Canada 2022

intoronto

And more firm info that Edmonton's keen:

Time to bring back Games, mayor says

Mayor Stephen Mandel enthusiastically backed plans Tuesday to explore an Edmonton bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

"I think 1978 (the last Edmonton Games) was a watershed moment for the city, and 2022, almost 45 years later, it would be a nice re-coming out party," Mandel said.

"It's a chance to showcase Edmonton. We have great facilities in the city, so I don't think there would be a huge capital investment with these games other than some expansion. We would obviously have to do some upgrades."

Edmonton is replacing the seats at Commonwealth Stadium, which has a new field house, and there is also the University of Alberta's GO Centre for court sports and a 50-metre pool in the Terwillegar recreation centre, he said.

Such competitions bring people together as well as leaving a construction legacy, Mandel said.

"That's the big benefit. Few cities do them as well as Edmonton does - a huge cadre of volunteers comes together, not just for the sports events, but for the cultural events too. It makes a great time for the entire city."

Edmonton officials say they will look at bidding for the games now that Commonwealth Games Canada has indicated it's considering trying to bring them back to this country for the first time since 1994.

Mandel said he isn't deterred by the fact the city failed in its last two attempts to host big international events, the 2015 summer World University Games and Expo 2017.

"You win some, you lose some. Just because you don't succeed, you don't stop trying. Universiade, we probably would have won the next one if we had tried."

Coun. Jane Batty, who argued un-successfully to boost this year's city budget by $350,000 to help attract major events, said any bid should involve the University of Alberta and other post-secondary institutions.

"There are many benefits coming from it aside from some great new facilities. It's more the opportunity to be seen on the world stage," she said.

"Nowadays, when you do business, you don't just do it locally."

Brian MacPherson, chief executive of Commonwealth Games Canada, estimated the operating cost to mount the 2022 event at $1 billion, plus any construction required.

However, the 71 Commonwealth Games delegates generally favour reusing facilities when possible rather than building something new, he said.

Cities would probably spend less than $1 million seeking the nod as the proposed Canadian site, while the price of campaigning for inter-national support is currently $8 mil-lion to $10 million, he said from his Ottawa office.

The non-profit group will decide by this fall whether Canada has the federal backing and a sufficiently good chance of winning to justify pursuing a bid.

Any cities that want to take part will have a few weeks to respond to a call for expressions of interest, then in 2013 submit a formal bid, MacPherson said.

The Canadian Games organization would choose a national representative by the end of next year, with the winning country being picked in 2015.

South Africa, New Zealand and Malaysia are also rumoured to be interested, but Canada's advantages include good time zones for broad-casting international sports and the fact it hasn't held the games in 18 years, MacPherson said.

They've grown from the 2,500 athletes and 10 sports Canada last saw in Victoria, and are now likely to draw 4,000 athletes in 17 sports, he said.

"Any city or country that wants to host them has to put on a bigger event than in the past," he said.

"We're optimistic for lots of different reasons. We would love to host these games in 2022."

Edmonton Journal

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malaysia? Interesting I think they might have confused it with Singapore.

I didn't notice that, but it could well be right. The Malaysians always have been more keen to go after such events than the Singaporeans. I wouldn't be surprised if they fancied KL's chances for a second tilt.

But what about the great hole in Africa??? It's wet, willing and waiting!

I didn't notice that, but it could well be right. The Malaysians always have been more keen to go after such events than the Singaporeans. I wouldn't be surprised if they fancied KL's chances for a second tilt.

But what about the great hole in Africa??? It's wet, willing and waiting!

I would definitely support an African bid for 2022 if it came from RSA. Other countries which bitch when they lose like Abuja no. LOl

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure why Toronto can't bid for both 2022 and 2024

1. the Commonwealth Games and Olympic Games are different compeitions - why not show again you can hold a multi sport event

2. Allows you to build a 45,000 stadium to be used by the Toronto Argonauts but temporarily expandable to 70,000 seats for the Olympics

3. By the decision is made for 2024, you can show that the costs of the games will be controlled rather than potentially balloonable.

