2020: Who's the Frontrunner?

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the frontrunner in the 2020 race so far?

To conclude that from this article show a miss-knowledge of the Olympic Movement and host city election....

lol. thats another point :)

well wont it work june july euro, august and september olympics and paraliympics? already the stadiums are different. for euro Turk Telekom arena will be used. but olympic stadium is shared with 2.

dont know . but i prefer 2020 istanbul and expo izmir. in any case turkey can host euro champ later

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If, as looks likely, Turkey is the only candidate for Euro 2020 I'd find it impossible to believe their government would turn around to UEFA and say "actually, no, we don't want this". That'd be such

I think Turkey saying they want the European Championships and the Olympics will work against them. The IOC is not going to want a big show in town in June and the Olympics in August.

It's impossible for any country to stage the same year two major sport events such as Euro and the Olympic Games (and this has nothing to do with Turkey). It would create major challenges regarding ma

there is a key word inside of that speech... IOC see Istanbul as a hosting city concerning the diffculties .. thats how IOC see Istanbul at 2020 race. if no Euro 2020 im sure Istanbul will get the games after that little sentence.

Sorry, I don't understand this post, what part of the quotes suggest this?

Edited by RobH

there is a key word inside of that speech... IOC see Istanbul as a hosting city concerning the diffculties .. thats how IOC see Istanbul at 2020 race. if no Euro 2020 im sure Istanbul will get the games after that little sentence.

I couldn't disagree more. Swiss O is exactly right. This spells very, very big trouble for Istanbul.

Even if that wasn't the case, and Istanbul could persaude the IOC they are capable of hosting both over the next 15 months, why would the IOC go for it? Why would they have their event subsumed by a footall mad Turkey (and Turkey is properly football mad!) hosting its first major tournament?

As big as the Olympics are, I think they'd have trouble competing for attention amongst the Turkish populace if they're also hosting the Euros, not to mention sponsorship.

And those of us who will follow the Euros who aren't Turkish. Well, it'll just mean their Olympics loses its impact.

Nope, can't see this working at all.

Madrid, Tokyo and even (especially?) Doha must be rubbing their hands at all this.

Exactly.

It's not just a matter of stadia. It's money, sponsorships, competent organizers.

The best way to salvage this debacle is to say that Turkey is honored to host Euro 2020 and knows that they will gain valuable experience that will strengthen their next Olympic bid.

They still come out of this looking disorganized and unreliable. Not only is Turkey not going to get the 2020 Games, I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up waiting until 2036 or sometime in the 40's. Their credibility is shot.

If the IOC administration in Lausanne gives the green light to this notion, then Istanbul has 15 months to sell this unique prospect to the members.

Sounds like the IOC is open to the idea of Turkey hosting 2 events in 2020, as long as Turkey can convince the IOC how this will be done. Istanbul will have 15 months for this issue to cool down. Wow even better for Turkey. I originally thought Turkey would have to drop the Euro once/if they won the Olympics, but now it looks like they could be given the green light (from the IOC at least) to stage both.

My prediction- by September 2013, the issue of Turkey hosting 2 events will be no greater than the issue of Spain's economy or Doha's question marks.

Sounds like the IOC is open to the idea of Turkey hosting 2 events in 2020, as long as Turkey can convince the IOC how this will be done. Istanbul will have 15 months for this issue to cool down. Wow even better for Turkey. I originally thought Turkey would have to drop the Euro once/if they won the Olympics, but now it looks like they could be given the green light (from the IOC at least) to stage both.

My prediction- by September 2013, the issue of Turkey hosting 2 events will be no greater than the issue of Spain's economy or Doha's question marks.

That's SO not what I got out of the article. What you're reading is a statement of fact written by a journalist, not a statement from the IOC. The journalist reports that IOC members are privately concerned about Istanbul and feel it will be difficult "if not impossible" to stage both events.

IF the IOC accepts Turkey's argument (and that's a VERY big if according to the article), Turkey will have 15 months to make their case -- just like every other shortlisted bid. The likelihood of them doing that successfully is just about nil.

• Like 2

im an optimist :D

if someone tell me ina race " its never been done st like tht before not impossible but hard to handle. u need to convice me" i get im a tough and important racer and people needed to believe that i can make it both of dem. and they want me to approve it.

thts what i get from this article. If IOC really dont care about Istanbul and Turkey tht much they make us to choose one of dem but not a blur signal if we can make it both or not they r not sure.

wait and see it will be clearin Quebec.

I'm all for optimism, but this should be seen as a wake up call, not an invitation to make an unorthodox case.

i see the situation Istanbul suffering, just wanna believe the government backs its promise and fully support olympics. euro 2020 can kill both İstanbuls olympic dream and Izmirs expo application.

and i think its a movement of football federation towards the bribes between clubs inside the country and make people forget it ( what turks worst is we are lack of memory totally alhzeimer about our past) ...

İ know Istanbul, we can deal with 2 organizations in a year but not a month following 1 aftr the other.

