2020: Who's the Frontrunner?

Soaring

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the frontrunner in the 2020 race so far?

and also I started to believe this whole euro-olympics conflict might be a strategy. if Istanbul is accepted as a candidate, football federation will retreat and government will focus on olympics and it'll show how much Istanbul wants the games. It may turn out as a persuasive argument for the upcoming presentations.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if that's their strategy (personally, I doubt it) it still makes them look a little sketchy and unreliable.

Although Istanbul could stage the Games, I'm starting to think the IOC won't want to work with them. This is not a repeat of Rio.

and also I started to believe this whole euro-olympics conflict might be a strategy. if Istanbul is accepted as a candidate, football federation will retreat and government will focus on olympics and it'll show how much Istanbul wants the games. It may turn out as a persuasive argument for the upcoming presentations.

If, as looks likely, Turkey is the only candidate for Euro 2020 I'd find it impossible to believe their government would turn around to UEFA and say "actually, no, we don't want this". That'd be such a stupid thing to do, and I'm not sure it'd make them look good in the IOC's eyes either.

If, as looks likely, Turkey is the only candidate for Euro 2020 I'd find it impossible to believe their government would turn around to UEFA and say "actually, no, we don't want this". That'd be such a stupid thing to do, and I'm not sure it'd make them look good in the IOC's eyes either.

Agree 100%

If Turkey is the sole bidder. They're hosting Euro 2020 and they're not hosting the Olympics. That's just the way it is.

If that happens, they might as well abort the Olympic bid. I wonder if this played into their decision to delay a logo. Perhaps they saw the handwriting on the wall....

All this points towards every city being shortlisted. The IOC isn't going to want a slim field of candidates.

But it's not Turkey's fault they're the only serious bidder for Euro 2020. I think it's silly for the IOC to penalize Turkey for having ambitions. I actually applaud Turkey for expressing interest in Euro 2020 because just in case they end up losing the 2020 Olympics, they have a consolation prize in the Euro. Looking at the field now for the 2020 Olympic race, there are so many candidates that could easily win this race but chose not to bid because they were scared off for one reason or another (Toronto, Chicago, Paris, Berlin, Durban to name a few). Turkey is being bold and proactive.

If I were Turkey, I'd take the position that I am interested in both, but if we win the bid for the 2020 Olympics, then that will become our priority. If Turkey happens to still be the only Euro 2020 bidder at that time, then we can either accept the hosting duties for Euro 2020 but don't expect anything fancy, or the UEFA can choose to find themselves another bidder. I'd make it clear from the start that Turkey is interested in both, but reserves the right to withdraw at any time circumstances change where changes are needed. And considering it's arguable the UEFA needs Turkey more than Turkey needs the UEFA for 2020 at this time, I think they'd understand.

I think they'd understand.

"Oh, guys, of course we want to host the Olympics, but we're too poor to make responsible decisions so we're in until we win the Euro bid as the only candidate and if we don't win, well, just give us your vote so that we can realise our plan that wasn't weven worth the shortlist a few years ago and let UEFA find another host."

Wow, I just can feel the IOC's excitement 'bout this nice attitude...

"Oh, guys, of course we want to host the Olympics, but we're too poor to make responsible decisions so we're in until we win the Euro bid as the only candidate and if we don't win, well, just give us your vote so that we can realise our plan that wasn't weven worth the shortlist a few years ago and let UEFA find another host."

Wow, I just can feel the IOC's excitement 'bout this nice attitude...

The Olympic host will be chosen before the Euro, which works well for Turkey since it seems they prefer the Olympics. It's not about making responsible decisions, it's about not putting all your eggs in one basket. So in order to try getting the Olympics, Turkey shouldn't bother bidding for the Euro at all? And when Tokyo/Madrid wins, Turkey ends up with nothing? That would be just wonderful for the Turks.

