2020: Who's the Frontrunner?

Soaring

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the frontrunner in the 2020 race so far?

I think it's nonsense complaining about Madrid's and Rome's debt while seeing Tokyo as an economic giant: Japan has the highest debt if you relate it to its GDP (about 233%, number 2 is Greece with about 165%) and the second highest as an absolute number...

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting point, munichfan.

I'm no economist, but it's very interesting that Japan doesn't seem to be worrying anyone. Their creditors seem content. No one questions their ability to follow through. Whether that is correct or not, perception counts for more than reality in Olympic bids.

Interesting point, munichfan.

I'm no economist, but it's very interesting that Japan doesn't seem to be worrying anyone. Their creditors seem content. No one questions their ability to follow through. Whether that is correct or not, perception counts for more than reality in Olympic bids.

Japanese are the highest savers in the world of their money thats probably why.

It's a little boring to me because there's no American bid, or controversies just yet. At least it is not as boring as the 2018 Winter bids.

The question of whether Rome will drop out has been interesting though...

I'm sure things will at least start to become a bit more interesting in the months ahead. The IOC's decision to limit the time for bids to market themselves internationally might make things drag a little though.

Also, we don't get many active members from Japan on the forums, so it is always a little harder getting the inside scoop on their bid. Not a good thing for us since they will be in a stronger position this cycle, and there aren't as many bids to follow.

I actually hope Doha is shortlisted, because at least we can see some interesting renders, and hopefully they can stir in some controversies to spice things up.

Hmmm. I haven't been particularly glued to this race yet, but I have to admit I'm starting to get quite intrigued specifically because there ISN'T an obvious frontrunner. It really does seem to be one of the most wide open in ages, and i do think each of the entrants does have a certain glamour appeal.

Dosn't bother me really that there's no Oz bid, or any other I'd get emotionally involved with. I find it really yard to set feelings aside and make objective judgements when I really want one or the other to do well.

Bid books, schmid books! I think the campaigning will decide this one. Ask me in May 2013 who's leading.

Well, at least we'll see if Istanbul's venue plan is compact (which will be really determinant) :P but we are far too see a frontrunner...

Well, at least we'll see if Istanbul's venue plan is compact (which will be really determinant) :P but we are far too see a frontrunner...

Even then, as long as Istanbul makes the short list, I doubt it will matter how compact or not the bid is. Once its made the short list, it's open slather to decide for any reason, technical or emotional.

Istanbul was criticized for its Olympic Stadium for being far right?

And Rio faced a fair few criticisms/questions regarding its stadium plans and general social issues. Technical aspects go well onto the backburner once the business end of campaigning starts.

And Rio faced a fair few criticisms/questions regarding its stadium plans and general social issues. Technical aspects go well onto the backburner once the business end of campaigning starts.

Normally that's totally true. I wonder if it will be the case for this race though. All the bids can make emotional pleas, but nobody seems to have an emotional trump card. This race could pay more attention to technical merit than any other on recent memory. Then again, it could be all about politicking and backroom deals and technical merit be damned....

Istanbul was criticized for its Olympic Stadium for being far right?

well i passed infrnt of the Ataturk Olympic Stadium yesterday after 2 years... what can i say, the city gets the whole village park inside, 10s of residentail buildings many many malls hospitals markets building and builded in that period. i cant say its aout of city anymore. and the metro and highway connections built to reach there too.

well i passed infrnt of the Ataturk Olympic Stadium yesterday after 2 years... what can i say, the city gets the whole village park inside, 10s of residentail buildings many many malls hospitals markets building and builded in that period. i cant say its aout of city anymore. and the metro and highway connections built to reach there too.

Hopefully it doesn;t bring down an Istanbul bid. Go Istanbul!

This is my first Olympic race on here but i'm excited for this one!

It's such a competition!

Everyones disregarding Doha and Baku but Romes are having economic problems. Apparently japan is too?

And madrid said in there bid plan there not making it about the money (or something like that) which is a huge turn off for the IOC + they are in economic trouble.

there's so many different pro's and con's with each city that there is no clear front runner and no clear order

i mean Istanbul is looking great but apparently there bid plan is too far out

I don't know who will win, if everyone will be a candidate city, if Rome will pull out or not, bring it on!

Ladies and gentlemen, Rome is done. I firmly believe they will not bid on one ground. If they bid they would have to win in order to make make spending all of that money to bid worth it. This isn't like a Madrid or Rio or Tokyo or Pyeongchang scenario where they did these starter bids to get a feel for the Ioc and to strengthen later bids, they have to win or it will be very hard to explain the spending of that money. I feel this is the reason why the government is taking pause on the decision. Spending money and losing to bid on one of the most, if not the most expensive event in the world while your country is embarking on austerity measures is not a good the wisest decision to have made in hindsight I actually applaud the PM for really taking time to assess the situation.

If Monti says "yes" it'll mean there are government guaruntees around costs. They're working out before they bid whether they've got government support and only going ahead if they have. That's entirely sensible.

This isn't like Prague 2016, who went ahead, found out they had no government support and were subsequently not shortlisted.

Archived