Canada 2022

intoronto

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What could that mean regarding for a future Olympic bid ???

Is this just a move from the Canadian Commonwealth Games Committee without any discussion with the Canadian NOC ?

Or will they try to bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games and following the result would bid for the 2024 Summer Games... !!! ???

What could that mean regarding for a future Olympic bid ???

Is this just a move from the Canadian Commonwealth Games Committee without any discussion with the Canadian NOC ?

Or will they try to bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games and following the result would bid for the 2024 Summer Games... !!! ???

2022 will be awarded in 2015 so no they can't decide to wait for the result. The CGA does not need the COC's approval, but one must believe there are backroom discussions and ultimately if they decide to go for 2022 (with Toronto) it might be a sign they are giving up for 2024.

Big bloody tease. Wish he'd name some of the cities.

Wonder if Halifax will line up again?

For one Toronto has not approached the CGA lol with a clown in the running. I would believe Halifax, Calgary, York Region (with many venues in Toronto), Ottawa and Hamilton have all approached the CGA for a bid.

I sure hope Halifax bid ... and propose a spanking new stadium in New Glasgow.

They r likely gonna get one for the 2015 FIFA WWC. There were rendering out google it. I think Halifax is the best choice, as Atlantic Canada needs sporting facilities.

If there is regime change in the Halifax city counsel in 2013 we might throw out a bit, specially because we probably wont get a stadium approved in time for the FIFA women's world cup. Obviously it would be difficult to even get past the Canadian selection but you never know, Halifax does have a lot going for it in terms of legacy as well as a booming economy and population, two things we didn't have in 2005.

Montreal! ha ha

LOLLLLLLLLLL

Not happening.

I want to see a Vancouver games with the Olympic venues being used. For ex. badminton at the oval gymnastics at the GM place rugby/ceremonies at BC place etc.

Montreal! ha ha

Why not? Simply because it's the bastion of French and anti British? :P

They could simply revert the Olympic Stadium to it's original athletics tracked design at 52,500, perhaps revert the indoor pool back to 10,000. Maybe build a new legacy velodrome and use the many indoor arenas and expo halls in the city.

I think Ottawa would make a good host.

They probably would. Only issue is where the track and OC will be held. In 2001 the track stadium was described as third world and something third world African countries could have done a better job off. Ouch.

Why not? Simply because it's the bastion of French and anti British? :P

They could simply revert the Olympic Stadium to it's original athletics tracked design at 52,500, perhaps revert the indoor pool back to 10,000. Maybe build a new legacy velodrome and use the many indoor arenas and expo halls in the city.

The pool is still in excellent condition evident by the 2005 WAC

Seems like Edmonton's one of the "interested" cities:

City has bid for Commonwealth Games in its sight

EDMONTON - Edmonton could move to the centre of the international sporting world once again as it considers bidding for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

“I don’t know anything about the process or the financials or the time lines, but we’ll certainly have a look at it,” Candice Stasynec, external executive director of the city’s intergovernmental affairs branch, said Monday.

“These opportunities are so few and far between that you can’t not look at it. Over 30-plus years, we have a history. We have a bit of expertise in multi-sport events which not all cities do.”

Edmonton hosted the 1978 Commonwealth Games, the 1983 World University Games and the 2001 World Track and Field Championships, but failed in its last two attempts to woo big shows.

It lost out to Gwangju, South Korea, for the 2015 summer World University Games, then the federal government shut down a proposed bid for Expo 2017 in a move that rankled local politicians.

But with Toronto holding the 2015 Pan-Am Games, Stasynec wondered if a western push for the Commonwealth Games would have a bit of an edge.

“Our reputation for hosting events, not only the number but the quality, I think that’s well-established … A bid from Edmonton would have a lot of competitive advantages to it.”

Stasynec’s interest was piqued by comments from Brian MacPherson, chief executive of Commonwealth Games Canada, who told online sports website Inside the Games that Canada intends to bid for the event.

She understood from earlier discussions the Games organization was going to do a feasibility study, including the potential for a competing South African bid.

“I’m a little bit surprised by the timing of the announcement … I guess they have determined that either an African country isn’t bidding or it isn’t as formidable as originally thought.”

Canada has hosted the Games four times, the last one in Victoria in 1994. The Games will be in Glasgow, Scotland, in 2014, then Australia’s Gold Coast four years later.

Once Edmonton receives more details from Commonwealth Games Canada, it will take about two months to decide if a 2022 bid is feasible before seeking support from city council and the province, she said.

Former mayor Cec Purves, who was in office the last time the Games came to Edmonton, would love to see them return.

“If you can get the financing from the federal government, the provincial government, I think it’s great. It’s one of the best things that ever happened to the city of Edmonton,” he said.

“It creates a heck of a lot of excitement, and because you’re able to get federal funding and provincial funding, you’re able to upgrade your facilities.”

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip attended.

“During the Commonwealth Games, the city was so full of excitement, you couldn’t go anywhere, you couldn’t do anything, without thinking about what was going on,” Purves said.

Edmonton Journal

^^^

There's always CWGs Hamilton 2030 if that happened.

Three straight bids for events in East not going to bode well with West. But who cares lol, cuz Ontario has more then the entire western Canadian population.

Montreal has many of the facilities - the Big O, the pools from FINA 2005, the Olympic rowing basin, Bell Centre, Saputo, Molson and Uniprix stadiums - but the politics of Quebec would make it awkward.

Exactly why it won't happen. Toronto would have the facilities as well.

For me, I would not be surprised, if Winnipeg was one of the cities that could be interested in bidding for the 2022 CWG. It has the venues from hosting the 1999 Pan Ams, but I don't know how many of them are still there in place.

For me, I would not be surprised, if Winnipeg was one of the cities that could be interested in bidding for the 2022 CWG. It has the venues from hosting the 1999 Pan Ams, but I don't know how many of them are still there in place.

Athletics is going to be a major issue. They need a big stadium. They have three arenas to host indoor sports. Rugby can be held at the new BB stadium if it can fit.

Archived