yukke14

Stadium murals face destruction in work for 2020 Olympics

13 murals will be saved ;) .

News source Gorin Mainichi(in Japanese);

http://sportsspecial.mainichi.jp/news/20140612ddm035050151000c.html

It's the Sayonara for the Future video from the TOCOG YouTube page

Translation of the video.

0'06"~

The lady in sunglass said "this will be last time so I'm very looking forward to this."

Next,a girl said "I wanna go and see Tokyo Olympic."

1'22"~

"Arigatou Kokuritsu.(Thank you national stadium.)",Kokuritsu means national and that's the nickname of the stadium.

2"12'~

The message on national flag;

"Goodbye Kokuritsu(=National stadium).

Thanks for many memories.

Love for the stadium.

All dreams started here.

We will never forget this stadium,

forever..."

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And it looks like these peaceful protests have made an impact.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/protests-pay-off-as-hadid-alters-tokyo-stadium/5069610.article

"Lightweight, tensile fabric between the stadium's structure significantly reduces the weight and materials of the roof, giving the stadium even greater flexibility as both an outdoor and indoor venue."

I wonder if that means the two long "backbones" are going to become less prominent.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a new Q&A posted on the JSC website but it's in Japanese :(

http://www.jpnsport.go.jp/newstadium/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=w39gQXKDZ3M%3d&tabid=36&mid=762

The questions and answers are very general ones.If you have read almost every news about Tokyo 2020,I don't think you need to read this ;) . 

BTW how did you get this FAQ in Jpanese ver.?

New document: http://www.jpnsport.go.jp/newstadium/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=sdBUnenWAQE%3d&tabid=36&mid=762

After a bit of google translator, i picked up on a few details:

• definate 80,000 capacity
  • there are plans (what appears to be the most informal plans) to use the stadium in the future for IAAF world championships and/or FIFA world cup
  • the stadium is planned to be used many times throughout each year for concerts and events
  • the new price appears to be 162.5 billion yen (approx. $1.6 billion as of today)
  • the maintenance cost per year is 4 billion yen (approx. $39.2 million as of today which seems like a lot but idk what's normal)
  • it also explains that the reason they are renovating not just refurbishing is that it's no longer up to world sport standards and it's current earthquake resistance is not strong enough
  • 9 lanes on the track
  • just once again stating that construction will start next october (2015)

thats about it. theres a small calendar (in heisei) that shows the basic dates we already know. july 2014-september 2015 is demolition and october 2015-march 2019 is construction with a small prep period afterwards before the rugby world cup.

• Like 1

This is about a session held on 7th July,2014.

New document: http://www.jpnsport.go.jp/newstadium/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=sdBUnenWAQE%3d&tabid=36&mid=762

After a bit of google translator, i picked up on a few details:

• it also explains that the reason they are renovating not just refurbishing is that it's no longer up to world sport standards and it's current earthquake resistance is not strong enough

Found the reasons why they can't renovate stadium.(Page 3. 4 改修計画と比較検討. texts follow after second circle)

Technically quite difficult to expand east side(cauldron side)of the stadium.

• 9 lanes on the track

Are Olympic stadiums required to have 9 or 10 lanes instead of the standard 8? I never thought about it, but that could be a potential headache for a few of the older stadiums like Berlin's Olympiastadion that have 8 lanes.

Are Olympic stadiums required to have 9 or 10 lanes instead of the standard 8? I never thought about it, but that could be a potential headache for a few of the older stadiums like Berlin's Olympiastadion that have 8 lanes.

as far as i can tell from the olympic charter (which doesnt say anything about it), I assume that like all other venues it has to meet the requirements of the IF, not the IOC. So in that case i think 8 are required. They just opted to have nine for the funsies.

This is about a session held on 7th July,2014.

Found the reasons why they can't renovate stadium.(Page 3. 4 改修計画と比較検討. texts follow after second circle)

Technically quite difficult to expand east side(cauldron side)of the stadium.

Following article explains everything.

Ministry deems National Stadium renovation plans unrealistic40109840bbfe9585fa7053f61692b809.jpg?AWS

The Yomiuri Shimbun

4:23 am, August 20, 2014

The Yomiuri Shimbun The sports ministry has deemed a proposal to renovate the National Stadium for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics unrealistic, because of a number of drawbacks including insufficient earthquake resistance and building regulations that prohibit the blocking of sunlight from nearby structures.

Large-scale construction work would be required to improve the earthquake resistance of the current stadium, which officials say falls under the jurisdiction of both the Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Ministry and the Japan Sports Council. With this in mind, the ministry and the council want to build a new stadium.

The renovation plans were presented by architect organizations and individual architects, including Toyoo Ito, who claim the reconstruction of a new stadium would damage the historic scenery of the Meiji Shrine Outer Gardens. The council and ministry have been reviewing these proposals.

According to this review, previous earthquake resistance checks showed that the current stadium would probably collapse if an earthquake with an intensity of upper 6 on the Japanese scale occurred. To improve the stadium’s quake resistance, almost all of the stadium columns would have to be enlarged to nearly three times their current size. Walkways and waiting rooms would become narrower and smaller as a result, inconveniencing spectators and athletes. The council added that problems could also arise in managing the Paralympics.

Another issue is that the seats in the northeastern area of the stadium would cast a shadow over the premises of the neighboring Seitoku Kinen Kaigakan, a museum. The shadow would violate Building Standards Law regulations that were revised after the stadium was completed. The issue must be resolved regardless of whether the renovation plan is adopted or not.

Should renovation plans proceed, the seats in the northeastern section—one-quarter of total stadium capacity—would have to be removed. In addition, 80,000 seats must be provided as promised to the International Olympic Committee. To honor this promise, new seats would have to be installed at the southwestern side that extends from the premises, distorting the shape of the stadium.

According to estimates, the total cost may be as high as ¥100 billion, including work to remove the seats. This is still less than the ¥136.7 billion needed to demolish the current stadium and build a new one. However, the state of the current stadium has continued to deteriorate as more than 50 years have passed since it was built.

The ministry and the council believe a huge amount of funds would be needed to cover future repair work if the current stadium is used. Therefore, the ministry and council have concluded that renovating the stadium is unrealistic.

News source:The Japan News

Link;http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0001503752

• Like 1

two new documents from the JSC. This one (http://www.jpnsport.go.jp/newstadium/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=WnVlVRv21YU%3d&tabid=36&mid=762) according to my dear google translate shows a slight change in the dates. Something called "Design Implementation" spans from August 2014 to September 2015, which is similar to the demolition schedule. The actual demolition timeline now stands at September 2014 - September 2015 which is ahead of the previous schedule of October 2014 - October 2015. The construction dates are the same.

There's another one that's rather long (http://www.jpnsport.go.jp/newstadium/Portals/0/shushimikomi/20140820_shushimikomi.pdf) that looks to be about finances and stuff.