National Stadium(1964 Olympic Stadium)

yukke14

No retractable roof.....ok, that makes sense. It's a nice extra but hardly necessary.

35% of seats temporary in a 80k National Stadium? So Japan's new National stadium would end up with six thousand fewer seats than the one it replaced? Barely more than 50k seats!

Not liking that so much.

Edited by Rob.

Except of course the last Hadid Olympic structure was built from the roof down!

Well, they're dispensing with the roof for this one -- so I don't see how they cannot start but from the foundations?? And even if the roof were to come later, they would still have to provide for the proper posts/supports/pylons on which that future roof will rest.

Given the current and rather surprising trajectory of modification proposed by the Tokyo, I wonder if, perhaps, the IOC may have sound legal grounds to sue future host cities who deviate from their offered plans should they win an Olympic bid. It could, for all intents and purposes, be perceived as a breach of contracts of sorts.... just a mischievous ( but rather real) little thought.

The IOC doesn't seem to mind and in fact seems to be branding these changes as part of its Agenda 2020 program.

Indeed, we know they actually pushed PC2018 organisers to move their sliding events to Japan (a little too extreme a change for my liking so I'm glad it was rejected). So whilst I suppose technically they could sue, it seems that they're actually taking the opposite approach to post-bid changes. And anyway, I very much doubt the sight of the IOC and an organising committee in a court room on opposite sides will benefit either.

It's generally the IFs who grumble when a venue is changed rather than the IOC. We've seen a little bit of that with Tokyo and saw a little bit with London as well.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

I will be in Tokyo in June. I really wonder if there is something going on and where to find the Olympic cauldron?

The cauldron is now in Ishinomaki city,Miyagi pref.

http://newsonjapan.com/html/newsdesk/article/109840.php

The unveiling ceremony will be held on 27th,June 2015 at Ishinomaki sports park.

• Like 1

I found and article clearing up some of the statements trhown out recently about the stadium. Here are the facts:

( http://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/823372 )

1. The retractable roof will be constructed after the games due to both budget and time constraints.

2. The stationary roof (obviously) will be built as planned.

3. The retractable seating feature will not be constructed. Therefore, the stadium will be in track mode permanently (like Nissan)

4. Not 30,000 seats, but just 15,000 seats will be temporary. Therefore the final capacity will be 65,000 which is plenty for a national stadium.

I found and article clearing up some of the statements trhown out recently about the stadium. Here are the facts:

( http://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/823372 )

1. The retractable roof will be constructed after the games due to both budget and time constraints.

2. The stationary roof (obviously) will be built as planned.

3. The retractable seating feature will not be constructed. Therefore, the stadium will be in track mode permanently (like Nissan)

The above could have come from a progress report in 1973. ;)

1976_Montreal1.jpg

• Like 1

I searched around the internet for more info about those renders I posted earlier from the NY Times article, and found that there was a design show about Zaha Hadid in Japan a few weeks before the most recent official renders were released back in October of 2014. Here are some photos I got from it. ( http://www.fashion-headline.com/article/img/2014/10/19/8121/94896.html )

mPekPuu.png

lx1NK9x.png

q2jIE7O.png

xnOO1rR.png

ekZHGh3.png

zq2zccr.png

q3KqO3K.png

5Ho3q9o.png

For these next few, given recent developments, we can kind of ignore the mesh in the main roof area since that wont be there during the games.

G8gog3u.png

CvMbqVJ.png

• Like 2

I still think it looks fantastic. It's meant to stand out from its surroundings, it's a National Stadium! You can see Wembley's arch across London, you'll be able to pick this out on the skyline too.

Its form follows its function; it actually ISN'T overextragegant. Every part of that design serves a function. What would you take away from it? That's unlike what we had in Beijing which was a normal stadium with a load of concrete wrapped around it. In that sense Toky's is a much tighter design.

And that transparent roof will give some great aerial shots during 2020. They could have some neat lighting effects with those different sections in the ceremoniess if they wanted.

• Like 1