2020: Who's the Frontrunner?

Soaring

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the frontrunner in the 2020 race so far?

I think Rome's goose is cooked. Politically, it is a hot potato in a troubled times. Sure, the Olympics can spin up economic activity. But it can also create massive public debt. And that's one of Italy's biggest problems. They'll look at Athens and they'll look at Beijing. The Greeks are in a major crisis and no doubt the Olympics contributed to it. The Chinese threw lavish games, but they can afford it. Can Italy? Not now.

My bet on the early fave? Istanbul.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will analyze the pros and cons of each candidate:

-Roma -Historical City, with great influence in the moderno-Capital world of a country which loves sport - already organized a few Olympics in 1960 -Member of PIGS and possible resignation--l organizing games 1 time

Bakú Pro - his eccentric President can get were what is proposed in 7 years, its economy emergent :-very little experience in organizing events with Eurovision 2012 deportivos-Si nor can, with a few games much menos-Your polemic with the selection Spanish Olympic Hockey, wars with countries

Madrid:+ - 80% close ending infrastructure, end of terrorism of ETA, major trump card wielded against 2005-experience in organizing sporting events -Third followed candidacy,:-Member of PIGS — not achieved political unanimity on the candidatura

Tokyo:pro:-the great Japanese ability in organization of any thing-London-Rio-Tokyo...-Paris 2024?Against: - In a neighbouring country 2018 Olympic Games - already organized games and another city in your country also in 1998 - his failure to attempt the 2016

Doha:+:-high capacity business-Olympics in an arab country country: zero organization in sports-country events very little-Very Hot-No Olympic tradition-rights human very poor

Istambul+:-City and country emergente-Unos games between Europe and Asia :-boycott by countries.-little tradition in organization of events sports-Decision which would be very risky by the IOC after Rio 2016

That you think?

It seems you are very sceptical from the very start. If you dislike or have a negative feeling about the city or the country that does not give you any right to shout "All" as an answer to my questions

For example, be the first country to not automatically the Organization of Eurovision in history, second its policy of repression towards gays, in third his problems with Armenia, fourth little freedom of expresion, fifth security concerns recognised by their own Government, recommending not go out at night....

And sorry for my English writing, it is not at all good, try to gradually improve it, but seen the Spanish level of English

For example, be the first country to not automatically the Organization of Eurovision in history, second its policy of repression towards gays, in third his problems with Armenia, fourth little freedom of expresion, fifth security concerns recognised by their own Government, recommending not go out at night....

And sorry for my English writing, it is not at all good, try to gradually improve it, but seen the Spanish level of English

Well maybe it is a bit offtop but here are the answers:

1. The first reason you named is unclear. What does the "first not automatical organisator" mean???

2. There is no policy of repression towards gays. The latest laws against homosexualism were abolished in 90th. I agree that LGBT society is not as open as in Western countries yet t is still a frontier in Islamic world. Another issue is when society doesn't tolerate it much but again there are still people who openly say they are gays and the ones who act gayish nobody touches them. Our officials openly tell that Azerbaijan welcomes everyone regardless to his/her race, nation and sexual orientation and that is also what our Constitution says - everyone has the same rights.

3. Problems with Armenia occured due to agressive policy of the last which still keeps about 20% of the coutntry under occupation. There is no ongoing war but peaceful negotiations within Minsk Group of OSCE which we hope will bring us a peaceful solution for the conflict in Nagorno Karabakh. Armenia has confirmed its participation at ESC and even before they took part in different political, cultural and sport events in Baku with the latest AIBA World Boxing Championship where Armenia was represented with a delegation of 15 persons.

4. Little freedom of expression? Perhaps it looks different in comparison to the Western countries but again... we have a separate law on abolition of censorship, we have opposition and oppositional media. If you are interested I can give you some links. Besides the most popular newspaper in Azerbaijan is Yeni Musavat http://www.musavat.com (for online version), an oppositional newspaper writing **** about the government. It is in Azeri so you can check by using Google Translator.. Also during ESC the contest will be attended by some 1200 media representatives who will do their job. Nobody is going to stop them for writing and publishing negative things.

