2020: Who's the Frontrunner?

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the frontrunner in the 2020 race so far?

altho, in Turkey's defense, up against the quixotic Qataris (who did manage to pull off the 2022 WC victory), the situation they present isn't nearly as bad as tiny Qatar, already committed to staging WC 2022, now also wants to tackle the 2020 SOG in a country of 1.5 million people. I mean, Turkey with 72 million people, a metropolis that could fit all of Qatar 3x over, couldn't carry off the double Euro-Olympics play?

I think if they moved the Euros to May, the Olympics to September, hired a number of foreign consultants to call the shots (ahem...Delhi 2010, this would be the most painful for Turkish pride), and their economy continues to hum along, it could be doable.

That mainly illustrates why Doha is a poor choice.

Again, even if this were workable for Turkey, why would the IOC take the gamble when they have other options?

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If, as looks likely, Turkey is the only candidate for Euro 2020 I'd find it impossible to believe their government would turn around to UEFA and say "actually, no, we don't want this". That'd be such

I think Turkey saying they want the European Championships and the Olympics will work against them. The IOC is not going to want a big show in town in June and the Olympics in August.

It's impossible for any country to stage the same year two major sport events such as Euro and the Olympic Games (and this has nothing to do with Turkey). It would create major challenges regarding ma

The more pondering I make of all this, the more & more I see Tokyo in the drivers seat of this thing. Many talk about Spain's economic woes, Doha has too many issues that it's not even funny, & Baku is just a starter bid. And now with this latest faux-paus by Turkey, Istanbul looks shaky now when it at the very least before all this stuff with Euro & all was stable. The IOC, at this point, only has one clear & least riskiest bid & that's Tokyo.

And PyeongChang 2018 is a non-issue for Tokyo 2020. This has been gone over countless times already & it's fatiguing when someone brings up this trivial point. Back-to-back Asian Games have almost happened twice before, so it's bound to happen sooner or later. And right now, considering the bidding dilemma the IOC is facing with this particular bidding race, they're not going to focus on some frivolous issue like "can't pick Tokyo cuz of PyeongChang" nonsense.

• Like 2

Well, it's really more to accommodate the IOC rather than Turkey per se since the Olympics are the grand poobah of them all, and nothing must get within smelling distance of the Olympics.

No disrespect, but FIFA and UEFA couldn't give a stuff about the Olympics. For them the FIFA World Cup is the big event with the Euros being close behind for UEFA

The IOC will want to send exactly the opposite message. If you bid for the Olympics, they must be the only game in town. Full stop. And they are exactly right. The Games are too big, too complex and too much of a privilege to be part of somebody's loony idea of multi-tasking. They need total government support and total focus if they are going to be realized successfully.

Whilst I partically agree with you (shock?) I have no doubt the Turkish government would provide comprehensive and organisation guarantees.

I cannot see why two completely seperate organisational committees cannot move forward independently whilst communicating with each other to ensure where any costs can be shared, they are.

For examples, if Istanbul is having to improve its transportation infrastructure for the fans of 24 teams in June 2020, then it should be running like clock work come August/September 2020 if not before.

Its not like they are being held at the same time

No disrespect, but FIFA and UEFA couldn't give a stuff about the Olympics. For them the FIFA World Cup is the big event with the Euros being close behind for UEFA

Whilst I partically agree with you (shock?) I have no doubt the Turkish government would provide comprehensive and organisation guarantees.

I cannot see why two completely seperate organisational committees cannot move forward independently whilst communicating with each other to ensure where any costs can be shared, they are.

For examples, if Istanbul is having to improve its transportation infrastructure for the fans of 24 teams in June 2020, then it should be running like clock work come August/September 2020 if not before.

Its not like they are being held at the same time

And there's also the issue around 'natural disasters' in Japan, where another 'event' could cause the IOC to ask if they cannot hold events back to back.

The fact the Istanbul didn't make the last selection in 2016 is irrelevant - Rio didn't make the shortlist in 2012

And Brasil with far more inequality in society are hosting the even larger World Cup in 2014 and then Rio 2016 - in the same year is the next step?

Well, yeah -- but who are FIFA and UEFA? They are just ONE sport! They are just ONE sport that hides under the Olympic umbrella along with some 3 dozen OTHER sports (winter included). Not everybody puts soccer on top of their list. It's just one of many.

Even without the Euro debacle, one could argue that Istanbul was, at best, running third.

Europe and North America have both had back to back Games more than once. It's only fair that it should happen in Asia. Continental rotation is not a hard and fast rule. If anything Fukushima will help Tokyo -- not hurt. It gives them a story of rebuilding and regeneration to tell. It enables them to tug on the heart strings and I have no doubt they'll do that successfully.

Madrid is closer to Istanbul and is hobbled by financial concerns, but they've made exceptionally strong showing unexpectedly in the last two contests. They have an impressive Olympic pedigree, outstanding relationships with the IOC, many existing venues and an outstanding technical plan.

By contrast, Istanbul didn't even make the shortlist the last time they bid. Their plan is not much improved. Venues are still very spread out and transportation is a big concern. Their PR has been lackluster at best and I would say they rank last in terms of generating enthusiasm about the bid.

Istanbul had a chance here, but they needed to play all their cards right. They could've been a contender, but they really wasted the opportunity.

Rio wasn't shortlisted in 2012 yet won in 2016, despite Brazil facing the massive costs and expenses of FIFA2014

Ironically Turkey has actually built most of the infrastructure including stadiums for Euro2020

It's been noted, though, that Brazil will have 2 YEARS between events, while in Turkey's case it would be a mere 2 months.

