National Stadium(1964 Olympic Stadium)

yukke14

If you think about it, Madrid's Athletico Stadium that would have been their Olympic Stadium is going to be completed before Tokyo. They built Yoyogi in a year in a half back in 1964, so I think they can build the stadium in three.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=662282

15147053.jpg?1447948344

Yea according to the Madrid bid all of the permanent venues were going to be built regardless whether or not they would win the bid. The only problem is that the stadium that was supposed to be the athletics stadium is now going to be just a football/soccer stadium. So no track and field, and no way to reverse that right now I believe.

Also, that stadium has been under construction for a long time because I remember they were working on it during their bid back in 2013.

Nope.

Take a look at Barcelona's Sagrada Familia. It's been over 100 years and it's still not finished. They're focusing on completion by 2026, which is the 100-year anniversary of the designer Antoni Gaudi's death. It's averaging about 25 million euros to maintain the place and continue the construction. There's no telling the final cost of the damn thing, easily over 1 billion adjusted for inflation I'm sure. But it's the iconic building for Barcelona, and averages over 3 million visitors a year.

Tokyo's stadium might well compete with Sagrada Familia when it comes to completing it... :-)

• Like 1

Tokyo, central government reach deal on Olympic stadium cost

After months of dispute over the cost of the main stadium for the 2020 Olympics, the central and metropolitan governments reached a deal Tuesday in which Tokyo will shoulder ¥39.5 billion of the estimated ¥158.1 billion construction cost.

Following talks between Gov. Yoichi Masuzoe, Olympics minister Toshiaki Endo and sports and education minister Hiroshi Hase, Endo said the central government will foot half the bill for the new National Stadium and related construction work, and that it had asked Tokyo and the Japan Sport Council (JSC), which is overseeing the project, to cover the rest.

Masuzoe accepted the proposal, saying the figure was a result of marathon discussions between the metropolitan and central governments.

“As the governor of the city to host the Olympic competition in 2020, I would like to accept the budget plan,” Masuzoe said, adding that the stadium will remain a legacy of the event and bring long-term advantages for Tokyo residents.

In May, former sports and education minister Hakubun Shimomura asked the metropolitan government to pay about ¥50 billion of the estimated ¥150 billion needed to build the stadium under its original design.

Masuzoe angrily turned down the request and lashed out at the central government for mismanaging the project.

Two months later, the JSC revealed the stadium cost had ballooned to ¥252 billion from the initial ¥130 billion, and blamed difficulties in following the design blueprint proposed by British-Iraqi architect Zaha Hadid.

Amid the public backlash, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe days later pulled the plug on the project and ordered the design process to be restarted.

Shimomura stepped down as sports minister to take responsibility for the debacle, with Hase assuming the post in a Cabinet reshuffle in October.

Masuzoe said Tuesday the next step will be to get feedback on the cost from Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly members and residents.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/12/01/national/tokyo-central-government-reach-deal-olympic-stadium-cost/#.Vl1ggL_5Zz9

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20151211/k10010337761000.html

According to this article as I ran it through Google Translate, in two weeks we will receive the design proposals from the JSC. Coincidentally, that will be on Christmas. What a gift! If someone could read the article and try to translate is better than what google can do, it would be appreciated since there is something in there about the public voting on which design but I'm not 100% sure what they're talking about specifically.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20151211/k10010337761000.html

According to this article as I ran it through Google Translate, in two weeks we will receive the design proposals from the JSC. Coincidentally, that will be on Christmas. What a gift! If someone could read the article and try to translate is better than what google can do, it would be appreciated since there is something in there about the public voting on which design but I'm not 100% sure what they're talking about specifically.

Not in 14 days.Translation has been wrong. We will receive "technical proposals" on 14th,Dec. ;)

A is better externally, far more coherent than B and has easily recognisable Japanese ideas. The side on views remind me of the Luzhniki Stadium. B looks like the roof is from a different stadium to the rest of the structure. Don't really like it.

But A looks like it has a corporate ring all the way around the centre which will break up the atmosphere. I think I'd prefer to be inside B.

So yeah....can't decide.

I do like how A uses more wood, as to emulate the use of wood in a lot of old buildings in Japan (or anywhere, really). I didn't post all the photos I grabbed from the two proposals, but essentially B will have a sort of rainbow landscape-design wrap similar to London. Also, B has two tiers on one side and three on the other, blending seamlessly. If A had that instead of an entire separate second tier, I think I would be 100% on board.

A poll on twitter already has A at 60% vs B at 30%, so it seems like the people like A more. It does blend in much better than A into the environment, and when you think about how former Olympic Stadiums have represented some local landmark or culture (The Munich Mountains, the Seoul Vase, whatever the Bird's Nest was actually supposed to look like, even Sochi's was supposed to emulate the drift of snow or something), A does accomplish it much better than B. I just agree that the atmosphere inside of B in relation to the renders shown looks like it will feel better.