I am not sure why Toronto can't bid for both 2022 and 2024

1. the Commonwealth Games and Olympic Games are different compeitions - why not show again you can hold a multi sport event

2. Allows you to build a 45,000 stadium to be used by the Toronto Argonauts but temporarily expandable to 70,000 seats for the Olympics

3. By the decision is made for 2024, you can show that the costs of the games will be controlled rather than potentially balloonable.

It would be a good idea, but the conservative gvt. has a policy of funding two multi sporting events per decade. 2008-2018 was the 2010 Olympics and 2015 PAGS. 2022 and 2024 in that 10 year cycle going to Toronto would not go over well with with rest of the country.

They probably would. Only issue is where the track and OC will be held. In 2001 the track stadium was described as third world and something third world African countries could have done a better job off. Ouch.

The pool is still in excellent condition evident by the 2005 WAC

The '76 Olympic pool and the 2005 WAC pool are different venues. The Olympic complex was used for the Canadian Olympic Trials in 2008.

As for East vs. West in this country.

East

Hamilton Commonwealth Games 1930

Montreal Expo 1967

Montreal Olympics 1976

Ottawa Jeax de Francophone 2001

Montreal World Aquatic Championships 2005

Toronto FIFA U20 World Cup 2007

Toronto Pan American Games 2015

West

Vancouver Commonwealth Games 1954

Winnipeg Pan American Games 1967

Edmonton Commonwealth Games 1978

Vancouver Expo 1986

Calgary Olympic Winter Games 1988

Victoria Commonwealth Games 1994

Winnipeg Pan American Games 1999

Edmonton World Athletic Championships 2001

Edmonton FIFA Women's U20 World Cup 2003.

Vancouver Olympic Winter Games 2010

The '76 Olympic pool and the 2005 WAC pool are different venues. The Olympic complex was used for the Canadian Olympic Trials in 2008.

As for East vs. West in this country.

East

Hamilton Commonwealth Games 1930

Montreal Expo 1967

Montreal Olympics 1976

Ottawa Jeax de Francophone 2001

Montreal World Aquatic Championships 2005

Toronto FIFA U20 World Cup 2007

Toronto Pan American Games 2015

West

Vancouver Commonwealth Games 1954

Winnipeg Pan American Games 1967

Edmonton Commonwealth Games 1978

Vancouver Expo 1986

Calgary Olympic Winter Games 1988

Victoria Commonwealth Games 1994

Winnipeg Pan American Games 1999

Edmonton World Athletic Championships 2001

Edmonton FIFA Women's U20 World Cup 2003.

Vancouver Olympic Winter Games 2010

Seems like the West has more events, even though Ontario alone has more population then all of Western Canada combined.

Vancouver and Edmonton hosted 3 events each; Toronto and Montreal hosted or will host a total of 2 events each.

Oh, by the way, Edmonton hosted the 1983 Summer Universiade. That makes 4 events for the city.

I just can't see beyond the USA for the next North American Summer Olympics - the only chance I can see of Canada getting them is if the US don't put a bid forward for 2024, but my gut tells me the games are destined to return to the USA sooner rather than later now enough time has passed since Atlanta.

Canada though would be tough to beat for the Commonwealth Games - the CGF need to raise the profile once again of the games in Canada as they seem to have fallen out of favour somewhat lately. To me from a financial point of view reusing facilities from Toronto 2015 rather than Edmonton 1978 makes more sense - but then again from a regeneration point of view Edmonton probably needs something like the Commonwealth Games so that legacy of 1978 isn't allowed to fall into disrepair.

I just can't see beyond the USA for the next North American Summer Olympics - the only chance I can see of Canada getting them is if the US don't put a bid forward for 2024, but my gut tells me the games are destined to return to the USA sooner rather than later now enough time has passed since Atlanta.