+ the government doesnt give any guarantee for euro 2020 to EUFA yet

It's impossible for any country to stage the same year two major sport events such as Euro and the Olympic Games (and this has nothing to do with Turkey). It would create major challenges regarding management, resources (security for example, broadcast means), marketing (with potential conflict between the two events respective partners)....

Everybody knows that Turkey won't host both Euro 2020 and the 2020 Olympic Games and that, sooner or later, they will need to make a choice.

I wouldn't be surprised if Istanbul still makes the cut in Quebec City (simply because Euro 2020 won't have officially been awarded) but with some additional comments such as "the progress on Turkey's 2020 bid for the Euro will be taken into account in the further evaluation of Istanbul's bid".

• Like 3

That's SO not what I got out of the article. What you're reading is a statement of fact written by a journalist, not a statement from the IOC. The journalist reports that IOC members are privately concerned about Istanbul and feel it will be difficult "if not impossible" to stage both events.

IF the IOC accepts Turkey's argument (and that's a VERY big if according to the article), Turkey will have 15 months to make their case -- just like every other shortlisted bid. The likelihood of them doing that successfully is just about nil.

It was a "source close to the bidding process" that said that. Whether that source was an IOC official or a journalist, we don't know. We also don't know who said it would be "difficult, if not impossible" to stage both events. For all we know, it could be the Spanish contingent in the IOC. What we DO know is that the IOC has not come out and said staging two events in the same year is unacceptable, it only put the onus on the Turks to prove how it will be done.

This isn't Istanbul competing against itself. It's Istanbul competing against the 4 other bidders, and you only have to look at the weak field of candidates to see that this is in no way a dealbreaker for Istanbul.

It's impossible for any country to stage the same year two major sport events such as Euro and the Olympic Games (and this has nothing to do with Turkey). It would create major challenges regarding management, resources (security for example, broadcast means), marketing (with potential conflict between the two events respective partners)....

Everybody knows that Turkey won't host both Euro 2020 and the 2020 Olympic Games and that, sooner or later, they will need to make a choice.

I wouldn't be surprised if Istanbul still makes the cut in Quebec City (simply because Euro 2020 won't have officially been awarded) but with some additional comments such as "the progress on Turkey's 2020 bid for the Euro will be taken into account in the further evaluation of Istanbul's bid".

It wasn't too long ago everyone said it was a foregone conclusion a country like Brazil couldn't host the World Cup and the Olympics within 2 years.

It's not impossible for a country to stage two big events in the same summer. It's not ideal, but when the geopolitical stars align and a country ends up being a strong contender for both, it can be done.

I don't hear anyone saying who SHOULD host now. All I hear is chirping about how Istanbul is done for. What about Madrid, are they done for too, because of their own problems? Who is left? Just Tokyo? Somebody has to win. I'd agree that in a stronger race, this could just about kill Istanbul. I don't see it that way for 2020.

It was a "source close to the bidding process" that said that. Whether that source was an IOC official or a journalist, we don't know. We also don't know who said it would be "difficult, if not impossible" to stage both events. For all we know, it could be the Spanish contingent in the IOC. What we DO know is that the IOC has not come out and said staging two events in the same year is unacceptable, it only put the onus on the Turks to prove how it will be done.

This isn't Istanbul competing against itself. It's Istanbul competing against the 4 other bidders, and you only have to look at the weak field of candidates to see that this is in no way a dealbreaker for Istanbul.

It's absolutely a deal-breaker.

Pure Facts' points are dead on. Not only would the Euro kill Turkeys Olympic hopes, it would kill the hopes of any country trying to do both events. I actually don't think Istanbul's rivals have to do anything at all. However unintentional it may be, Turkey has sabotaged their own bid.

I think while I would agree with your points moreso, Gangwon, I would say that all of this lastest bidding debacle only strengthens Tokyo's 2020 even that much more than before (which was still even a good position for them).

I think at this point, the Japanese could be salivating at the propects that the 2020 Games could be theirs by "default", if you will. I bet they're just thanking their lucky stars that they deciding to bid afterall.

Now I'm all up in arms, (& I wonder if the South African Olympic Committee is feeling the same way now), that this could've been a perfectly winnable opportunity for them & they just let slip right through their fingers.

It wasn't too long ago everyone said it was a foregone conclusion a country like Brazil couldn't host the World Cup and the Olympics within 2 years.

Look at the level of security London is currently having to put on for the Olympics. £1bn in costs, troops called in, an aircraft carrier on the Thames etc. Stretch that our for the bulk of a year if you're hosting two major international events. And add up the extra costs too.

Look at the cost of the Games in terms of domestic sponsorship (£700m). The Euros will want a lot of that too. So you've got an automobile partner for the Games, you'll have to find one for the Euros too. And you think the merchandise for the Games will fly off the shelves once everyone has their Euro 2020 hats and vuvuzelas?

Look at the disruption in terms of travel etc. I've been to Istanbul and I wonder how it'll cope with Olympic crowds. A Euros a month earlier too? Wow.

