O2 denied Dome naming rights during Olympics

MIKYSALT

O2 will see its brand 'blanked' from the Millennium Dome when the venue's most high-profile event yet, the London Olympics 2012, rolls into town.

Just two months into its £6m-a-year initiative to rebrand the Dome as "the O2", the mobile network has found itself on the wrong side of strict IOC rules.

In May, the mobile network announced a six-year deal with Dome owner Anschutz Entertainment Group to rename the venue, but is unlikely to benefit from media coverage during the three-week event now it has been confirmed as an official Olympics venue.

The venue is being lined up to host the gymnastics competition, although it is not yet known how organisers or the media will refer to it.

IOC rules state that all venues must be "clean" of non-sponsor branding. An IOC spokeswoman said no exception would be made unless O2 became an official sponsor.

O2's sponsorship of the Dome comes into effect in 2007. Executives hope that by 2012, recognition of the venue as the O2 will be so high that a temporary name change will not affect it.

An AEG spokeswoman said that no agreement had yet been reached on what would happen to the O2 during the Olympics.

Link

484435_1.jpg

dome.jpg

Guest ryan04

Im glad about that the Millemium Dome will always be its real name

agreed, that is what i know it by, and most of the US knows it by, why would it be named the 02 Dome

I have to say I think it was a stroke of genius to include the Dome in the bid. I think it's a great, great building that will finally have a decent purpose.

My understanding is that foreigners actually quite like it. Hopefully, with its new lease of life, it will lose its identity as a symbol of everything that's wrong with Britain and become liked by the majority of Brits as well.

It'll make a very interesting Gymnastics venue, that's for sure...

DomeNightView.jpg

040417_n061.jpg

dome980629.jpg

Rob, I agree with you.  The Dome is to London what the Olympic Stadium is to Montreal.  A local reminder of a dream gone wrong but an international expression of the city's boldness.  Both are looked at with disinterest locally, but both are appreciated as a symbol of the city internationally.  If not for 9-11, the World Trade Centre would fit that role in NYC.  Before the terrorist attacks, many New Yorkers were indifferent to the towers, but many international visitors viewed them as an icon of the city's character.

Rob, I agree with you.  The Dome is to London what the Olympic Stadium is to Montreal.  A local reminder of a dream gone wrong but an international expression of the city's boldness.  Both are looked at with disinterest locally, but both are appreciated as a symbol of the city internationally.  If not for 9-11, the World Trade Centre would fit that role in NYC.  Before the terrorist attacks, many New Yorkers were indifferent to the towers, but many international visitors viewed them as an icon of the city's character.

yeah, the NYC guide i have had when down there said that most people didn't really care about them and thought they were ugly, and after people said they were so ugly they were beautiful.

This is IOC regulations.  No non-sponsor or corporate names on the venues. The Delta Centre in Salt Lake became the Ice Palace.  GM Place in Vancouver will get a new temporary name.  So this is a normal thing.

Same goes for Telstra Stadium, it being referred to Stadium Australia for the lead up and during the 2000 Games.

Question: Is the O2 Dome referred to as the “Oxygen Dome” or “O2 Dome”?

"The Dome" sounds tons better. I hope that's how it's referred to for years to come.

"The O2 Arena?" Don't make me laugh! I'm not an anti-capitalist, but I do find it sad when we have to refer to stadia, competitions and arenas with corporate sponsors tagged on to them.

Archived