If the IOC is smart, they won't concern themselves with how Turkey handles their Euro bid after the IOC vote is done. Frankly, it's none of the IOC's business whether Turkey decides to withdraw from Euro 2020 if Istanbul ends up getting the Olympics. Platini might not like it, but it's not like Turkey feels the need to do Platini any favours. :rolleyes:

The Olympic host will be chosen before the Euro, which works well for Turkey since it seems they prefer the Olympics. It's not about making responsible decisions, it's about not putting all your eggs in one basket. So in order to try getting the Olympics, Turkey shouldn't bother bidding for the Euro at all? And when Tokyo/Madrid wins, Turkey ends up with nothing? That would be just wonderful for the Turks.

If the IOC is smart, they won't concern themselves with how Turkey handles their Euro bid after the IOC vote is done. Frankly, it's none of the IOC's business whether Turkey decides to withdraw from Euro 2020 if Istanbul ends up getting the Olympics. Platini might not like it, but it's not like Turkey feels the need to do Platini any favours. :rolleyes:

Unless Turkey is the only bidder, in which case Euro 2020 will be decided first.

According to this article neither UEFA nor the IOC are thrilled with Turkey's handling of this. I think they understandably feel both ends are being played against the middle. These contests are all about perception and I think the perception of Turkey is that they don't know what they're doing, can't make up their minds, are non-committal and hedging their bets.

Oops. Forgot the link. Here ya go: http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2020/16744-german-decision-not-to-bid-for-euro-2020-spells-bad-news-for-istanbul-olympic-campaign

Yeah, but if the orgs want to pull the prima donna card, then they should spell it out that if you bid for A's plum, you CANNOT be in the running for B's event so close to A's event. Turkey isn't breaking any rules per se in bidding for both. They are just hedging their bets and they have said they will drop one for the other.

According to this article neither UEFA nor the IOC are thrilled with Turkey's handling of this. I think they understandably feel both ends are being played against the middle. These contests are all about perception and I think the perception of Turkey is that they don't know what they're doing, can't make up their minds, are non-committal and hedging their bets.

Oops. Forgot the link. Here ya go: http://www.insidethe...lympic-campaign

You do not know what's going on behind close doors, so you cannot base your opinion on whether the IOC is unhappy or not based on one article..I really dont think the IOC is concerned what Turkey does, they will judge the bid based on its merits, not on feeling betrayed or upset because of another sporting bid

You do not know what's going on behind close doors, so you cannot base your opinion on whether the IOC is unhappy or not based on one article..I really dont think the IOC is concerned what Turkey does, they will judge the bid based on its merits, not on feeling betrayed or upset because of another sporting bid

Not when Euro is so close to the Olympics. Do you think the IOC isn't going to mind sharing the stage with another major event taking place within approximately 2 months of the Olympics? Do you think that Turkey, a relatively untried host who has never staged an event as large as the Euro, much less the Olympics, has any chance of pulling off BOTH events within a matter of months?

I think Istanbul's Olympic bid is losing credibility at an alarming rate.

Not when Euro is so close to the Olympics. Do you think the IOC isn't going to mind sharing the stage with another major event taking place within approximately 2 months of the Olympics? Do you think that Turkey, a relatively untried host who has never staged an event as large as the Euro, much less the Olympics, has any chance of pulling off BOTH events within a matter of months?

I think Istanbul's Olympic bid is losing credibility at an alarming rate.

Is that any worse than QATAR having the Olympics and the WORLD CUP in a matter of 2 years? I'd be more comfortable having Turkey stage the Olympics and the Euro, even if it's a matter of months.

Boy, I can just see it now. Rome drops out, Madrid economy in the dumps, Istanbul shoots itself in the foot, Tokyo is out-lobbied by Doha, and voila, Doha wins the vote.

This makes out for several interesting scenarios.

1) Could this give the IOC an excuse not to except Turkey onto the short-list.

2) Like the article mentioned, UEFA has said that Turkey would get the 2020 tournament by "default" if no other bidders come forward. So when would the UEFA do this? Right after their intial deadline of May 15th, or wait as schedule 'til early 2014.

