if HRH is still alive in 2012 the same will be true!

While the Games will be mainly about and organised around sport and the wishes of the IOC, I am sure that the diamond jubillee will be celebrated in some way in the opening and closing ceremonies. The golden jubillee was at the centre of the closing ceremony in M2002 with the picture of the queen that was painted in the stadium by the kids.

Who knows...perhaps the queen's grandaughter, Zara Philips, will get to light the couldron...she's likely to be in the british equestrian team?

I am pretty sure that the Queens Diamond Jubilee will not form a big part of the London games. There will no doubt be a minor reference to it in the Opening Ceremonies but I doubt that it will be on the same lines as the Commonwealth Games ceremonies where an enitre segment was devoted to celebrating the Queens Golden Jubilee. After all, the anniversary in 2002 was also for the Queen being head of the Commonwealth aswell as being head of state in the UK. In that case, the Commonwealth Games was always going to be used to mark the occasion. The Olympics are a very different kettle of fish.

Whilst I don't expect LOCOG to organise a celebration of the Jubilee in, let's say, the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, there was a big mention of an Olympic Carnival inbetween the Olympic and Paralympic Games.  During the last Jublilee I remember a massive carnival which not only had people from all around the Commonwealth taking part, but also other countries as well, e.g. Brazil.  I do wonder if some similar  joint celebration will take place at that time with people from the Commonwealth and from other countries taking part in the

Olympic Games...

It was just a thought anyway as the last Carnival was such a success and they have said they will do one for the

Olympics, I am not sure they would want to put on 2 carnivals in the same year?

if liz is still around, it probably with be a minor thing - like naming the stadium Diamond Park or something like that :D

i doubt it - it has taken so long to get the olympics back to the UK so it would only be natural that the park will be called "olympic park" and the stadium "olympic stadium" - it carries a certain kudos and prestige!

the minor new stadiums - velodrome - swimming pool etc i reckon will be named after past olympians? as this will all form part of the olympic institute after the games are gone.

It will be a token gesture of some relevance - the Diamond Jubillee will be formerly acknowledge a couple of months before the London Olympics.

The best thing about the Golden Jubillee - WE ALL GOT AN EXTRA DAY OFF WORK!!!! :)

I expect the Queen will present Zara Philips with her Gold Medal though ;) or maybe her mummy Princess Anne will. :)

As hector has said...the Queen's diamond jubille is not a "minor event" for the British....there has only ever been 1 diamond jubilee every in history, Queen Victoria.

I think that the Olympics will make more than a passing reference to it. Obviously the Olympics are an international event, but while the jubille mainly has relevance to Britian and by then a few other Commonwealth countires....to not celebrate it would be like Australia hosting the Olympics on its Bicentennial and making no reference to it at all.

I know people may have strong views about this and may think its a wee bit inward looking, but I personally think it would be ludacrous to ignore the fact that our Queen has been on the throne for 60 years...longer than most if not all other heads of state in the world. The queen is well known in the world at large and could be described as an "international figure" and as such I don't think its too wierd to celebrate her jubille at the 2012 olympics.....she's part of our culture if nothing else. France and the US had their revolutions....we have our queen and monarchy...our country has been shaped by the monarchy throughout history.

Only 1 Diamond Jubilee so far, huh? Man, if QEII manages that, I would love to see how it is celebrated. Of course, it will be much different from when Victoria got her Diamond Jubilee. By the way, Queen Victoria's reign was the longest one, too, right?

Archived