Bidding Figures

alphamale86

I feel as though every Olympic Cycle we go through the same story. I city bids, saying that they are keeping costs down by doing x y and z and then after they win the bid they go crazy on spending. Does the IOC take this, what I believe fact that the bid figures mean nothing, into account when they are going through the bids.

A lot of the time, I believe, the low figure count and the "we will do this to make it happen" statements are simply posturing to gain public approval for the bid.

... once the bid is secured, all bets are off (though, as mentioned, it is very likely that the big organizers know well before what the real cost of doing business is).

It's simply a matter of trying to keep costs down on paper. But actual construction costs and so forth end up swelling and the figure can easily be several more billion than anticipated.

In the end it's simply a matter of debt to pay, whether it be several billion or a mere 100 or so million. Also, one could consider many general infrastructure developments as part of public taxpayer spending anyways.

Archived