Africa Denied Paris, Munich Bids: Blatter

Sir Rols

Paris and Munich could never win Olympics after upsetting Africa, claims Blatter

January 24 - FIFA President Sepp Blatter (pictured left) has revealed why Paris lost out to London for the 2012 Olympics and why Munich never stood a chance of upsetting Pyeongchang for the 2018 Winter Games: the African factor.

Blatter says failure to secure strong African support was a critical blow for Paris and Munich – the latter having a direct link to football.

In an interview with Kicker magazine, Blatter disclosed that German complaints about the 2010 World Cup in South Africa led to Munich's hopes of staging the 2018 Winter Games being scuppered when the vote took place at the International Olympic Committee (IOC) session in Durban last year.

"Allow me to reveal something to you which I predicted to Lord Mayor of Munich Christian Ude prior to the award of the 2018 Winter Olympics," said Blatter. a member of the IOC since 1998, the year he was elected as the head of FIFA.

"In the build-up to the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, [bayern Munich President] Uli Hoeness and company griped and moaned to the point where it couldn't get any worse.

"I advised Ude that Paris lost the 2012 Olympics to London because they failed to court the African votes.

"In the case of Munich, Issa Hayatou (pictured right), President of the African Confederation (CAF), clearly told Franz Beckenbauer before the award in Durban, 'you can't count on a single African vote for the Olympic Games in Munich.

"'We've not forgotten the way you tried to destroy the African World Cup.'

"And so it came to pass.

"You will never host the Olympic Games without the 12 African votes."

Insidethegames

Well, well, well! Not sure what to make of this. On the one hand, great story. On the other, I notice a comment after the story from "IOC insider" refuting the claim. And it IS Sepp ... I wouldn't put it past him to be stirring the Olympics pot after the IOC criticisms of him lately.

Munich mayor hits back at Blatter over jibe at Bayern’s Hoeness

Munich mayor Christian Ude has dismissed as “absurd” an assertion from FIFA president Sepp Blatter about his city’s defeat in the 2018 Winter Olympic Games bid race.

Blatter, in a major set-piece interview earlier this week with the European Sports Magazines group, had suggested that Munich lost because of negative comments about Africa from Bayern Munich boss Uli Hoeness.

Those comments, said Blatter, meant that Munich did not pick up any of the 12 African votes in the International Olympic Committee and opened the way for the South Korean resort of PyeongChang to win in the first round of voting at the IOC Session in Durban last year.

Ude has not always been onside with Hoeness who is now president of Bayern and was formerly a World Cup-winning (and Olympic) footballer.

However, asked for his reaction to Blatter’s comment, Ude said: “I think that is a very misleading suggestion. FC Bayern were deeply committed to out Olympics bid. The same applied to TSV 1860Munich and the entire German league – and Uli Hoeneß brought was very committed and involved on a personal level. That was clear during the visit of the evaluation commission of the IOC which they could not fail to have noted.

“Certainly Hoeness did make one little undiplomatic statement about which we were not very happy. Yet to link his comment about the staging of the World Cup in South Africa to our voting defeat in Durban by Pyeongchang would be incorrectly: an absurd accusation.

“You only need look at only the voting result [PyeongChang 63, Munich 25]. Even if we would have picked up all 12 African votes, Pyeongchang would still have been a clear winner.

“For me this is just a battle between football officials, using the Olympic bid as a weapon.”

http://keirradnedge.com/2012/01/24/munich-mayor-hits-back-at-blatter-over-2018-winter-games-defeat/

Yeah, Rob, as you said in your comment in Insidethegames, with such a landslide to PC, the African votes wouldn't have changed the result. In a tight race, the African votes are surely valuable - but I fail to see what evidence Sepp gives for Paris losing on the back of upsetting the Africans.

Someone please enlighten me... what the hell does the prez of Bayern Munich have to do with Munich 2018? Was Hoeness in any way majorly involved with the bid team, or is this purely Sepp's way of getting back at Hoeness for some past football-related antagonism between the two?

Not only that, but could African IOC members even conceivably be that petty to not vote for a quality bid because of the words of one individual about a particular country on a huge continent? Do the North African IOC members take offence to something said about a country 10 000 km away?

Yeah, Rob, as you said in your comment in Insidethegames, with such a landslide to PC, the African votes wouldn't have changed the result. In a tight race, the African votes are surely valuable - but I fail to see what evidence Sepp gives for Paris losing on the back of upsetting the Africans.

Unless there are some quotes missing from the article you posted, he doesn't does he? I think the article's headline is misleading and actually confuses matters. Blatter claims the French failed to court African voters. It's only the Germans he believes upset them.

Ok, the African vote is perhaps the strongest one, there i agree... Paris lost cuz of that... Agree... But come on! The fact that only cuz Germany defated South Africa in the 2006 made Munich loose on 2018? Naaa South Africa still obrained the world cup so i dont know why should they still be amgry with Germany... Anyways that maybe something more intresting in 2024 if Casablanca and Durban bid the african vote wont be strong ;) now, that's intresting ;)

Ok, the African vote is perhaps the strongest one, there i agree...

You reckon? I thought Europe still had more than half of the IOC member votes. And I'm pretty sure Asia also has more than Africa.

Actually, I'm surprised Sepp didn't blame England's WC 2018 defeat on Africa as well - I seem to remember the South Africans also whining at the British press about "negative publicity" in the lead up to the 2010 WC.

