Name major sport events London hosted

Incidentally...

What major sporting events had Athens hosted in the previous 10 years to it's Olympic bid?

And, incidentally, don't forget that we've just had almost 500,000 spectators at Wimbledon over the last 2 weeks and we do that every year without any problem (467,188 to be precise).

And, incidentally, at the IAAF championships in Paris in 2003, they ALSO had roughly 500,000 spectators at that event.

Exactly. Now it's time there WAS one!

Of course, London hosts a lot of well-known sporting events throughout the year, but it's the big one that's needed!

So, let's start:

1. Olympic Games 2004

2. IAAF World Championships 1997

3. Mediterranean Games 1991

4. World Basketball Championships 1995

5. Mistral World Championships 2001

6. World Basketball Championships junior (2 times)

7. 1995 Pan European Basketball championship

8. 2002 World Championships female wrestling

9. 1999 World Weightlifting Championships.

10. 5TH FINA WORLD SWIMMING CHAMPIONSHIPS 2000

and a number of other smaller paneuropean events...

--------------

The question was just a question. It has nothing to do that UK doesn't have so much experience as the other 4 cities have in organizing sport events.

Wimbledon every year

British Grand Prix every year

Five nations Rugby every year

Euro 1996

World Student Games – Sheffield 1991

Commonwealth Games 2002 Manchester

World indoor Athletics Champs – Birmingham 2003

World Snooker Champs – Sheffield every year

World Rowing Champs Eton 2005?

Rugby World Cup 1991

Rugby World Cup 1999

Cricket World Cup 1999

Womens Euro 2005 - Manchester

I think Manchester has also hosted a world/european cycling champs and aworld squash champs in the last few years.

Isn't basketball a major sport event?

---------

The fact remains that UK didn't host events with a large number of athletes compared to the other candidates.

----------

Anyway, good luck (although you'll use it next time!)  :upside:

But you can't compare rugby with a FIFA world cup. Right?

Re RWC: Its not as big as a football world cup, however it is still a very large, "big occassion", event which is followed right around the world from Argentina to Canada to Italy to Japan to Australia. I realise you probably don't have much/any exposure to it in Greece though.  :)

Of course we don't know rugby. We were never occupied by the British!  :wwww:

Neither was Japan or France or Italy.....

I supose you were too busy dealing with the Turks...or the Germans. It must be awful to have such a sorry history at the hands of other nations....you have my sincere symapthies.

Isn't basketball a major sport event?

---------

The fact remains that UK didn't host events with a large number of athletes compared to the other candidates.

----------

Anyway, good luck (although you'll use it next time!)  :upside:

The world junior basketball championships and female wrestling most definetely are not major sporting events, which can sit alongside the olympics, wimbledon, the FIFA world cup.

The fact remains that you don't have to have hosted hundreds of sporting events to win an olympic bid- we've been through this hundreds of times.

If olympic bids were awarded to cities with most hosting experience and the most existing facilties then places like Kuala Lumpar would have made the short list in the 2008 olympic race, Paris would have beaten Beijing and Toronto to win the 2008 race also, as the city had just hosted the world cup final (compared to a less important Asian games in Beijing 1990).

Seville hosted the 1999 world athletics championship, they had an existing stadium, but still the city did not make the short list.

Bangkok has hosted the Asian games 4 times- 1966, 1970, 1978, 1998- yet the city did not make the 2008 short list.

It's good to be the winner. I wonder how you feel being always the loosers (even at the 2012 bid!)

VIVE LA FRANCE!

We have a saying in Britain which I think is appropriate to use here...."don't lose your 'marbles' PYROSS!"....  :;):

If Bangkok wasn't bangkok but an other city with the same experience, believe me, they would have got the games.

If experience is everything, then Capetown is a shoe in for 2016.

By then they would have hosted 2 rugby world cups (possibly), a cricket world cup, a commonwelath games and a football world cup.. yet, we all know thats not going to happen.. Esspecially if NYC wins 2012.

Archived