National Stadium(1964 Olympic Stadium)

yukke14

I really like the minimalism. It is very much a functional, bare bones design - however the inbuilt greenery adds that little touch of interest. I'm curious about whether or not the Games 'look' will work though. I'm hoping they find a way to integrate the greenery inside the stadium as well.

Now - they need to start building the bloody thing!

Beautiful stadium. They really nailed it with this design. If only this was the one they picked first instead of that horrid Zaha Hadid abortion. Ugh. Now they need to get moving and build it already.

The inside of the stadium reminds me of Rome Stadio Olimpico a bit.

rome-olympic-stadium-stadio-olimpico_331

I really like the minimalism. It is very much a functional, bare bones design - however the inbuilt greenery adds that little touch of interest. I'm curious about whether or not the Games 'look' will work though. I'm hoping they find a way to integrate the greenery inside the stadium as well.

Now - they need to start building the bloody thing!

As minimalist and simple as it looks, it's amazing that the price tag doesn't reflect that lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2016 at 2:38 PM, phandrosis said:

Here's some photos of the 1/1000 scale model

sFrsYuq.jpg

M4DjodN.jpg

I don't missed anything with the design, but what's up with missing parts on the roof? All I've heard was that there was concern over the stadium burning down because of the cauldron. So are those missing panels from the roof for the cauldron? And do people really think that they'd build a whole stadium with the intention of putting in a flaming cauldron with flammable materials? I think I missed something.

2 hours ago, Nemo said:

I don't missed anything with the design, but what's up with missing parts on the roof? All I've heard was that there was concern over the stadium burning down because of the cauldron. So are those missing panels from the roof for the cauldron? And do people really think that they'd build a whole stadium with the intention of putting in a flaming cauldron with flammable materials? I think I missed something.

That part of the roof has always been part of the aesthetic of the design. It's meant to let light through since the roof itself is not translucent in any way as past Olympic Stadium roofs have been. I read an article recently that when the ceremony director is chosen in early 2018, Kengo Kuma will work with whoever that is to establish whether the constructors need to leave a part of the roof cut out or space under the stadium or whatever. The article also said that the requirement in the second bid said nothing about a cauldron, but when you look back to London and Beijing, neither of those stadiums were designed with the cauldron in mind, rather the idea for the cauldron came afterwards.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phandrosis said:

That part of the roof has always been part of the aesthetic of the design. It's meant to let light through since the roof itself is not translucent in any way as past Olympic Stadium roofs have been. I read an article recently that when the ceremony director is chosen in early 2018, Kengo Kuma will work with whoever that is to establish whether the constructors need to leave a part of the roof cut out or space under the stadium or whatever. The article also said that the requirement in the second bid said nothing about a cauldron, but when you look back to London and Beijing, neither of those stadiums were designed with the cauldron in mind, rather the idea for the cauldron came afterwards.

Good to know, much appreciated!  I just remember reading somewhere someone in Japan was worried the stadium would burn if it's made of wood. I though it was a dumb concern. Anyway, I'm sure who ever is selected to direct the OC will do a fantastic job with the stadium.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Japan approves $1.5b deal for new Tokyo Olympic stadium

TOKYO (AP) — The Japanese government approved a 150 billion yen ($1.5 billion) contract Friday to build a new main stadium for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, a project that has been delayed by more than a year.

Officials said the stadium construction would begin in December after an earlier plan was scrapped because of spiraling costs and an unpopular design.

The Japan Sport Council, a government-funded organization operating the project, said the stadium was scheduled for completion at the end of November 2019, still five months behind schedule. The delay forced a venue change for the Rugby World Cup that Japan is also hosting in 2019.

The cost of an earlier design by the late Iraqi-British architect Zaha Hadid had risen to 265 billion yen ($2.65 billion), more than twice the initial forecast.

The 150 billion ($1.5 billion) contract is just below the 155 billion ($1.55 billion) ceiling set this time for the contractors, a joint venture among Taisei Corp., Azusa Sekkei Co. and the office of Kengo Kuma, an architect who designed the new stadium.

Olympic Minister Tamayo Marukawa told reporters she would ensure steady progress of the construction.

Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike said she would closely monitor the expensive project that the city is also part-funding.

"For the burden we have to share, I will ensure it's utilized for the people of Tokyo, and raise my voice when necessary," she said.

A sports ministry panel is discussing how best the stadium can be used after the Tokyo Games.

The stadium delay is part of Japan's troubled preparations for the Olympics, underscoring a widespread lack of cost-control. The Japanese organizers have also faced a bribery scandal. They are now also bracing for a possible delay in the construction of roads linking the main Olympic venues near a new fish market project, which has been hit by a construction scandal and tainted underground water.

