National Stadium(1964 Olympic Stadium)

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very wise of you. For a start, if you examine the plans carefully, it become apparent that the running tracks in both designs have inside lanes 400 metres long !

I went to Tokyo today and here are some photos.

Very happy to enter the field . Some kissed on the grass and I heard many people never knew the smell of the grass is so fresh. I'll be able to enter the New stadium in 2019 if I apply by the

I have an opportunity to go near the stadium next month so I'll try to check the site,where the HELMET is scheduled to land within 7 years :lol: .

But what will you check? There's nothing there right now. It's the ENORMITY of that horrible Hadid design that frightens most people with a vision. It's really a poor choice of design.

But what will you check? There's nothing there right now. It's the ENORMITY of that horrible Hadid design that frightens most people with a vision. It's really a poor choice of design.

I know that there's nothing yet. Just to check around the current stadium and how large the site is. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Tokyo sports officials concede, shrink 2020 Olympics stadium

After weeks of standing down to criticism that the 2020 Olympicsstadium set to be built in Tokyo needs to be scaled down, the Japan Sports Council (JSC) announced on Tuesday that they will be reducing the size by one-quarter to just 220,000 square meters. The stadium that was designed by London-based Iraqi architect Zaha Hadid had been receiving a barrage of complaints from architects, environmentalists and residents.

The announcement that the stadium will be reduced will also cut on the construction costs by 180 billion yen ($1.8 billion), a far cry from the original 300 billion yen for the bigger venue, but these are just estimates from Japanese media. There has been no official word yet on how much will be the revised cost estimate. The JSC official however emphasized that they will still be using the Hadid design and that the height estimate, which is currently at 70 meters. The JSC also said that the reduced size will still meet the requirements of the International Olympic Committee, which includes seating for 80,000 people, a retractable roof and movable seats that can be adjusted to different sporting events.

JSC president Ichiro Kono said they made the decision after taking into consideration the criticisms of architects like Fumihiko Maki and other high-profile personalities. Maki is one of the designers for the new towers in the World Trade Center in New York. One of the main points of argument over the proposed stadium is that with its height, it will tower over all the other structures in the area because they are limited to 15-meters only. But if as the JSC said the height will remain the same, it will still make the structure visible all over the west of Tokyo. The stadium will be replacing the current 54,000-seat national stadium which was the centerpiece of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.

http://japandailypress.com/tokyo-sports-officials-concede-shrink-2020-olympics-stadium-2640151/

MSN Sankei news(MSN産経ニュース) 2013.11.26

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/news/131126/oth13112607520001-n1.htm

Some of you might already have seen this photo of Zaha's stadium.But this one is high quality and rather realistic.

*The picture is the stadium of full size and without reduction.You can enlarge it by clicking on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Today I went to see the place finally. Little bit cold in Tokyo. As soon as I arrived at the stadium,I suddenly had waist pains..so I couldn't walk around the stadium.

753B50CF019_R_zps6002f814.jpg

753B50CF021_R_zps1908e89f.jpg

753B50CF022_R_zpsf8525b87.jpg

753B50CF024_R_zps710f11c6.jpg

The place is quiet for the central part of the capital;surrounded by so many greens and I didn't mind the sounds of cars,trucks and bikes.This might be because today(12/23) was national holiday.But the thing is next to the stadium there's a prestigious hospital.What happens when fireworks are set off in opening & closing ceremony.Anyway,if anyone of you came to the place in 2020,you'll probably like this place.

• Like 2

SOYOSHI! Doesn't look like it's in the best nick, but that'll change (The stadium, that is. Soyoshi's fine :lol:) Why is today a national holiday Palette?

It's lovely nickname for him. As gotosy replied,it was Emperor's birthday yesterday.

http://stadiumdb.com/news/2013/12/tokyo_1964_olympic_cauldron_to_be_preserved - Tokyo 1964 Olympic Cauldron to be retained and placed at New National Stadium as a Secondary Cauldron for display.

Inside of the National Stadium,Tokyo. I went to the stadium just yesterday to watch the opening ceremony of 92rd high school football and a first match of the tournament.

753B50CF112_R_zps2677d2cd.jpg

753B50CF107_R_zpsa105a780.jpg

753B50CF168_R_zps4b0d5c78.jpg

You see cauldron.

753B50CF181_R_zpsce200592.jpg

Ah,Mt. Fuji.

753B50CF103_R_zps3080a71f.jpg

The sky was so blue. We can see 5 rings drawn in this sky again?Or not?

753B50CF119_R_zpsb2c2f016.jpg

753B50CF172_R_zps962654e1.jpg

I felt the stadium is pretty small and very old more than I thought.My chair wans't comfortable... :D

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

http://stadiumdb.com/news/2013/12/tokyo_1964_olympic_cauldron_to_be_preserved - Tokyo 1964 Olympic Cauldron to be retained and placed at New National Stadium as a Secondary Cauldron for display.

Tony,you've answered to your question already. I do not hear further about that later.

Tony,you've answered to your question already. I do not hear further about that later.

Not the cauldron. Is the Stadium being demolished SOON?