National Stadium(1964 Olympic Stadium)

yukke14

27 minutes ago, olympiaki-agones said:

I'm disappointed! When Tokyo beat Istanbul, my expectations were focus on the main Olympic Stadium. The look of this stadium is totally grey and dull.

The trees and eco design in general look rather cool to me. In a city like Tokyo which is such an urban jungle, the trees almost stand out, which is their way of making the stadium unique. It also gets them Brownie Points on the international radar having an eco-looking stadium. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, yoshi said:

Wow. Sure they won't be ready for the rugby?

Yeah, i'm starting to think it was a very dumb decision to remove Tokyo as one of the host cities. Then again I think it was a matter of culture, preferring to not make promises they couldn't keep and fearing any unexpected event would bring up delays to the stadium construction. A shame though, it would had been cool to see this stadium in action already next year for the RWC. 

Not this fast though, it's been astonishing how quickly this has gone up. The bowl has gone up in around 10 months - that's twice as fast as comparable stadiums. Amazing work from the Japanese.

The World Cup isn't until September in 2019. I agree with Ikarus and yoshi, I can't see this not being ready by then and I wonder if they regret dropping the venue.

Just as a comparison, here's my club's new stadium - more or less on schedule, and due to open August this year:

DWOd9FlWsAA01n3.jpg

Edited by Rob.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, yoshi said:

That thing is gonna be ready in time for the Rugby World Cup isn’t it - is it too late to change the schedule back?

Depends how far the internals are done; things like wiring, plumbing, safety systems etc. There's a stadium in north London that looks finished but can't open yet, for example. :(

Really not liking that dirty looking seating pattern. Who decided that looked ok?

• 2 months later...

Anyone else think it's pretty early to be installing seats in the stadium and completing the bathrooms? Isn't that usually something that is done just a couple of months before its first use? 

It's looking great though! I hope if it's completed well before the rugby world cup that the matches can move back to this stadium!

• 2 weeks later...