yukke14

National Stadium(1964 Olympic Stadium)

Some very lovely designs (and some so-so ones). Too many to properly rank for me.

And I suppose the good thing is that unlike most of the new ones that get proposed in Oly bid books, one of these WILL get built for the 2019 Rugby WC. Again, another big plus for Tokyo's 2020 bid IMO.

• Like 1

some interesting images...

at 2019 Rugby World Cup (entry 35 GER)

entry35.png

Hmmm, that video roof would definitely make a great appearance during the ceremonies...

Some very lovely designs (and some so-so ones). Too many to properly rank for me.

And I suppose the good thing is that unlike most of the new ones that get proposed in Oly bid books, one of these WILL get built for the 2019 Rugby WC. Again, another big plus for Tokyo's 2020 bid IMO.

Yep, best of both worlds.

They get to show the IOC a shiny new render (they bloody love those don't they?) AND are in position where they can say it'll definitely be ready a year before their party.

Where's the catch? There isn't one!

Magic.

Entry No. 17

Zaha Hadid Architects

Zaha Hadid (GBR)

finalist_work_4_img.jpg

I like this comment in SSC about Zaha Hadid's style: is it me or is Zaha hadid just becoming a predictable architect, same response to everything, overtly extravagant, no realization of cost, wasteful design. The other schemes are far better in my opinion and more innovative.

My added comment: It's like a Star Wars set design -- very unJapanese.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Entry No.26

DORELL.GHOTMEH.TANE/ ARCHITECTS & A+ARCHITECTURE

Tsuyoshi Tane (FRA)

finalist_work_6_img.jpg

Interesting design , I would like to see stadium like this become a reality somewhere

but I don't think they will choose it

• Like 1

Interesting design , I would like to see stadium like this become a reality somewhere

but I don't think they will choose it

That's ugly! Not the kind of design that excites the IOC'ers. They like grand stuff...none of these innovative stuff.

12, 24 :rolleyes: In that order... As matter of fact, I dislike all designs made by Japanesse companies :lol:

2, 24 :rolleyes: In that order... As matter of fact, I dislike all designs made by Japanesse companies :lol:

I like this comment in SSC about Zaha Hadid's style: is it me or is Zaha hadid just becoming a predictable architect, same response to everything, overtly extravagant, no realization of cost, wasteful design. The other schemes are far better in my opinion and more innovative.

My added comment: It's like a Star Wars set design -- very unJapanese.

Perhaps to all of the above. It is quite attractive, though -- and memorable.

I'm not sure I'd say un-Japanese, though. Perhaps not typically Japanese from a western sensibility, but who really cares? If 21st century Japanese people like it, that's what matters. It does have the simple, elegant sweep one sees in Japanese textiles and painting.

There are those who say the bid logo is un-Japanese, but I think it merely doesn't conform to trite western ideas of the Japanese aesthetic.

That's ugly! Not the kind of design that excites the IOC'ers. They like grand stuff...none of these innovative stuff.

How do you know? I think this is a fascinating idea -- very unique. The IOC wants to be distinctive. What about a fully landscaped roof isn't grand? Its a great way to maximize public green area in a densely developed metropolis. It seems by far the most original idea.

I agree, however, that it probably won't be chosen. People are usually afraid to be daring.

Zaha Hadid to reform the Tokyo stadium that could host the 2020 olympics

Tokyo, Nov 15 (EFE). - The project of the Anglo-Iraqi Zaha Hadid was elected to reform the Tokyo Olympic Stadium, which would host the main evidence in case the Japanese capital proves chosen to host the Olympic Games in 2020, informed Efe office of Tokyo's bid.

The jury appointed by the Sports Council of Japan (JSC), owner of the premises, and chaired by the Japanese architect Tadao Ando chosen as the winning team's proposal Hadid, who won eleven other projects signed by other illustrious names such as Toyo Ito or duo SANAA.

It is expected that the reform of the new stadium, a grandiose structure and dynamics in nuclear black retractable roof and a capacity of 80,000 people, with a cost of 130,000 million yen (1,261 million euros) and this ended in 2018, so that it can accommodate Rugby World Cup matches in Japan in 2019.

The architect team, winner of the 2004 Pritzker Prize, a prize will also receive 20 million yen (about 195,000 euros), while the Australian study Architecture Cox, whose project has been runner will receive 7 million yen (about 67,900 euros).

SANAA's proposal, led by Japanese architects Kazuyo Sejima and Ryue Nishizawa, and Nikken Sekkei, Tokyo Tower authors Skytree, took third place, which means a prize of 3 million yen (29,000 euros).

EFE (in spanish)

• Like 1

Zaha Hadid to reform the Tokyo stadium that could host the 2020 olympics

Tokyo, Nov 15 (EFE). - The project of the Anglo-Iraqi Zaha Hadid was elected to reform the Tokyo Olympic Stadium, which would host the main evidence in case the Japanese capital proves chosen to host the Olympic Games in 2020, informed Efe office of Tokyo's bid.

