National Stadium(1964 Olympic Stadium)

yukke14

I'm actually glad the stadium is being scrapped it was a ridiculous design that didn't fit into the Japanese culture at all. Although it's upsetting to see Japan not delivering on its promises they presented to their winning bids for the Rugby World Cup and Summer Olympic Games.

And although it's cutting it close, but I think they can make the deadline for the Rugby World Cup. A stadium shouldn't have to take more than 3-4yrs to complete provided there are no major delays. If they manage to find a new design and get everything within 6 months before construction begins then they can still make the Rugby World Cup deadline.

Sep - Oct, 2015 : Formulation of the new construction plan and the international design competition open

Jan - Feb, 2016 : Design unveiled

Spr - May, 2020 : Completion

May- Jun, 2020 : Test event

very tight schedule.

• Like 1

I guess that this should serve as a precursor to the IOC to go with existing stadia that only needs some refurbishments (or a new stadium that's already well into the works). It's a shame, though, cuz Japan coulda handled this a bit better.

this is great news.

17-07-15 New National Stadium, Japan. Statement from Zaha Hadid Architects

“Our teams in Japan and the UK have been working hard with the Japan Sports Council to design a new National Stadium that would be ready to host the Rugby World Cup in 2019, the Tokyo 2020 Games and meet the need for a new home for Japanese sport for the next 50 to 100 years.

It is absolutely right that the benefits and costs of the new National Stadium should be clearly and accurately communicated and understood by the public and decision-makers in Japan and we hope that this is one of the objectives of the review announced by the Prime Minister.

We have used our experience on major sports and cultural projects, including the hugely successful London 2012 Games and legacy, to design a stadium that can be built cost-effectively and still deliver the flexible and robust National Stadium that the Japan Sports Council requires.

It is not the case that the recently reported cost increases are due to the design, which uses standard materials and techniques well within the capability of Japanese contractors and meets the budget set by the Japan Sports Council. The real challenge for the stadium has been agreeing an acceptable construction cost against the backdrop of steep annual increases in construction costs in Tokyo and a fixed deadline.”

..."that can be built cost effectively"....what a joke. This firm is sick.

Good news for Zaha Hadid haters (which seem to be many on this forum). I also didn't liked much the design, to be honest. I always thought it was too busy not mentioning it looked like a...er, forget it. :lol: Bad news is that they're going to have to rush as hell to get a new design. Part of me wants them to pick a japanese firm of architects instead of a foreign firm.

I'm getting worried, though. I expected better planification and organization from Japan. But they obviously are clueless of what to do.

I guess that this should serve as a precursor to the IOC to go with existing stadia that only needs some refurbishments (or a new stadium that's already well into the works).

DISAGREE! ;) Wouldn't have seen London 2012 if that was the criteria.

In any case, how could the IOC have forseen this one? A country with a good reputation when it comes to efficiency and construction, whose stadium was promised to be finished for a major event one year earlier. I don't think anyone expected this, did they?

DISAGREE! ;) Wouldn't have seen London 2012 if that was the criteria.

In any case, how could the IOC have forseen this one? A country with a good reputation when it comes to efficiency and construction, whose stadium was promised to be finished for a major event one year earlier. I don't think anyone expected this, did they?

I expected a delay from construction due to natural occurrences such as an earthquake, tsunami or typhoon, but definitely not because they had to scrap the whole plan altogether!

And I don't understand why they didn't go with a Japanese architect firm in the first place, since they'll be the one with some of the most experience on how to design and engineer a building that will be required to also be quake-proof.

fjmMafX.jpg

Is it this one?

Really??? We need to hire the likes of her to design a parking garage of all things??? Oh dear god Miami you are beyond ridiculous for this!

Miami is also annoyed at ZHA who's plans for a parking structure doubled from 25m when proposed to 50m. Hoping they scrap it too.

What?! Why the hell would you get an extravagant architect like Hadid to design a car park?! Sorry Miami, this one's on you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Rob.

I can only imagine is what's happening with Japan was happening with Brazil. If we (the Brazil) we gave up reform the Maracana in 2009 for the 2013 Confederations Cup would be the biggest fiasco, and we gave up on using the Maracanã in the Olympics would be a horror movie. Of course, because we are a country of 3rd world that has no ability to do anything where things always go wrong. Where is the Daily Mail and the whole nasty british media to talk about the great shame and lack of Japan's planning on the Tokyo Olympic Stadium now?

• Like 1

What took them so long? So glad to see the Zaha Hadid design dumped - she built a costly ugly bunker for the London Olympics which might look OK from the outside but looked horrid from the inside. I'm all for great architecture but her designs just aren't fit for purpose when it comes to the requirements of Olympic venues.

I can only imagine is what's happening with Japan was happening with Brazil. If we (the Brazil) we gave up reform the Maracana in 2009 for the 2013 Confederations Cup would be the biggest fiasco, and we gave up on using the Maracanã in the Olympics would be a horror movie. Of course, because we are a country of 3rd world that has no ability to do anything where things always go wrong. Where is the Daily Mail and the whole nasty british media to talk about the great shame and lack of Japan's planning on the Tokyo Olympic Stadium now?

I don't like the Dail Mail either, but I'm CERTAIN the link I gave when I posted that Hadid had been dropped was from the British media i.e. The Guardian.

As for where the Daily Mail is....well a quick Google search reveals they've written TWO articles on this in the past 12 hours, one about Rugby World Cup organisers seeking urgent talks, and one about the dropping of Hadid and the spiralling costs.

But don't let facts get in the way eh?

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

Poor Zaha... at least she'll still have Doha.

I still wonder if this would ever have become an issue if Tokyo hadn't been awarded the games. My guess is that the Zaha design would have still been the one opening the 2019 RWC.

Anyway, guess the renders fans will have something new to drool over soon.

Edited by Sir Rols

I still wonder if this would ever have become an issue if Tokyo hadn't been awarded the games. My guess is that the Zaha design would have still been the one opening the 2019 RWC.

Nah I think if Tokyo would have lost they would have scrapped the plan for that stadium, or just renovate the existing stadium. They were definitely going for that wow factor for the 2020 SOGs and once that is gone, they would have found something more conservative. And with the 6-year gap between the election of the 2020 host and the opening of the 1919 RWC, there would have been plenty of time for a bid for a new design, knock down the original stadium and build the new one in time.

fjmMafX.jpg

Is it this one?

I don't see how that can be a better parking structure than others. I mean the different dimensions of each floor alone will probably increase costs 35% were it not for a more uniform, yes, boring design. But FGS, it's just a parking structure. I don't think Pritzker makes awards based on Best Parking Structure design?!?! And what's with that top curlicue? Is it a "suicide" runway? I mean her designs are really so outre.

What about the losing designs in the original contest? Weren't #2 or #3 good enough to be used. I actually wish they'd use the rejected design of the Brasilia 2017 or 2019 design which Brasilia also gave up on. That was stunning!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Like Madrid...

Nah - Madrid 2020 still had so many other issues to have warrant them a win. What Tokyo 2020 shoulda done from the start was just go with something a bit more simple than trying to go all out. That's really the crux of the matter here.