3) The article also said that Azerbaijan & Georgia R considering a joint bid. So R the Azeris also playing the same type of event game as the Turks. Would the IOC then just nix them both bcuz of it.

N lastly, 4) Does all this event "gambling" by Turkey (& looks like Azerbaijan, too) help Doha's bid?! Gasp!

Too bad that Turkey didn't wind-up with Euro 2016. Cuz then I think that would've put them in the drivers seat of their 2020 Olympic campaign. But the way things R unraveling now, it's seems very perplexing, to say the least.

I

Boy, I can just see it now. Rome drops out, Madrid economy in the dumps, Istanbul shoots itself in the foot, Tokyo is out-lobbied by Doha, and voila, Doha wins the vote.

You forget that the IOC 2013 host, Argentina, also just pulled a big diplomatic faux pas. I think Baku might just win this.

This makes out for several interesting scenarios.

1) Could this give the IOC an excuse not to except Turkey onto the short-list.

2) Like the article mentioned, UEFA has said that Turkey would get the 2020 tournament by "default" if no other bidders come forward. So when would the UEFA do this? Right after their intial deadline of May 15th, or wait as schedule 'til early 2014.

3) The article also said that Azerbaijan & Georgia R considering a joint bid. So R the Azeris also playing the same type of event game as the Turks. Would the IOC then just nix them both bcuz of it.

N lastly, 4) Does all this event "gambling" by Turkey (& looks like Azerbaijan, too) help Doha's bid?! Gasp!

Too bad that Turkey didn't wind-up with Euro 2016. Cuz then I think that would've put them in the drivers seat of their 2020 Olympic campaign. But the way things R unraveling now, it's seems very perplexing, to say the least.

1) That's what I expect.

2) I'm sure UEFA would like to do this just on May 15th, but they need the governmential guarantees first.

3) There are indeed speculations, but the fact that Turkey bids makes them the only reasonable "new horizon" now and so it helps them when Istanbul drops out.

4) As I think Azerbaijan won't bid for the Euro, let's assume no.

But Azerbaijan is not a "reasonable" new-horizon for the Olympics, though. While Turkey is, just like the Euro would be. Turkey is also almost 10x's the size of Azerbaijan. I'd still would give Turkey the edge in many categories bcuz of such.

Reuters just published this:

http://mobile.reuter...120506?irpc=932

The IOC met behind closed doors with Istanbul's bid leaders. Although the IOC has made no public comment, there have been privately voiced concerns that it will be difficult "if not impossible" for Turkey to stage both events.

there is a key word inside of that speech... IOC see Istanbul as a hosting city concerning the diffculties .. thats how IOC see Istanbul at 2020 race. if no Euro 2020 im sure Istanbul will get the games after that little sentence.

there is a key word inside of that speech... IOC see Istanbul as a hosting city concerning the diffculties .. thats how IOC see Istanbul at 2020 race. if no Euro 2020 im sure Istanbul will get the games after that little sentence.

To conclude that from this article show a miss-knowledge of the Olympic Movement and host city election....

Reuters just published this:

http://mobile.reuter...120506?irpc=932

The IOC met behind closed doors with Istanbul's bid leaders. Although the IOC has made no public comment, there have been privately voiced concerns that it will be difficult "if not impossible" for Turkey to stage both events.

Even if that wasn't the case, and Istanbul could persaude the IOC they are capable of hosting both over the next 15 months, why would the IOC go for it? Why would they have their event subsumed by a footall mad Turkey (and Turkey is properly football mad!) hosting its first major tournament?

As big as the Olympics are, I think they'd have trouble competing for attention amongst the Turkish populace if they're also hosting the Euros, not to mention sponsorship.

And those of us who will follow the Euros who aren't Turkish. Well, it'll just mean their Olympics loses its impact.

Nope, can't see this working at all.

Madrid, Tokyo and even (especially?) Doha must be rubbing their hands at all this.

Archived