4. There is no security problems. Azerbaijan is not a country where terror acts occured on a constant basis and you can freely walk on the streets of the cities at late times. No fear for foreigners! As for Eurovision, Azerbaijani Prime-Minister provided security guarantees to EBU for all the 43 participating nations.

Tnx for attention!

However the AIBA worlds last year were a disaster.

Why you call AIBA Boxing Championship a disaster? I am not very well informed but from the problems I have heard were 1) news regarding the Armenian participants which was published by an oppositional newspaper in Azerbaijan and then also by some Armenian media but it came out lie since even Armenian delegation rejected those rumours to be true; 2) they were going to make an opening ceremony at Serhedchi Sport Center and the games at Heydar Aliyev Sport and Exhibition Complex but later moved the opening ceremony also to the Sport and Exhibition Complex... I think that is all what I know.

I would place Tokyo and Madrid as the early favorites by a small margin over the rest, but only small, with Istanbul being the true dark horse.

Frankly speaking for me Istanbul is not a dark horse but a pure favourite for 2020 race. Their chances seem to be higher than of the rest

Why you call AIBA Boxing Championship a disaster? I am not very well informed but from the problems I have heard were 1) news regarding the Armenian participants which was published by an oppositional newspaper in Azerbaijan and then also by some Armenian media but it came out lie since even Armenian delegation rejected those rumours to be true; 2) they were going to make an opening ceremony at Serhedchi Sport Center and the games at Heydar Aliyev Sport and Exhibition Complex but later moved the opening ceremony also to the Sport and Exhibition Complex... I think that is all what I know.

A key AIBA official and a person I believe with IOC connections called it disastrous.

Are they making the decision tomorrow, or by "Friday" do they mean next Friday?

I couldn't tell by the article when they said "Friday" when they should've said "tomorrow"

Well, to answer my own question, PM Mario Monti is meeting Obama in Washington on Thurs the 9th. So I guess "Friday" means tomorrow... Sigh.. this race is gonna suck if they drop out.

I thought the GB news article was pretty specific about the timeframe. But yeah, it would suck if they dropped out.

But while they may be looking at the Greeks N the lavish party that the Chinese threw, Rome isn't proposing anything even remotely close to what the Chinese spent. Beijing's spending-spree was an anomaly that we may never see again anytime soon. At least in the summer category, cuz we know Sochi is going to be the winter version of Beijing. Rome has nearly everything in place. Their expense will mainly be logistics N security.

And a lot of Athens' expense was their delays n waiting to the last minute to get everything done on time at a 24/7 pace by the time the Games were close. That was their own fault. Plus Greece has a much smaller economy than Italy. If Rome withdraw now, I just can't see them getting another good shot, like they have now, until at least another decade. N I hope that they realize if they do ever want to host the Summer Olympics again. Cuz 2024 may look like the competition could be very difficult.

Hmmm. Dunno that I agree with the above. I think this race is a different animal. Turkey doesn't have the IOC clout that Brazil did. Japan doesn't have the baggage of the US. Turkey is not "the happiest country on earth." It doesn't have Brazil's size or sporting prowess. Plus Rio followed rock-solid London. Istanbul has to follow unproven Rio. Add in the economy, more time since Beijing for Tokyo, the fact that Tokyo took a leap of faith at Rogge's urging, believing they had a shot despite PC 2018 -- all these factors make for a very different race.

A key AIBA official and a person I believe with IOC connections called it disastrous.

If this is true then it only comes from one person and there is no even proof for that so for me it is only blah blah... I suppose his subjective opinion is not worthier than the positive feedback given by the head of AIBA. Plus AIBA in general has never officially announced anything negative about the tournament in Baku.

Archived