2020: Who's the Frontrunner?

Soaring

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the frontrunner in the 2020 race so far?

If this is true then it only comes from one person and there is no even proof for that so for me it is only blah blah... I suppose his subjective opinion is not worthier than the positive feedback given by the head of AIBA. Plus AIBA in general has never officially announced anything negative about the tournament in Baku.

Baku is in fifth it is a fact, and that 2011 WC did not help its cause.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

80% of installations completed, end of terrorism, new anti-dopingagency, third and fourth followed by participation in history,beautiful weather, Olympic passion, economy?, Okay, but here at7 years has to improve security, trust in Madrid

80% of installations completed, end of terrorism, new anti-doping agency, third and fourth followed by participation in history,beautiful weather, Olympic passion, economy?, Okay, but here at 7 years has to improve security, trust in Madrid

The situation is really clear as the pool indicates! Tokyo is the frontrunner! Follwed by Madrid and Istanbul, Rome it depoends if they bid or the don't... Doha and Baku i don't think so :S but remember Tokyo always makes a strong start...

I think the flip flops and the hawaiian necklace, (Madrid and Tokyo) both suck :( i prefer Baku's one... Hope Doha or Rome make a better one, i don't have too much expectations with Istanbul, it will be a lot like their past ones... :(

So dissapointed with Rome doubting in wether bid or not, it is my favorite city in this process. But the truth is maybe Istanbul will be the front runner, Tokyo too soon for Asia since 2018, Madrid and Rome crisis, Doha the bribery scandal, Baku "a well keeped secret".

It would be foolish to discount Tokyo merely bcuz of PyeongChang 2018. Those R Winter Games anyway. The IOC has come close twice before on awarding Asia back-to-back Asian winter/summer Games. So obviously they R not totally opposed against such an Olympic scenario.

And if Rome does indeed drop out, then that could just reinforce Tokyo's stance in the race, since Italy N other European countries will want to take aim at 2024.

Istanbul is still a question mark at this point. But perhaps their mini bid book will shine more light into their potential.

why is baku ahead of doha? they have less sporting expirience then doha, doha has had asian games and will have fifa at least...

Ahead or behind, I can only show you with some facts instead of subjective opinion.

Azerbaijan took part in several Olympic games with delegation of some 40 athletes (lately 44 in Beijing 2008) and won a number of good medals of all categories (lately 1 gold, 3 sylver and 3 bronze in Beijing 2008). We plan some 50 athletes to London 2012 (currently we have 29 licenses in 13 kinds of sports).

The fact Azerbaijan hosted fewer sport events is that the country has a shorter independence period though when it had its first democratic republic in 1918-1920 no other country with predominantly muslim population had anything close prior to that time. And even though, Azerbaijan hosted several world and european championships in rhytmic gymnastics, wrestling, boxing, taekwondo and different kind og gran-prix and tournaments in tennis, voleyball etc. Maybe for some of you that is not much but this year Baku is hosting Eurovision Song Contest 2012, most of the games and the final of FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup and Final Four of CEV Champions League.

Azerbaijan pays much attention to sports. First, the country is constructing and renovating smaller-size sport venues and sport schools all over the country. Then it improves the sport infrastructure by a realization of a number of the ladnmark type of sport venues such as Olympic-size Stadium, Indoor Arena, Gymnastics Arena, Aquatics Complex etc.

In conclusion I could agree that despite to the fact Baku 2020 bid is much better than of 2016, it still lacks some points. But those obstacles are temporary and with every new bid the city gonna be stronger and stronger. For now the minimum aim is to be shortlisted, for future definitely to host the Olympic Games.

p.s. I am the only Azerbaijani here and I gave my vote to Istanbul this is just fyi :rolleyes:

i accept and understand, its very reasonable and makes alot of sense, baku has flaws and so does doha, doha does have a small population and doesnt have alot of athletes and pasting medals so yeah i dont know whos winning, its so confusing!!! haha

Doha's technical better and in past events experience, but in terms of sport culture, climate and a legacy Baku's winning over Doha in that sense...

Intresting the 2020 race, even the underdogs are in a tight competition :lol:

What about the critical relationship to Israel or those long ways between the venues?

Critical relations to Israel? Well in this case many countries have no right to host any championships or even Olympics since many have bad relations with each other. Important is to guarantee security for the team of a country you are in bad relations which I am sure Turkey is going to give to Israel.Then I see no problem.

As for long distance between venues. Do you mean the venues of Madrid or Rome or Tokyo are built nearby? I am sure there is the same problem in all the big cities and from the ones I named especially in Tokyo. If one city needs everything to be located in one district then it should built most of the things from zero for making it a perfect Olympic village (the way Sochi 2014 does it now)

I think it's anybody's game besides Baku and Doha. It's obvious why the majority are saying Tokyo is the favourite considering the economic hardships with Italy and Spain. I believe Istanbul is the darkhorse and definitely could surprise. We're just gonna have to wait and see how their bid develops.

Archived