And yeah, Rio was also not short-listed for 2012, but they still hadn't hosted the 2007 PanAms, which demonstrated their capabilities, & they were also in a much larger, more compelling competing field, with the likes of all the top European capitals & NYC in the mix. The IOC wasn't in anyway, shape or form, hurting for excellent candidates to come forward for those Games.

It's been noted, though, that Brazil will have 2 YEARS between events, while in Turkey's case it would be a mere 2 months.

And yeah, Rio was also not short-listed for 2012, but they still hadn't hosted the 2007 PanAms, which demonstrated their capabilities, & they were also in a much larger, more compelling competing field, with the likes of all the top European capitals & NYC in the mix. The IOC wasn't in anyway, shape or form, hurting for excellent candidates to come forward for those Games.

But arguably, Istanbul have hosted numerous major events recently including both Champions League and UEFA Cup Finals, IAAF World Indoor Athletics Championships, FIBA Basketball Championships etc.

The question will be if Spain can afford to host 2020. Likewise another natural disaster in the next 12 months won't help Tokyo whilst Istanbul can still bang on about the first Muslin games

The reason that Istanbul's failure to make the shortlist is significant is that this current bid is not substantially different. Rio implemented more changes between 2012 and 2016 than Istanbul has and Rio still barely squeaked onto the shortlist.

Natural disasters are a non-issue. They can happen anywhere and anytime. A disaster in 2012 or 2013 would not preclude successful hosting in 2020 anyway.

All things considered Tokyo is by far the best available option.

Belive it or not, this situations boosts Doha and Baku, if Istanul is weeker then the underdogs will be stronger. Simple mathemathics ;)

Not really. Support could shift to the stronger ones...Tokyo and Istanbul. Why should Doha gain any more support? They're in an even tighter position than Istanbul. A 1.5 million tiny country committed to the World Cup in 2022, will then take on something in 2020...and far outside the ideal time frame of the IOC -- July/August? So why should Doha pick up any more support?

Not really. Support could shift to the stronger ones...Tokyo and Istanbul. Why should Doha gain any more support? They're in an even tighter position than Istanbul. A 1.5 million tiny country committed to the World Cup in 2022, will then take on something in 2020...and far outside the ideal time frame of the IOC -- July/August? So why should Doha pick up any more support?

Istanbul had the muslim aspect in their favour if they lose out Doha will gain it, new region etc

I don't see the IOC being so eager to go to a Muslim country that they'll be willing to overlook Doha's many drawbacks or Baku's small size and relative unreadiness.

I don't see either Doha or Baku gaining ground if Istanbul exits. Tokyo and Madrid will be the beneficiaries.

I don't see the IOC being so eager to go to a Muslim country that they'll be willing to overlook Doha's many drawbacks or Baku's small size and relative unreadiness.

I don't see either Doha or Baku gaining ground if Istanbul exits. Tokyo and Madrid will be the beneficiaries.

Baku is not a small city at all. With 2.2 mln population (3 mln with suburbs) this city is at least twice more populated than the same Doha. At the same time Baku is developing and getting readier faster than any other city in this race. The projects we currently realize or plan to start are speaking for themselves ;)

Try this...

http://gamesbids.ink...m/markets/46955

Turkey is bidding for both the 2020 Olympics and the UEFA Euro 2020 but it is unlikely that one country will be awarded both events. What will most likely happen?

POSSIBLE ANSWERS

Turkey will win UEFA, bid for Olympics

Turkey will win UEFA, drop Olympic bid

Turkey continues UEFA and Olympic bids

Turkey will drop out of UEFA 2020 bid

Will drop UEFA & miss Olympic shortlist

Baku is not a small city at all. With 2.2 mln population (3 mln with suburbs) this city is at least twice more populated than the same Doha. At the same time Baku is developing and getting readier faster than any other city in this race. The projects we currently realize or plan to start are speaking for themselves ;)

I find Baku the most likeable of all the contenders and they are running a very credible, well-orchestrated bid, but the reality is the city is not developed up to Olympic standards.

I've seen your posts in the various threads and I'm still unconvinced that the Baku can handle the Games -- especially when compared to Madrid and Tokyo. Pictures of roads, new hotels and airport remodels just demonstrate the fact that Baku is not quite developed enough. If it were, none of these points would be newsworthy. You don't see Tokyo or Madrid posting about such minor details because they don't have to. It's a given that the elements are already in place in those cities. Not so with Baku.

That's why I still believe Tokyo and Madrid will benefit most if Istanbul exits the race.

I've seen your posts in the various threads and I'm still unconvinced that the Baku can handle the Games -- especially when compared to Madrid and Tokyo. Pictures of roads, new hotels and airport remodels just demonstrate the fact that Baku is not quite developed enough. If it were, none of these points would be newsworthy. You don't see Tokyo or Madrid posting about such minor details because they don't have to. It's a given that the elements are already in place in those cities. Not so with Baku.

I have never said Baku is more urban and developed than Madrid and Tokyo. In fact it is not bad at all but then Baku is the least known among applicant cities and most of the ones who know it have stereotypes about it. Just pay attention to the first comments in Baku 2020 thread I am sure you will easily understand the reason why I posted information and pictures on those developments ;)

• 2 months later...

Istanbul-Too much political instability. Rising tensions with Syria

Toyko-May have a decent chance but with the 2018 winter games in South Korea, the timing issue may hurt their bid.

Madrid-I think Madrid will get it but the financial concerns could make it tricky.