Salt Lake 2002 10th Anniversary

Awhile back I was able to find the daily newspaper distributed at the Olympic Village. Thought this would be fun to share. I have every days edition to share throughout the coming weeks.

p.s. I don't have a scanner big enough here at my house but have one at work. So for today I just took pics.... I will re-upload a more readable version later.

Also, feel free to contribute if you would like to share anything you might have or insight, thought whatever :) .

The Olympic Record - January 29, 2002

6786328911_b0ab47ee4e.jpg 6786340651_c164524d60.jpg6786338983_f8fedcb281.jpg6786342477_8dd71150ff.jpg6786344437_d8e5e10e85.jpg6786346317_d0c29197c9.jpg6786348373_1b2a27231e.jpg6786349901_443c31dd47.jpg

OlyRecXIX_1-8 by Salt Lake XIX, on Flickr

OlyRecXIX_1-7 by Salt Lake XIX, on Flickr

OlyRecXIX_1-6 by Salt Lake XIX, on Flickr

OlyRecXIX_1-5 by Salt Lake XIX, on Flickr

OlyRecXIX_1-4 by Salt Lake XIX, on Flickr

OlyRecXIX_1-3 by Salt Lake XIX, on Flickr

OlyRecXIX_1-2 by Salt Lake XIX, on Flickr

OlyRecXIX_1-1 by Salt Lake XIX, on Flickr

:o really fast ten years have passed, i was in Orlando, FL when the opening ceremony was :rolleyes: i still remember it :') but i didnt put much attention in the rest of the games, i started intresting in WOG since Sochi was elected... :P

I was 16 during these games and i remember mostly the opening and closing ceremonies, Sarah Hughes beating the great Slutskeya and Kwan to gold and also the Canadian couple not getting gold, then getting gold. Also there was ofcourse the first gold medal for GB since Torvill and Dean with the (Scottish) Curlers.

The bad part of the games was Alain Baxter getting his bronze medal for skiing taken away due to taking a cold spray and being accused of drug cheating

For anyone around the Salt Lake Area here is a list of events:

RELIGHTING THE FLAME

A ceremonial relighting of the 2002 cauldron takes place the evening of February 8, remaining lit for public viewing through February 11.

February 9-11

Cauldron Park, Rice-Eccles Stadium

10-YEAR ANNIVERSARY OLYMPIC SPORT FESTIVAL

On Saturday, February 18, 2012, an outdoor sport festival will be held in the streets of The Gateway shopping center in downtown Salt Lake City.

During the street festival, participants will have an opportunity to meet winter Olympic athletes, participate in interactive winter sport demonstrations and view commemorative exhibits about the 2002 Winter Games.

The festival will also serve as an official stop for the United States Olympic Committee’s (USOC) “Road to London” Tour – a family-friendly, interactive experience that offers fans a chance to learn about the Olympic Movement, participate in simulated events and meet athletes. The 2012 Road to London Tour, sponsored by Hilton HHonors, Samsung and TD Ameritrade, will make a total of four stops before culminating in Chicago in July.

February 18 from 10a - 5p

The Gateway in downtown Salt Lake City

Free & open to the public

A TRIBUTE TO SALT LAKE 2002 WITH STARS ON ICE

Pay tribute to the success of the 2002 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games in this special event featuring skating performances and memorable highlights from Salt Lake 2002.

February 18 from 7p - 9p

Energy Solutions Arena

Tickets starting at $20.

PARK CITY COMMUNITY CELEBRATION

Join the Olympic fun with highlight videos, Olympic spirit contest, Olympic mascots, a FREE concert from Robert Randolph and fireworks! This community celebration kicks off the FIS Freestyle World Cup at Deer Valley Resort.

The first 30 people to post a copy of their photos or stories from 2002 on the Community Olympic Wall in the Kimball Art Center at 5 p.m. get a limited edition 10-year Anniversary Pin!

February 1 from 5 – 9p

Main Street, Park City

UTAH OLYMPIC PARK COMMUNITY CELEBRATION

Celebrate with Olympic and Paralympic athletes who have special ties to the Park City & Summit County community.

February 9 from 5 – 6p

Utah Olympic Park

KEARNS COMMUNITY CELEBRATION

The community of Kearns “Welcomes the World” once again! Re-live the Winter Olympics with a live Parade of Nations, a Children of Light figure skating performance, sport exhibitions, a torch re-lighting with past and present Speedskating athletes, autographs and photos with athletes, and 2002 Olympic memorabilia.

February 17 from 6 – 9p

Utah Olympic Oval

>>>Olympic Exhibits:

GEORGE ECCLES 2002 OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES MUSEUM

Joe Quinney Winter Sport Center, Utah Olympic Park

Daily 10a - 6p

SALT LAKE 2002 VISITORS CENTER

Olympic Cauldron Park, University of Utah

Monday-Friday 10a - 6p

OLYMPIC EXPERIENCE EXHIBITION

J. Willard Marriott Library, Special Collections Reading Room, Level 4, University of Utah

February 1 – 29

Monday-Friday 8a - 6p, Saturday 9:15a - 6p

KIMBALL ART CENTER OLYMPIC EXHIBIT

Park Avenue, Park City

February 1 – April 7

Monday-Thursday 10a - 5p, Friday 10a - 7p, Saturday 12 - 7p, Sunday 12 - 5p

>>>And finally some competitions going on:

FIS FREESTYLE SKI WORLD CUP AT DEER VALLEY RESORT

February 2 - 4

Competitors from around the world challenge each other and themselves on Deer Valley's 2002 Olympic runs. Please visit www.DeerValley.com for a detailed schedule.

