London 2012 bid presentation

hm, sorry, might have been discussed already, right....

to be honest: i didn´t like the presentation at all... its so oldfashioned. could be a bid movie from the 1993 IOC session. and how can u picture the candidate city for SUMMER olympics without exceptions on cloudy, cold looking days? the video creates no atmosphere in my opinion? presented by an aunty. and the "focus on the young" appears quite superficial to me? ???

also the presentation around the bid movie: everything is SO SEEERIOUS and heavy and anxious? ok, i can imagine HOW much pressure were on their shoulders and HOW NERVOUS they all were. but shouldnt a presentation be a bit more LIGHT?

does anybody know links to the other presentations? paris/nyc/moscow/madrid? missed them all in tv:-(

however, good luck to london!!

There was a massive discussion on the subject already last week, and I think most people said what an amazing presentation it was. Still you have your opinion, but you are in a minority. It obviously was the right strategy though becuse it won London the Games!

Yep. Been discussed to death previously and the consensus was that in comparison with the other bid presentations, it was pretty good.

It had a clear message, which spoke to the committee members and the result speaks for itself.

I wouldn't mind finding out where I could view presentations from previous winning bid cities. Any ideas guys?

Yep. Been discussed to death previously and the consensus was that in comparison with the other bid presentations, it was pretty good.

It had a clear message, which spoke to the committee members and the result speaks for itself.

I wouldn't mind finding out where I could view presentations from previous winning bid cities. Any ideas guys?

They should be here Torch, but I know there have been a few problems with the streaming.

Presentations

Thanks Surfer.

I meant the presentations from Sydney, Beijing and or any other bid presentations from previous bids.

Do you know if any of those exist on the web?

Ok, sorry, I got ya!

Well since the Sydney bid would have been in 1993, I doubt it was televised like it is now. Not sure about Beijing's or Athens'

Thanks Surfer.

I meant the presentations from Sydney, Beijing and or any other bid presentations from previous bids.

Ok, sorry, I got ya!

Well since the Sydney bid would have been in 1993, I doubt it was televised like it is now. Not sure about Beijing's or Athens'

I've got video of the Sydney 2000 presentation from Monaco 93, and as far as I'm aware neither the Sydney bid nor any of the others were broadcast in full during the actual presentation. Of course there were no streaming video online back then.

I have to admit I think that London's presentation was almost a direct homage to Sydney's. Just as Sydney had Kevan Gosper (then IOC VP), London made sure to have Princess Anne. BOA head Craig Reedie spoke for London just as John Coates (AOC head) spoke for Sydney, both stressing how many bids had been made by each country, and how UK and Australia each have impeccable Olympic history. Both PMs Keating and Blair made statements on how the Sydney and London games were going to get national government support, and of course bid heads McGeoch and Coe promoted their respective bid committee's committment to Olympic sport and plans for an Olympic park. Sydney had Kieran Perkins as their Olympian presenter, Denise Lewis did the same for London. And finally, just as Sydney had Tanya Blencowe as the 'children's voice' for Sydney, so did London have their 30 children 'observers'.

I wonder if Seb Coe had a few e-mails sent to and from Rod McGeoch  :D

Thanks Surfer.

Ok, sorry, I got ya!

I've got video of the Sydney 2000 presentation from Monaco 93, and as far as I'm aware neither the Sydney bid nor any of the others were broadcast in full during the actual presentation. Of course there were no streaming video online back then.

I have to admit I think that London's presentation was almost a direct homage to Sydney's. Just as Sydney had Kevan Gosper (then IOC VP), London made sure to have Princess Anne. BOA head Craig Reedie spoke for London just as John Coates (AOC head) spoke for Sydney, both stressing how many bids had been made by each country, and how UK and Australia each have impeccable Olympic history. Both PMs Keating and Blair made statements on how the Sydney and London games were going to get national government support, and of course bid heads McGeoch and Coe promoted their respective bid committee's committment to Olympic sport and plans for an Olympic park. Sydney had Kieran Perkins as their Olympian presenter, Denise Lewis did the same for London. And finally, just as Sydney had Tanya Blencowe as the 'children's voice' for Sydney, so did London have their 30 children 'observers'.

So was there any crying foul from other bidding cities about Australia's "agressive" marketing for Sydney 2000? I'm sure the Aussies are more ruthless when it comes to a bidding campaign Olympics than the Brits were!! And there were only 2 votes in it for the 2000 Games (that's just 1 IOC member who pulled Sydney over the  winning line)

Thanks Surfer.

Ok, sorry, I got ya!

So was there any crying foul from other bidding cities about Australia's "agressive" marketing for Sydney 2000? I'm sure the Aussies are more ruthless when it comes to a bidding campaign Olympics than the Brits were!! And there were only 2 votes in it for the 2000 Games (that's just 1 IOC member who pulled Sydney over the  winning line)

Surfer,

The most contentious aspect of the Sydney bid immediately prior to the Monaco 93 announcement was direct funding offered from the AOC and Sydney bid team to African NOCs for training programmes, conditional on Sydney winning the games. The monies were targetted to the Kenyan and Ugandan NOC's, via their heads Charles Mukora and Major-General Francis Nyangweso. After the Salt Lake City scandal broke this was one story that had some run in disaffected and defeated hosts, specifically China (Beijing), and to a lesser extent Manchester. I recall quite vividly arguing with Chinese posters in rec.sport.olympics about how the monies were not paid for IOC members votes as bribes, but were targetted funding for athletic training, and I still stick to that view. And yes, there's still evidence of the brou-haha over it: see here...

Sydney sucked into Olympics scandal

Frankly, with the Chinese bid for 2000 and 2008 having far more 'aggressive' approach to winning the games, I think both Sydney and London's efforts for their respective games are bloody clean. And as the Delanoe thread shows, even the slightest hypothetical allegation of cheating is more of a sop to the losers than plain admission that they stuffed up.

Archived