The Tokyo metropolitan government is currently reviewing the ballooning cost because of concern about its financial burden and the impact on Tokyo taxpayers.

The city-appointed panel of outside experts warned in a report Thursday that the total cost could exceed 3 trillion yen ($30 billion) without a drastic cost-cutting effort, and suggested using existing facilities instead of building new ones that could likely end up as white elephants.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2016/09/30/japan-oks-1-5-billion-contract-for-new-tokyo-stadium/91310566/

On 24/07/2016 at 2:29 AM, phandrosis said:

A very belated response from me: yes, second-guessing the stadium design requirements for Olympic Cauldrons has become impossible since it became fashionable to make the cauldron a big surprise (thanks Sydney). In London, they made sure that the roof could support something approaching Beijing's in scale (provided it was installed in the right place) but never considered that what would be really, really useful was a sort of window in the seating bowl which would allow a small low-sited cauldron to be seen from both inside and out ...

• 5 weeks later...

JSC unveiled the interior design for the New National Stadium

• VIP lounge of the new National Stadium. Use the shoji and the grid, representing the Japan-ness (JSC provided)
    VIP lounge of the new National Stadium. Use the shoji and the grid, representing the Japan-ness (JSC provided)
  • Connect the earth of Du and stand "Mori of stairs" (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
    Connect the earth of Du and stand "Mori of stairs" (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
  • Stadium and Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium (left) connects with a green "Green Bridge" (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
    Stadium and Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium (left) connects with a green "Green Bridge" (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
  • Connecting the city and the stadium "Daichi of stairs" (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
    Connecting the city and the stadium "Daichi of stairs" (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
  • Night also bright under the deck Square (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
    Night also bright under the deck Square (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
  • Play the memory of the old Shibuya River "road of babble". The outer garden west street side sidewalk, and precipitation increases, babble appears (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
    Play the memory of the old Shibuya River "road of babble". The outer garden west street side sidewalk, and precipitation increases, babble appears (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
  • Put the wind and the light in the concourse "wind of the terrace." Also Andon lighting feel Japan ness (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
    Put the wind and the light in the concourse "wind of the terrace." Also Andon lighting feel Japan ness (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
  • Available as an event space "garden of Information" (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
    Available as an event space "garden of Information" (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
  • VIP entrance that leads to the upper floor of the visitors in the "Origami ceiling" (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
    VIP entrance that leads to the upper floor of the visitors in the "Origami ceiling" (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
  • Ceiling greet visitors "VVIP" Entrance of the "Yamato-clad" (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
    Ceiling greet visitors "VVIP" Entrance of the "Yamato-clad" (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
  • Feel in Japan ness "bottom ceiling of Yamato-clad", "VVIP" lounge (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
    Feel in Japan ness "bottom ceiling of Yamato-clad", "VVIP" lounge (Taisei Corporation, Azusa design and Kengo Kuma & Associates JV created / JSC provided)
  • Like 1

The new National Stadium to become the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympic main venue, the Japan Sports Promotion Center (JSC) of the business entity is 28 days, it announced a new complete image Figure 11 points.

The concourse Paper lantern Paper lantern Or with the lighting, etc. or use the shoji and grating to the VIP lounge, it has been designed to appeal to the Japanese-ness.

The designer of the architect was a press conference at the JSC, Mr. Kengo Kuma spoke as being "advanced in feeling that you want to use the wood of the district of reconstruction", he revealed the intention to use the Great East Japan Earthquake of the affected areas of the wood. Same stadium that features the versatility of wood, the main construction work will start from December.

新国立競技場 新たな完成予想図を公開

10月28日 20時37分

2020年東京オリンピック・パラリンピックのメインスタジアムとなる新国立競技場について、競技場のデザインを担当する建築家の隈研吾さんが28日に記者会見し、日本の伝統技術をいかしたVIP専用の出入口など、新たな完成予想図を公開しました。

新国立競技場は、隈さんと大成建設などのグループが設計と施工を担当し、具体的な実施設計を来月末にまとめる予定です。

28日は、事業主体となる東京・港区の日本スポーツ振興センターで隈さんが記者会見して新たに11枚の完成予想図を公開しました。

完成予想図では、コンコースには日本らしさを感じさせる『あんどん』が照明として用いられているほか、VIP専用の出入口の天井に木の板を重ねて打ちつける「大和張り」(やまとばり)という日本の伝統技術が施されている様子などが描かれています。

隈さんは、「『大和張り』は、日本の緻密な技術を見せようと採用した。実施設計は大変な作業だが順調に進んでいて、技術提案書の時のイメージを実現できる完成予想図が描けているので、大変満足している」と話していました。

新国立競技場は、大会の前の年、2019年11月の完成を目指して、予定どおりことし12月上旬に本体工事が始まる予定だということです。

• 3 weeks later...