Canada though would be tough to beat for the Commonwealth Games - the CGF need to raise the profile once again of the games in Canada as they seem to have fallen out of favour somewhat lately. To me from a financial point of view reusing facilities from Toronto 2015 rather than Edmonton 1978 makes more sense - but then again from a regeneration point of view Edmonton probably needs something like the Commonwealth Games so that legacy of 1978 isn't allowed to fall into disrepair.

The IOC when it returns for a WOG in NA will have to be in the USA, and that seems more likely then a summer games.

I wouldn't favor a Toronto 2022 Commonwealth Games, that will certainly kill a 2024 Olympics bid.

Imagine if they won, it would be in 2015, the year of their Pan American Games. Then you got an Olympics bid a mere year later.

The Games are a mere 2 years apart. Will the Commonwealth Games offer a main stadium of 40,000, to be expanded to 80,000 for an Olympics in under 2 years? Will there be Olympic construction during the Commonwealth Games? Or prior to that, but not used for the Commonwealth Games?

I'd rather see a Toronto 2024 bid, rather than have a Commonwealth Games, then need to wait for 2028 at the earliest.

I wouldn't favor a Toronto 2022 Commonwealth Games, that will certainly kill a 2024 Olympics bid.

Imagine if they won, it would be in 2015, the year of their Pan American Games. Then you got an Olympics bid a mere year later.

The Games are a mere 2 years apart. Will the Commonwealth Games offer a main stadium of 40,000, to be expanded to 80,000 for an Olympics in under 2 years? Will there be Olympic construction during the Commonwealth Games? Or prior to that, but not used for the Commonwealth Games?

I'd rather see a Toronto 2024 bid, rather than have a Commonwealth Games, then need to wait for 2028 at the earliest.

Most likely there will not be a desire to go after the CWG when the Pan American Games (both are in the second level of games) passed over so it would be Olympics as the only thing seen as desire-able.

And Lord David the 2015 CWG is awarded in November 2015. You have to indicate a desire to go for the 2024 games in September 2015.

From a neutral perspective I think Canadian Commonwealth Games is much more desirable than a Canadian Summer Olympics at the moment - and financially I think Canada are best off playing the waiting game with the IOC - they'll be in a much stronger position once the summer games have returned to the USA to win any bid put forward, even if that might mean we're looking at 2032 at the absolute earliest for a Canadian games.

From a neutral perspective I think Canadian Commonwealth Games is much more desirable than a Canadian Summer Olympics at the moment - and financially I think Canada are best off playing the waiting game with the IOC - they'll be in a much stronger position once the summer games have returned to the USA to win any bid put forward, even if that might mean we're looking at 2032 at the absolute earliest for a Canadian games.

The next Olympic Games in Canada is likely a summer games so bidding is not a big deal, but constant bidding and perseverance = winning. Toronto has bid twice and for the IOC it will be hard to reject such a technically sound bid.

I suppose. But for a Commonwealth Games you will still need to build a main stadium of at least 40,000 (I'd expect IOC minimum 60,000, expandable for an Olympics), whilst using the new aquatics centre, velodrome, hockey centre etc built for the 2015 Pan American Games. In effect, only 1 new venue to be built, alongside the athlete's village.

The next Olympic Games in Canada is likely a summer games so bidding is not a big deal, but constant bidding and perseverance = winning. Toronto has bid twice and for the IOC it will be hard to reject such a technically sound bid.

Perhaps, assuming the idealistic waterfront location for an Aquatics Centre (perhaps just a main pool, the diving and waterpolo prelims could be held at the University) and Main Stadium. The Pan American Games Velodrome could be expanded, as well as the other venues specifically built for the Pan American Games.

Perhaps, assuming the idealistic waterfront location for an Aquatics Centre (perhaps just a main pool, the diving and waterpolo prelims could be held at the University) and Main Stadium. The Pan American Games Velodrome could be expanded, as well as the other venues specifically built for the Pan American Games.

More then likely a new velodrome will be needed for an Olympic bid.

Archived