Yep, you sure lost the cannibal vote!

LOL! Tell that the former mayor. African IOC members should expect a city to support their countries more then ever (because majority of the continent cannot afford tickets, but third generation ppl from those countries reside in Toronto).

You reckon? I thought Europe still had more than half of the IOC member votes. And I'm pretty sure Asia also has more than Africa.

Actually, I'm surprised Sepp didn't blame England's WC 2018 defeat on Africa as well - I seem to remember the South Africans also whining at the British press about "negative publicity" in the lead up to the 2010 WC.

yes there are more member in another continents, but Europe always has more than a candidate, also Asia... Africa is like: all africans vote for the same city... ;)

Africa is like: all africans vote for the same city... ;)

I really doubt that - they can't even support their own en-masse in votes like the 2014 CWGs. I really think the idea of "continental bloc" votes is highly over-estimated.

This just in...

The Germans pay for their complaints during the World Cups in '78, '82, '86, '90, '94, '98, '02 and '10, thus resulting in lack of support for their 2018 bid from the Americas, Europe, Asia and Africa!

Way to put all of the puzzle pieces together Sepp! What would we do without you in charge!!

I really doubt that - they can't even support their own en-masse in votes like the 2014 CWGs. I really think the idea of "continental bloc" votes is highly over-estimated.

I'd agree with deawebo in that Pan-African unity seems stronger than in Europe or Asia. We saw a bit of that during the World Cup when all of Africa cheered for the lone-standing Ghana. Whereas I don't see the big European rivals supporting each other, nor China/Korea/Japan- both in sports and in bidding votes.

I am almost positive that el Moutawakel voted for Munich. As did most of the winter IF presidents.

Blatter is talking out of his arse. English African votes went to London, French African votes went to Paris.

Franz Beckenbauer confirmed yesterday on a German TV talk show (the new show of entertainer Thomas Gottschalk) that Hayatou has said that to him. But he also said that Munich didn't lose because of the lack of support from Africa, but because of the lack of sufficient support from European IOC members.

Fun fact (or rather "embarrassment fact"): Beckenbauer didn't remember the name of Pyeongchang in that talk show when he mentioned Munich's two rival bids. He said "Yangpyeong or whatever they are called"... :rolleyes: Forgive him, he's a charming guy and quite a clever businessman, but apart from that, he's simply not the brightest star under the sun...

Franz Beckenbauer confirmed yesterday on a German TV talk show (the new show of entertainer Thomas Gottschalk) that Hayatou has said that to him. But he also said that Munich didn't lose because of the lack of support from Africa, but because of the lack of sufficient support from European IOC members.

That makes sense. Wasn't Munich supposed to depend on the votes that traditionally didn't vote for Pyeongchang- namely the European members and the winter IF heads...

I keep telling you peepz that this "holier than thou" attitude from Europeans wont be accepted anymore...

The world is changing rapidly and you better respect other countries/cultures. Even more now that europe wont ever regain the power it had in the past... Quite the contrary...

what UK press is doing to the south american WC wont be forgotten, also. You can bet on that...

and that translates to a lot of diplomatic decisions, not just bids elections...

I keep telling you peepz that this "holier than thou" attitude from Europeans wont be accepted anymore...

The world is changing rapidly and you better respect other countries/cultures. Even more now that europe wont ever regain the power it had in the past... Quite the contrary...

what UK press is doing to the south american WC wont be forgotten, also. You can bet on that...

and that translates to a lot of diplomatic decisions, not just bids elections...

The British media attack everything though.

It's true sections of the British Press were unfair on South Africa and are being a bit unfair on Ukraine/Poland as we speak.

But with regard to Brazil 2014, I've seen very little tabloid nonsense so far. What Blatter and Valcke have said about Brazil's prepations is newsworthy, so is the ISL stuff that has involved Teixeira. These are the things that have been reported on and rightly so. But I look forward to the diplomatic bombshell Brazil will apparently launch against our country in retaliation. That should be fun to see! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeh, an old commercial building went to the ground because of irresponsible workers that were doing an internal reform without legal consent and the brittish press came with the conclusion:

"Rio/Brazil is not read for 20146/2016 olympics".

I mean, seriously? WTF is that? They deduced that the sportive venues in 14/16 wouldn't be safe because of a building..

Btw, England just sent a Destroyer to the south-Atlantic sea that according to the UK official "could destroy all of south-america fleet". Nice gesture, britts.

It's true sections of the British Press were unfair on South Africa and are being a bit unfair on Ukraine/Poland as we speak.

But with regard to Brazil 2014, I've seen very little tabloid nonsense so far. What Blatter and Valcke have said about Brazil's prepations is newsworthy, so is the ISL stuff that has involved Teixeira. These are the things that have been reported on and rightly so. But I look forward to the diplomatic bombshell Brazil will apparently launch against our country in retaliation. That should be fun to see! :lol:

To a point. In 2005/2006 things weren't looking good for South Africa and there was whispers of backroom discussions on if the tournament needed to be moved. South Africa pushed forward and accelerated their preperations because of it. And it was FIFA making those statements, just like it is FIFA now expressing concerns about Brazil. Same with Ukraine. They really were under threat to have their matches moved to Germany or Austria.

Archived