National Stadium(1964 Olympic Stadium)

yukke14

But fact.

...and your comment about the Chinese wasn't funny either.

Honestly, it weren't meant to be funny. My point is, China is the most Populated Location in the World, so they must have the worst Sex-Ed Lessons in the World. I do know what Hadid's Stadium looked like.

But fact.

...and your comment about the Chinese wasn't funny either.

His Chinese comment made no sense, China obviously has a much better one, hello 1/5th of the worlds population lives there. :lol:

Honestly, it weren't meant to be funny. My point is, China is the most Populated Location in the World, so they must have the worst Sex-Ed Lessons in the World. I do know what Hadid's Stadium looked like.

Tony I'm sorry but that makes no sense. Sex-Ed is the education of sex, sexual orientation, puberty and other things. If China had the worse then their population would be no where near it's current number.

His Chinese comment made no sense, China obviously has a much better one, hello 1/5th of the worlds population lives there. :lol:

Tony I'm sorry but that makes no sense. Sex-Ed is the education of sex, sexual orientation, puberty and other things. If China had the worse then their population would be no where near it's current number.

Knock Knock. You do realise how living things are made? That's my point. China has 1/5th of the Worlds Population, so the reproduction rate is high.

Knock Knock. You do realise how living things are made? That's my point. China has 1/5th of the Worlds Population, so the reproduction rate is high.

Do YOU know how living things are made? How do you think they learned how to reproduce? Do you imagine some Chinese children "experimenting" and having accidental births? Does having a bad sex-ed program lead to more people? How would they understand the timing and such without it?

A bad sex ed program has nothing to do with their population. The settling of countries like China and India began much earlier than many western countries and people came from a plethora of different places.

Tony...See what happens when you don't thought into what you type?

Ridiculed Again!

2020 Tokyo Games facilities to showcase domestic wood

Plans for using domestic wood to construct the new National Stadium and other facilities related to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics have moved ahead.

For example, it has been decided that domestic wood will be used for the stands in the new National Stadium, which will be the main venue for the Tokyo Games, and plans are being considered for wood to be used in facilities such as the athletes’ village.

The Forestry Agency and other organization members are excited about the prospects, with one official saying, “We’d like the Tokyo Olympics to be a catalyst for developing the forestry industry, including that of the areas damaged by the 2011 [Great East Japan Earthquake].”

The Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Ministry and other entities have envisaged the use domestic wood at the new National Stadium in Shinjuku Ward, Tokyo, for the 80,000-capacity stands, decorations and walls of the royal box and other areas, and the beams of the retractable roof.

They also aim at offsetting the construction costs by collecting contributions from home and abroad, and will consider attaching nameplates of contributors to seats in commemoration.

The Japan Sport Council is in charge of constructing the stadium and is promoting a basic design using wood. The council plans to decide on specific areas that will use wood after finalizing a construction design by the end of this month.

Of 37 facilities related to athletic events of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, nearly half of them are planned to be built in Koto Ward, Tokyo. Since the Edo period (1603-1867), the ward has had a history of developing as a timber yard.

The usage of wood is declared in the candidacy file submitted by the Tokyo 2020 Bid Committee to the International Olympic Committee.

With this background in mind, the government plans to establish a review committee with the Tokyo metropolitan government and the organizing committee for the Games in the near future. The government intends to include the use of domestic wood in the basic plan of the Tokyo Olympics that will be submitted to the IOC by February next year.

In past Olympics, wood was used for athletic facilities, including those for cycling and swimming races in the 2012 London Olympics. In the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, wooden podiums were used. In the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics, wood was used for the roof of the speed skating venue.

Bearing in mind that the 2020 Olympics will be held in midsummer in Tokyo, it is expected that the timber will help boost athletes’ performance as wood functions to condition humidity and has soothing effects on people, according to the Forestry Agency and other sources.

Another merit of wooden buildings is that they are relatively easy to demolish or relocate. After the Olympics, it is possible to move the facilities to different locations after handing them over to municipalities.

“We’d like to introduce to the world the Japanese spirit of harmony and delicate usage of wood, taking advantage of this opportunity of the Olympics,” an official in charge said.

Yomiuri

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0001288215

東京2020オリンピック・パラリンピック - Tokyo2020

In 10 days, the Tokyo National Stadium will close for reconstruction. Join us to say #SayonaraStadium and share your memories!