SPRINT U.S. SNOWBOARDING & FREESKIING GRAND PRIX AT CANYONS

February 9 - 12

Canyons plays host to the world's best male and female Snowboardcross and Skicross riders as they race head-to-head. www.CanyonsResort.com

WINTER DEW TOUR CHAMPIONSHIPS AT SNOWBASIN RESORT

February 9 - 12

This championship stage, complete with year-end Awards Ceremony, showcases the world’s top freeski and snowboard athletes competing in Slopestyle and Superpipe,www.Snowbasin.com

INTERCONTINENTAL CUP AT UTAH OLYMPIC PARK

February 10 - 11

Watch elite level Skeleton athletes race head-first down the 2002 Olympic track while competing for the Intercontinental Cup title.

6804609333_904456ee39.jpg

Celebrations Poster by Salt Lake XIX, on Flickr

Athletes signing autographs

6804608993_e91e1ed0b4.jpg

Athletes Signing Autographs by Salt Lake XIX, on Flickr

Part of one of the Olympic Exhibits:

6804608911_b67e7d79f9.jpg

2002 Museum by Salt Lake XIX, on Flickr

Wow, 10 years have gone by....

That video just makes me want to have another Olympics back here in the states! We can still dream, and hopefully it happens again sooner rather than later.

Mitt Romney is making his leadership during the Olympics a prime talking point, so it would be interesting having him as president if and when the USOC decides to bid.

Yes, I remember the Salt Lake Games. I really enjoyed it. I like reading the competition schedule of it.

Salt Lake is truly tailor-made for the Olympics. If the bidding politics were different, I wouldn't have a problem with the USOC offering them up every time.

I agree with you. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit into the IOC's current approach very well. Reno would pale in comparison to Salt Lake. It would be a big step backwards. Yet, Reno probably has a better shot than SLC solely because SLC hosted before. It really doesn't make sense, but it seems to be the way it is...

Of course. Reno-Tahoe can also draw upon the happy memories of Squaw Valley 1960 which were successful Games!

That doesn't really inspire confidence. By 2022 almost no one will remember Squaw Valley (which isn't even in the same state as Reno). Plus the Winter Games in the 60's bore little resemblance to the Games now. The venues and infrastructure from 2002 would be a great foundation for 2022. 1960 offers no foundation to speak of. Still, the IOC is all about variety and for that reason they would probably dismiss SLC despite it's obvious merit.

That doesn't really inspire confidence. By 2022 almost no one will remember Squaw Valley (which isn't even in the same state as Reno). Plus the Winter Games in the 60's bore little resemblance to the Games now. The venues and infrastructure from 2002 would be a great foundation for 2022. 1960 offers no foundation to speak of. Still, the IOC is all about variety and for that reason they would probably dismiss SLC despite it's obvious merit.

Just as you say the 1972 fiasco of Denver will be forgotten, I don't really think outsiders can get caught up in whether events were / will be in Nevada or California proper.

Summer Olympics play their games across at least 3 states (the soccer venues)...so why should it matter whether 1960 or any events for 2022 will again be on the Calif side of the Lake? The Tour de France includes several countries; Moscow 1980 had their yachting events in what is now Latvia. Beijing had their equestrian events in Hong Kong. Those internal borders are mere pfiffle. And as far as any Calif sites in a 2022 plan, it is just across the border. It's not like they have to fly 2-3 hours to get to that other venue. Visitors really won't care where that imaginary state border sits. But you harp on the subject like the Games were being played in a Cold war East and West Berlin where people would have to go thru checkpoints and border guards.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Oops. Just came across this rather tiny but I think significant bit on wikipedia:

Plans to Launch Gay Winter Games in 1986 Fail

Plans to launch a complementary Gay Winter Games, slated for February 1986 in Denver, Colorado collapsed, due to a lack of sufficient funding and logistical problems.

Hmmmm. First they bail out in 1972; and then could not even organize a smaller Gay Winter games in 1986? Hmmmmm, what can these Denverites do right???

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Moscow 1980 had their yachting events in what is now Latvia.

It was in what is now (and was in 1980) Estonia. The Finnish and (under the Soviets illegal) Estonian national anthems have the same tune and Finland won a gold medal in one of the yachting events at Tallinn. People sang along to the Finnish national anthem using the Estonian lyrics and the Soviets couldn't do anything about it.

Back on topic, Salt Lake put on a great Games but it would be boring if the Games went back to the same cities time and time agian, it's better to go to different places.

It was in what is now (and was in 1980) Estonia. The Finnish and (under the Soviets illegal) Estonian national anthems have the same tune and Finland won a gold medal in one of the yachting events at Tallinn. People sang along to the Finnish national anthem using the Estonian lyrics and the Soviets couldn't do anything about it.

Right. I stand corrected. Wow! What an interesting anecdote, Markun.

And oddly enough, it was Esko Reckardt in the "Finn" class? :lol: Doubly ironic!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The Salt Lake games were one of my favorite Olympics! Here is a quick recap via the ever popular NBC closing credits montage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OhMOHMu5oc

Sadly, Michelle Kwan (my favorite skater) missed winning the gold medal in Ladies Figure Skating a second time, but she delivered one of her most memorable and beautiful programs ever in the figure skating gala:

Salt-Lake-2002_Winter_Olympics_flame.jpg

It's funny, I was at Squaw Valley during the second week of the Salt Lake Games. Was in Reno for the week and was thinking of driving across the state to check out the SLC games. At least the following year Vancouver pulled thru and I was able to enjoy the games on our own turf two years ago.