2020: Who's the Frontrunner?

Soaring

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the frontrunner in the 2020 race so far?

thats surprising baku has 2nd lowest population of them all

youd think tokyo would be higher

No wonder if Tokyo just in 5th place for facebook, i think Japan, Korean and China have their local social network site that more popular than facebook, like mixi in Japan, daum in Korean and kaixin001 in China

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No wonder if Tokyo just in 5th place for facebook, i think Japan, Korean and China have their local social network site that more popular than facebook, like mixi in Japan, daum in Korean and kaixin001 in China

That's what I thought may have been the reason. I guess it's reflective in the lack of Japanese on here.

• 3 weeks later...

5 cities seeking 2020 Olympics make pitch at national Olympic committees meeting

MOSCOW — The five cities seeking to host the 2020 summer Olympics made presentations to heads of national Olympic committees on Saturday.

The presentations by Tokyo, Madrid, Istanbul, Doha, Qatar and Baku, Azerbaijan to the Association of National Olympic Committees offered a glimpse of their visions for the games.

The 10-minute presentations were not long enough for significant technical or financial detail, but showed what each city considers its strengths and hinted at what some may consider weaknesses.

The IOC’s executive committee will decide in late May whether to keep all the applicant cities as candidates or whether to narrow the field. The International Olympic Committee will pick the winning city in September 2013.

Doha confronted two issues head-on: inclusion of women and desert temperatures.

Qatar is sending female athletes to the Olympics for the first time this summer, and the 2020 bid presentation took considerable pains to emphasize that holding the Olympics in Doha would improve conditions for women competitors throughout the Middle East.

“It will enhance and grow women’s sports across the region,” Sheikh Tamim said.

Searing summer temperatures in the desert emirate make even mild activity tiring, so Doha wants to run the summer games Oct. 2-18 and the Paralympics in November.

“You can say we have finally taken the heat out of the Doha heat issue,” said national Olympic committee head Sheikh Tamim in Hamad Al-Thani.

Azerbaijan, like Qatar a predominantly Muslim country, also touted the opportunities for women in the Baku bid. Baku played up the appeal of the former Soviet republic, with bid communications director Narguiz Birk-Petersen calling it “one of the world’s oldest but little-known cultures.”

While Baku bragged about its proximity to Asia, just across the Caspian Sea, Istanbul also played its trump card on location.

“It is a unique opportunity to celebrate the games on two continents,” said Hasan Arat, vice president of the national Olympic committee.

Istanbul, despite its notorious traffic jams, promised a maximum 20 minutes of travel time between the competition venues, which would be in four clusters, and noted that the city is in the midst of a $16 billion mass transit upgrade.

Tokyo, another densely crowded city, promised an even tighter concentration, with 28 of 31 venues in two clusters a maximum 5 miles from the seaside athlete village. Madrid and Doha also offered tightly concentrated plans, with venues within circles of 6 and 9 miles.

Tokyo bid chairman also noted that the city is “totally safe.”

The huge financial burden of staging the summer games prompted reassurances from several of the cities that their national economies could handle it. Madrid did not address the issue of the troubled Spanish economy and Doha also left the issue unmentioned, possibly assuming the country is already well-known for having the world’s highest GDP per capita.

http://www.washingto...e9GT_story.html

Well the first Bid Index may come soon, taking this elements they exposed at Moscow and what we've seen Tokyo is still leading the competition perhaps...

But the Facebook isn't too reliable... I mean i don't have Facebook anymore :P let's find out how many followers does each bid has in TW!

I can't wait to see the shortlist in May. I know it is hard to predict whether we are in or out for the next round but regardless to the result I really believe in our potential and that we will stick to our plans and do our best for further developments of sports in Azerbaijan. Whatever happens I am proud that Baku 2020 did a great job and came with a totally different approach this time.

I can't wait to see the shortlist in May. I know it is hard to predict whether we are in or out for the next round but regardless to the result I really believe in our potential and that we will stick to our plans and do our best for further developments of sports in Azerbaijan. Whatever happens I am proud that Baku 2020 did a great job and came with a totally different approach this time.

What a fantastic attitude. I wish you and Baku all the best!

• 2 weeks later...

The shortlist selection is going to be interesting this time around.

I am pretty confident that Istanbul and Doha will be listed, but I am on the fence about whether Baku will be or not.

The shortlist selection is going to be interesting this time around.

I am pretty confident that Istanbul and Doha will be listed, but I am on the fence about whether Baku will be or not.

Hmmm. I dunno. Baku's been the plucky surprise packet in this race for me. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get through now. Indeed, I'm expecting all five to make it now - though I imagine in the final report there'll be some caveats about Doha's and Baku's risks.

Tokyo and perhaps Istanbul are still the only two realistic contenders to win IMO.

Only 4 of the bids deserve to progress, I suggest the IOC drops Doha.

Except, I can't see them NOT making the technical bar. If/when they lose, it's politics that will kill them (with maybe climate as an excuse), NOT technical score - and the shortlist is the pure technical phase.

My expectation of the technical score rankings would be:

Tokyo & Madrid - comfortably in the lead

Doha & Baku - meeting the benchmark

Istanbul - should make the benchmark, but (like Rio for 2016) trailing the rest.

I think they'll all make it, Doha wont win for a few more times but they have one big thing in their favour, MONEY! Yes might not be enough

Oh, I'm sure they have more than enough to pay for it ten times over if they wanted. Still won't win it for them.

Oh, I'm sure they have more than enough to pay for it ten times over if they wanted. Still won't win it for them.

I know they won't win 2020 basically guarenteed but i'm sure in the future when they air condition every stadium and win some more medals they might be considered. Hopefully they go well at London

Is it wrong that I am basically insisting on strict neutrality on the race so far?

I will admit to having some preferences on the race, but quite honestly, even with the big support Tokyo is getting, I just do not see a clear favorite. At least, not yet. This is truly a race where cities you'd think would be laughed out of the IOC meetings might stay in just to keep the race interesting. Yes, I think even Baku has a chance of being short-listed. I have yet to hear a definate reason to disallow the city, as yet.

I think until I see the short list, I will hold my tongue and my vote. I'm interested, but not yet ready to commit.

Quite Frankly at this point in time most roads lead to Tokyo however I think the chances of a shocker is more likely to happen than Tokyo winning if you understand what I mean.

Shocker, like an Istanbul victory? I can feel something like that happening too, where Tokyo go in as favourties and Istanbul steal the show.

Really? I'd say Istanbul is looking less and less likely by the day as long as no other countries are bidding for the Euros.

euro champ candidature is not yet approved by the government yet... the football federation can dismiss after quebec olympic meeting

Archived