History has been made there for more than 50 years. See how the area has changed over time.

10257586_625316154225692_245468514624455

10333483_625316184225689_656741550318196

『SAYONARA国立競技場FINAL “FOR THE FUTURE”』に向け、50年の歴史を持つ国立競技場。皆さんの思い出の名場面を教えてください!

#SAYONARA国立 やコメント欄で思い出のシーンを募集します!

Facebook

東京2020オリンピック・パラリンピック - Tokyo2020

In 10 days, the Tokyo National Stadium will close for reconstruction. Join us to say #SayonaraStadium and share your memories!History has been made there for more than 50 years. See how the area has changed over time.

10257586_625316154225692_245468514624455

10333483_625316184225689_656741550318196『SAYONARA国立競技場FINAL “FOR THE FUTURE”』に向け、50年の歴史を持つ国立競技場。皆さんの思い出の名場面を教えてください!#SAYONARA国立 やコメント欄で思い出のシーンを募集します!

Facebook

I love then and now shots...The black and white looks older than 1964...about the time it was to host in the 40s?

I love then and now shots...The black and white looks older than 1964...about the time it was to host in the 40s?

The plans for the 40's games had the main stadium in a very different location. I forgot where, but I know for sure it was not where the national stadium sits now.

The plans for the 40's games had the main stadium in a very different location. I forgot where, but I know for sure it was not where the national stadium sits now.

Would've been built to impress the region no doubt...surely they built it? There was still hope well into 1940 for the games to go on probably untill Germany turned on the west countries...and Italy said "we're playing now".

Edited by Alexjc

Japan sport chiefs greenlight huge stadium

TOKYO: Japanese sports chiefs on Wednesday gave the greenlight to a new US$1.6 billion stadium for the 2020 Olympics, all but dashing the hopes of campaigners who say the building and its price tag, are too big.

The government-affiliated Japan Sport Council, which will run the 160 billion yen new National Stadium, decided to trim the height of the structure to 70 metres (230 feet) from the original 75 metres to appease concerns it would be a blight on the Tokyo skyline.

The basic design of the 80,000-seat stadium with a retractable roof, originally conceived by prize-winning Iraqi-British architect Zaha Hadid and shaped like a bike helmet, was rubber-stamped by the council and a panel of advisers.

Drawn by a group of design houses, it will be made final on approval from the ministry in charge of sports administration.

The structure is set to be built on the site of the 56-year-old, 54,000-seat National Stadium, which will be dismantled over 15 months beginning in July.

The new stadium is set to be completed in time for the rugby World Cup, which Japan hosts in 2019, a year ahead of the Summer Games.

Hadid's design was chosen in an international competition in November 2012. She had previously designed the London Aquatics Centre used in the 2012 Games.

She also designed the controversial Al-Wakrah stadium in Qatar, which will be used in the 2022 World Cup.

The Tokyo stadium will be built in an area with numerous parks and a grand Shinto shrine, and will tower over most of the structures around it, with building heights historically limited to 15 metres.

That limit was raised by Tokyo Metropolitan Government to 75 metres in June last year.

Hadid's design has come under fire from Japanese architects led by Fumihiko Maki, 85, the creative brains behind one of the new towers for the World Trade Centre complex in New York.

Criticism grew when Japan's minister in charge of the Olympics estimated the stadium would cost about 300 billion yen (US$3 billion), more than double the 130 billion yen that was originally stipulated in the design competition.

The estimated cost has since been reduced to 160 billion yen, including by scaling down the stadium's floor space.

Critics have scoffed at the sudden price cut, and suggest the final bill will be much higher.

Japanese architect Toyoo Ito, who won the prestigious Pritzker Architecture Prize - like Hadid - unveiled an alternate design this month that would renovate the old stadium, which hosted the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, by expanding its main stand.

The Japan Institute of Architects also sent a proposal that the work to dismantle the old stadium should be postponed amid conflicting views over the basic design.

"By lowering the height from 75 to 70 metres, we think the design has become great in terms of landscape," said Ichiro Kohno, president of the sport council.

He said the council will thoroughly explain the merits of the project to critics but it would "not change the fundamentals".

- AFP/fl

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/olympics-japan-sport/1126110.html

At least it's happening. When you go back a few years you can see other ideas which would've been impressive but this is what won.

The original intention was for the Rugby World Cup and the 2020 Olympics is the icing on the cake...This is a national stadium after all.