Rio has two years to get ready between events. Turkey and Istanbul two months. The problem with this scenario isn't just the one Brazil faces (getting stuff built for both events), it has on top of that the problems of getting things turned around so quickly; the extra fanzones, overlay, security differences, transport, signage, sponsorship zones, hotels, campsites etc etc etc etc. No comarison, sorry.

And that's before we even get into the marketing and desirability of having both in the same country from the IOC and UEFA's point of view, and that of TV viewers. I can't believe anyone's actually entertaining the idea.

Edited by RobH

FYI, I totally agree that Tokyo is sitting pretty.

I doubt SA is too upset though. It seemed clear that their decision to forego 2020 was based on internal considerations with their own country rather than external worries about the possible competition. The government felt they had bigger fish to fry and wanted to focus the country's resources on higher priorities. I applaud them for refusing to be distracted by Olympic glitter. They will get the Games soon enough. Might as well get their house in order first.

I think while I would agree with your points moreso, Gangwon, I would say that all of this lastest bidding debacle only strengthens Tokyo's 2020 even that much more than before (which was still even a good position for them).

I think at this point, the Japanese could be salivating at the propects that the 2020 Games could be theirs by "default", if you will. I bet they're just thanking their lucky stars that they deciding to bid afterall.

Now I'm all up in arms, (& I wonder if the South African Olympic Committee is feeling the same way now), that this could've been a perfectly winnable opportunity for them & they just let slip right through their fingers.

Agree 100%. I think it's Tokyo's to lose, and all the better for me, as they are probably my personal favourite now that Rome is out. But I still see Istanbul as the #2 for now.

Yeah, there are probably a lot of cities that feel like this could've been theirs to win. Funny how they could all end up bidding for a jam-packed 2024 instead.

I have to say that as a Chicago supporter, I wrote often about WC 2014 and Rio's Olympic bid. It wasn't so much a question of whether they COULD do both. I was more concerned with the possibility that the Olympics would take a backseat. In my campaigning I emphasized that point. I never questioned whether both were possible.

There is a world of difference between two years and two months, however.

Look at the level of security London is currently having to put on for the Olympics. £1bn in costs, troops called in, an aircraft carrier on the Thames etc. Stretch that our for the bulk of a year if you're hosting two major international events. And add up the extra costs too.

Look at the cost of the Games in terms of domestic sponsorship (£700m). The Euros will want a lot of that too. So you've got an automobile partner for the Games, you'll have to find one for the Euros too. And you think the merchandise for the Games will fly off the shelves once everyone has their Euro 2020 hats and vuvuzelas?

Look at the disruption in terms of travel etc. I've been to Istanbul and I wonder how it'll cope with Olympic crowds. A Euros a month earlier too? Wow.

Rio has two years to get ready between events. Turkey and Istanbul two months. No comparison, sorry. And that's before we even get into the marketing and desirability of having both in the same country from the IOC and UEFA's point of view, and that of TV viewers. I can't believe anyone's actually entertaining the idea.

We're going to HAVE to entertain the idea because it's a possibility, whether anyone likes it or not. No one said it was ideal or easy. But it's silly and reckless to dismiss Istanbul completely at this point.

We're going to HAVE to entertain the idea because it's a possibility, whether anyone likes it or not. No one said it was ideal or easy. But it's silly and reckless to dismiss Istanbul completely at this point.

I think you're imagining that the IOC is far more daring, magnanimous and open-minded than they actually are. No way will they trust an over-extended Istanbul with their biggest prize when Tokyo is waiting.

We're going to HAVE to entertain the idea because it's a possibility

I suppose on an Olympic bidding forum like this talking in hypotheticals is fine. Nothing wrong with discussing the idea I suppose.

I suspect the reality would be quite different however, it's not as if the IOC doesn't have strong alternatives.

But it's silly and reckless to dismiss Istanbul completely at this point.

Yes but I think it's also silly, given that they're almost certainly going to host the Euros, to still maintain they're "#2" behind Tokyo. I really think Madrid, even with its problems (which will largely affect sponsorship and perception rather than on-the-ground deliverability), is in that #2 position now. Solidly.

For me. this "two events" notion is competing with Doha's "Olympics in the heat" for the idea the IOC needs most convincing of! I wonder if the IOC will now be asking for answers to a "supplementary question" from Istanbul? :P

Edited by RobH

I think you're imagining that the IOC is far more daring, magnanimous and open-minded than they actually are. No way will they trust an over-extended Istanbul with their biggest prize when Tokyo is waiting.

And what happens when some scandal or economic crash hits Tokyo months before the vote?

Btw some days ago Azerbaijan refused Georgian offer to launch joint bid for EURO 2020. Azerbaijan argumented it as a challenge at times when Baku is bidding for SOG 2020 so the country decided to concentrate on its olympic bid. I know it still does not give us high chances to win the race but at least it shows us as realiable partners for IOC.

• Like 2