The jury appointed by the Sports Council of Japan (JSC), owner of the premises, and chaired by the Japanese architect Tadao Ando chosen as the winning team's proposal Hadid, who won eleven other projects signed by other illustrious names such as Toyo Ito or duo SANAA.

It is expected that the reform of the new stadium, a grandiose structure and dynamics in nuclear black retractable roof and a capacity of 80,000 people, with a cost of 130,000 million yen (1,261 million euros) and this ended in 2018, so that it can accommodate Rugby World Cup matches in Japan in 2019.

The architect team, winner of the 2004 Pritzker Prize, a prize will also receive 20 million yen (about 195,000 euros), while the Australian study Architecture Cox, whose project has been runner will receive 7 million yen (about 67,900 euros).

SANAA's proposal, led by Japanese architects Kazuyo Sejima and Ryue Nishizawa, and Nikken Sekkei, Tokyo Tower authors Skytree, took third place, which means a prize of 3 million yen (29,000 euros).

EFE (in spanish)

That was a quick decision!

But wow, what a centrepiece that will be! This bid is looking stronger and stronger each day.

Edited by RobH

It was a quick decision. Hers was one of my top three. Glad they chose it. Spectacular.

Actually, I just looked back at my previous posts and I wrote that Hadid's proposal was my favorite. I guess the Japanese and I are on the same page!

I bet the Olympic bid was part of the reason for the quick decision. They're probably trying to build an insurmountable lead. I'm betting its working.

Spectacular choice. Glad they have choosen this firm to make the renovations. Now that I look at it, it reminds me a bit of the Oita's stadium in Japana aka The Eye.

Without doubt the best stadia of the three bids. And even if they don't get the games, we'll see this happen anyway because of the Rugby World Cup.

I hope this will be better realize than some past designs by her. The muscular and sinewy shell will never be that light looking and I doubt the horizontal balcony will be realized, and the tail fin platform thing looks ambitious, can it work?

And isn't this style sort of dated looking? I guess a gigantic display is always interesting no matter the era. This should have been in London, with the aquatic Ctr next door.

WHHHAAAAAAAATTTTTTT? :blink: What materials are they going to use? The only thing missing from that ridiculous design is a little alien baby bursting from the heart of the thing. Horrid and design makes no sense at all.

Here's her other recently designed major work at Michigan State U - a museum.

http://broadmuseum.msu.edu/about

Quite ugly as well.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Wow, that was a quick decision!

And I do like the chosen design ... though there were quite a few of those finalists I also would have been really happy with.

Another really good step in Tokyo's 2020 campaign ... I gotta say, so far it's been about as close to a textbook campaign of what a city should do as it can get. Even the way they've been addressing their biggest prob - local support - has been transparent and proactive.

I think I've now move moved beyond merely expecting them to win, to thinking they really deserve to win compared to the opposition campaigning.

This should have been in London, with the aquatic Ctr next door.

Yeah, that would've been a good fit!

But then, knowing Olympic voting history, the "favorite" going in, always gets surprised. :D

Honestly, though, I really think the campaigns so far by Madrid and Istanbul have been lacklustre at best. Pity, I would have been gung ho for Istanbul otherwise.

I quite liked Zaha Hadid's design of London's Aquatic Centre, but I don't like the design for Tokyo's National Stadium at all.

It looks massive, it looks oppressive, it looks extremely lavish for times of economical austerity like this. It looks like a mix of Oita's, Durban's and Athens' World Cup respectively Olympic Stadia.

I'm also clueless why some renders have that big arch above the stadium, while other renders show a blue clear sky without that arch from inside the stadium. Not to forget that that design again makes it difficult to place a cauldron somewhere on the roof.

The Asians seem to like stadia with such massive and oppressive roofs, but I would have definitely preferred something much lighter and elegant for that classic and merited stadium.

"Despite Japan's staggering national debt, the stadium is set to become the world's most expensive venue at current exchange rates. Assuming a construction budget of 130bn yen ($1.62bn/£1.02bn) is fully utilised, it will surpass the $1.6bn paid for the New Meadowlands Stadium, home of both the New York Giants and New York Jets."

Whatever you think of it aethetically, this is one hell of a statement of intent from Tokyo.

How will this stadium work though in Olympic mode - and what legacy does it offer the IOC?

1. Firstly, is the existing seating bowl going to be utilised at all or is this a complete rebuild?

2, How will the configuration of the stadium work - is the athletics track a permanent feature, covered by retractable seating, or some kind of temporary platform solution?

Becuase whilst the wow factor is not to be overlooked, I'd like to know how it stacks up as a venue compared with Madrid's and Istanbul's proposals.

So this isn't going to be a "glossy bid phase rendering, more practical stadium built later" situation ala London? This design would actually get built in Tokyo?